Preditions for the AIL D 1 1 A, 2 and 3

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

rugbyrugby
Beginner

Preditions for the AIL D 1 1 A, 2 and 3

Post by rugbyrugby »

Considering the AIL is starting this saturday i was hoping for a few preditions relating to winners, promoted teams and relegation preditions. I know the Provincial leagues are nothing to go by, but does anyone out there know anything about teams doing well etc. I presume Rock are strong in div 1 because they have had high representation in the Leinster Academy set up over the last few years plus recruited well, anyone else? only presuming the Munster Teams will be very strong. Heard CLontarf have spent alot of money. In division 1 B Belvo look strong so far (good win v Clontarf), Any Munster Ulster Teams (Ballynahinch-will they be as strong without McLaughlin as coach? In Division two will Lansdowne be strong. I hear Galway Corinthians are strong? Are Ards favs for Division 3?

I see that Junior Rugby has good banter leading up to the weekend, thought this was worth a discussion?
true blue 06
Mullet

Re: Preditions for the AIL D 1 1 A, 2 and 3

Post by true blue 06 »

i reckon marys and clontarf will do well this year
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Young Munster are doing well so far this season, beat Boh's in the Charity Cup on Sat(the game was shite though), after hammering Shannon in an earlier round, have beaten Garryowen already this season too, they should do well in 1B this year, but we will have to wait and see.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

I'm afraid UCC will struggle in 1B, they hav lost 16 of last year's squad. They'll have a lot of travelling to do as well.
Cheers
Beginner

Post by Cheers »

I'm just gonna throw out a few wild but not baseless predictions here

Winners and/or promoted

Division 1a - Shannon
Division 1b - Ballymena, Galwegians
Division 2 - Lansdowne & wide open
Division 3 - Instonians, Portadown

Relegated

Division 1a - UL Boh's, Dolphin
Division 1b - UCC, Buccs
Division 2 - Clonakilty, DLSP
Division 3 - Co. Carlow, Sunday's Well (p/o)
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

CUS will win the lot.
Get in the f%~king bag.
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Clontarf will take some stopping this season.They have recruited very well ,i am going to the mary's and Clontarf match on Saturday it will be interesting to see how Paul O'Donohoe and Harris-Wright get on
rugbyrugby
Beginner

Post by rugbyrugby »

P O D will be a savage player at AIL this season, however i could still see him getting game time in the ML (simon keogh is sub 9 at the mo). All eyes will be on clontarf, good match tonight, League Opener under lights (shannon Garryowen). For me its the only way forward to attract the bigger crowds, midweek floodlight games, how much fun would that be. Shannon started slowly last season, will see
Cheers
Beginner

Post by Cheers »

Shame that Limerick derby isn't on the telly, I hope the "Agsint the Head" package carries it midweek, last year's final shows that the club game is as good as some of the dross Magners Lge fictures they roll out
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

A great win today for St Marys
happyaslarry182
Beginner

Post by happyaslarry182 »

Marys looked good alright but Shannon will be a big test for them. Clontarf look like they might need a couple of weeks to get to know each other. I reckon Blackrock, if they defend like they did against UL will be very good this season. Depends on how many of their Leinster lads they can keep using.

Good website following Div1A this year. Top8.ie - Lots of stats and collates all info together well. Top try scorers and all that.
Cheers
Beginner

Post by Cheers »

Looks like Lansdowen & UCD will blow a lot of teams away in Div 2
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw UL Bohs lose to Con on Saturday. They haven't scored a try in either game so far and I think will struggle in 1A.
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

Winners and/or promoted

Division 1a - St. Marys Rfc
Division 1b - Ballymena,
Division 2 - Lansdowne (if they dont its a disgrace)
Division 3 - ?

Relegated

Division 1a - UL Boh's,
Division 1b - Buccs
Division 2 - Terenure,
Division 3 - ?
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

garr17 wrote:Winners and/or promoted

Division 1a - St. Marys Rfc
Division 1b - Ballymena,
Division 2 - Lansdowne (if they dont its a disgrace)
Division 3 - ?

Relegated

Division 1a - UL Boh's,
Division 1b - Buccs
Division 2 - Terenure,
Division 3 - ?

I dont think Terenure are that bad i saw them play against Mary's in a preseason friendly and they only lost by 2 points .Terenure will finish in the top half of division 2
rugbyrugby
Beginner

Post by rugbyrugby »

I 100% agree with that. Nure had a good opening day win over DU in the league plus they racked up some big results preseason. Lansdowne had a sick team out last Sat, if they dont win the league they will be shouting Babe Ruth from the terreces. Some good teams in D3 also, it seems the leinster teams have started well (Bar Clontarf) in most leagues, Rock Marys, Old Belvo, Lans, UCD, DLSP, Bective, Wanderers, Navan
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

rugbyrugby wrote:I 100% agree with that. Nure had a good opening day win over DU in the league plus they racked up some big results preseason. Lansdowne had a sick team out last Sat, if they dont win the league they will be shouting Babe Ruth from the terreces. Some good teams in D3 also, it seems the leinster teams have started well (Bar Clontarf) in most leagues, Rock Marys, Old Belvo, Lans, UCD, DLSP, Bective, Wanderers, Navan

Clontarf have been very poor they conceded 4 soft tries against Mary's in the first half .They brought in a lot of players in preseason and there not playing as a team at all Jackman really has his work cut out there but they will come good its just a matter of time
garr17
Knowledgeable

Post by garr17 »

christy wrote:
rugbyrugby wrote:I 100% agree with that. Nure had a good opening day win over DU in the league plus they racked up some big results preseason. Lansdowne had a sick team out last Sat, if they dont win the league they will be shouting Babe Ruth from the terreces. Some good teams in D3 also, it seems the leinster teams have started well (Bar Clontarf) in most leagues, Rock Marys, Old Belvo, Lans, UCD, DLSP, Bective, Wanderers, Navan

Clontarf have been very poor they conceded 4 soft tries against Mary's in the first half .They brought in a lot of players in preseason and there not playing as a team at all Jackman really has his work cut out there but they will come good its just a matter of time
goes to show moeny doesnt always buy you success
SEXTON IS A GOD!!!!!
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Personally I don't think it was a good move to get Birch as coach by Clontarf. His primary job demands that he be with Leinster on weekends. Fine if Leinster are playing Friday night at home or near an airport but Saturdays home or away and Sundays away means he wont be there for 'Tarf's games.
He has shown that he has coaching potential with Newbridge and Coolmine but I think an AIL job while stil having a professional playing contract and, you'd imagine, International ambitions was not such a good move for either party.
christy
Bookworm

Post by christy »

Durkah Durkah wrote:Personally I don't think it was a good move to get Birch as coach by Clontarf. His primary job demands that he be with Leinster on weekends. Fine if Leinster are playing Friday night at home or near an airport but Saturdays home or away and Sundays away means he wont be there for 'Tarf's games.
He has shown that he has coaching potential with Newbridge and Coolmine but I think an AIL job while stil having a professional playing contract and, you'd imagine, International ambitions was not such a good move for either party.

I agree with that he was at the Marys v tarf match a few hours before Leinster v Munster match that cant be an ideal build up to a match.What is he going to do for away games