J4 Rugby Metro League

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

BlueBlue
Seán Cronin

Re: J4 Rugby Metro League

Post by BlueBlue »

If there is a trend of teams not contesting scrums they will be questioned on it and may have points deducted.
drive for 5
Munster 6-Leinster 25 H-cup semi Croke
Leinster 30-Munster 0 2009/10 RDS
Munster 15-Leinster 16 2009/10 Thomond
Leinster 16-Munster 6 2009/10 semi RDS
Leinster 13-Munster 9 2010 Lansdowne
Munster 16-Leinster 22 POC kicks DK in head 2013
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

BlueBlue wrote:If there is a trend of teams not contesting scrums they will be questioned on it and may have points deducted.
Hasn't happend so far. And some teams are completely taking the piss at this stage.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Donny B. wrote:
BlueBlue wrote:If there is a trend of teams not contesting scrums they will be questioned on it and may have points deducted.
Hasn't happend so far. And some teams are completely taking the piss at this stage.
Either points deduction or that trial they did in France - go to uncontested scrums, you lose a player.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

combatlogo wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Either points deduction or that trial they did in France - go to uncontested scrums, you lose a player.
Personally, I think teams should have one game per season where they can go uncontested without penalty, but after that you lose half your match points. At the moment teams are turning up, taking one look at our big props and saying they have to go uncontested (even though you can see their props standing on the sideline). It's purely cynical gamesmanship and only the threat of points deduction will remove it. One team, which I won't name, tried it on with us. Their coach said they had injuries and couldn't scrummage and our coach said "that's fine, you didn't give me 48 hours notice so I'll take the points!" Now our coach was spoofing but the other coach didn't know this so he then said "Okay, we will scrummage then!" When asked about his injured props he said "ah, they'll be grand!" This is how blatant it is!!!
Soundgav2
Learner

Post by Soundgav2 »

There were fully contested scrums in the Marys-Tallaght game on Sat!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Soundgav2 wrote:There were fully contested scrums in the Marys-Tallaght game on Sat!
Good to hear, although not that it did us any bloody good!!! :?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Anyone know if the Section A top of the table clash between Marys and Belvo went ahead last night? No result up on the Leinster website.
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Belvo won 9/8.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bgmusic wrote:Belvo won 9/8.
Cheers! Sounds like a muddy one!!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

combatlogo wrote: Either points deduction or that trial they did in France - go to uncontested scrums, you lose a player.

Points deductions will simply annoy teams and players will drift away. Unfortunately we can't have it both ways.
I agree that some teams take the proverbial but in many cases at lower levels, teams genuinely struggle to field props.
Remember, it's J4 rugby ... not exactly full of prime athletes at the peak of their powers.

It's a problem that will remain for a while yet though
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leinsterman wrote:
combatlogo wrote: Either points deduction or that trial they did in France - go to uncontested scrums, you lose a player.

Points deductions will simply annoy teams and players will drift away. Unfortunately we can't have it both ways.
I agree that some teams take the proverbial but in many cases at lower levels, teams genuinely struggle to field props.
Remember, it's J4 rugby ... not exactly full of prime athletes at the peak of their powers.

It's a problem that will remain for a while yet though
That should make it easier to find props, not harder!!!

It's a problem that will remain as long as teams are allowed to continually take the piss. It's like a football team turning up with no tall fellas to play centre back and saying "we're not heading the ball today lads, to the feet only".

If we'll lose players who will only play when they have nice uncontested scrums, they'll be no loss!
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Pool A Blackrock 30, Coolmine 103.can this be true ?,has any Blackrock team,club or school ever conceded 100 points ?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bgmusic wrote:Pool A Blackrock 30, Coolmine 103.can this be true ?,has any Blackrock team,club or school ever conceded 100 points ?
Wow! I know Rock have been stuggling this year but that's incredible! :shock:
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

Something that is really starting to annoy me is the "scorlines" some of the refs come up with. Several times this season the result on the website has shaved the odd try off the real score. Are some of the refs really unable to count, or is there an attitude among a few of rounding down?
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Whats going on with Blackrock j4 ? A few weeks ago they concede 100 points to Coolmine,yet last saturday they beat league leaders Belvedere.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bgmusic wrote:Whats going on with Blackrock j4 ? A few weeks ago they concede 100 points to Coolmine,yet last saturday they beat league leaders Belvedere.
Remarkable turnaround alright! Perhaps they got some players back from last season cause they were excellent then.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

bgmusic wrote:Whats going on with Blackrock j4 ? A few weeks ago they concede 100 points to Coolmine,yet last saturday they beat league leaders Belvedere.
I didn't think you could be serious so I looked it up! 103-30! That is incredible! And considering the standard of kicking at this level I'm guessing only around 20 odd came from the boot. And how did they manage to score 30 if they were that bad! I'd say it was hilarious to watch.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Donny B. wrote:
Remarkable turnaround alright! Perhaps they got some players back from last season cause they were excellent then.
Not really. We've been struggling for numbers. Pure and simple.

We got some fresh bodies down post new years and actually held a training session and got some issues sorted.

To be honest we've let the club down and theres a hunger to turn things around. Also, I dont think Belvo's attitude was what it should have been on Sat. Naturally, they thought they were odds on and then couldn't lift it when they were being blown away for the first 40mins.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Jonathan
Beginner

Post by Jonathan »

After another weekend of matches, can someone please tell me why there are clubs out there that will not scrummage??
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Jonathan wrote:After another weekend of matches, can someone please tell me why there are clubs out there that will not scrummage??
It's a joke alright. I'd say anything up to 40% of games at this level start with uncontested scrums.