J4 Rugby Metro League

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: J4 Rugby Metro League

Post by Darce »

Fixtures out tomorrow.

They are introducing a super 6 format a la JP Fanangan 20's

Belvo dropping out of the league too
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Tallback
Beginner

Post by Tallback »

League Fixtures for J4 out now and some interesting matches ahead.

Also the friendly season is well under way with most teams getting a couple of games. Looking forward to a great season.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Does anyone know how the J4 league is actually meant to work this season?

I see the leagues have been split into smaller pools with only home or away fixtures. Is this some sort of qualifier for another league?
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

Donny B. wrote:Does anyone know how the J4 league is actually meant to work this season?

I see the leagues have been split into smaller pools with only home or away fixtures. Is this some sort of qualifier for another league?
Make Up of J4 League

Following the circulation of the provisional entry list for the J4 League last Monday we have established that 35 teams will be participating. Navan were not on Monday’s list and they replace last year’s winners Old Belvedere. The Anglesea Road side has dropped out as their team has broken up from last season and they would be unable to scrummage this season.

The extra numbers have caused a problem – last year there were 32 teams when the fixtures were issued, allowing four Sections of eight teams to be accommodated quite easily.

Another problem this year is that three of the November internationals are on Saturdays as are Leinster’s first two home games in the Heineken Cup – as the J4 League is a Saturday League it would make expansion to nine teams per section practically unworkable.

We have decided instead to introduce three Super Six Sections, two consisting of 12 teams and the other 11. The Sections are largely merit-based but also include geographic considerations.

The Super Six operates in two phases as follows:

1. Each Section will initially be divided into two groups of six with each team playing every other team once.

2. The top three teams in both groups will then advance into a 6-team pool, with their results against the teams advancing with them being carried forward into Phase 2. They will then play a complete home and away league with the other five teams (including the games carried forward). The bottom three teams in both groups will enter a similar pool and carry on likewise.

This Super Six system works really well in the JP Fanagan Premier League and hopefully it will be as successful here.

The proposed Sections are attached for your perusal and it is intended to issue the fixture lists on Friday.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Donny B. wrote:Does anyone know how the J4 league is actually meant to work this season?

Pretty much as below.

1st stage you play 5 games either home or away (Round Robin).

Then the top 3 from both pools then play each other home and away, with the bottom 3 teams playing each other home and away.

But if you've played a team in the 1st stage, you only play them once in the second stage.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cheers Waterboy and Darce!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:Fixtures out tomorrow.

They are introducing a super 6 format a la JP Fanangan 20's

Belvo dropping out of the league too
Looked like they just went down to the J5 league where they beat Bective 85-3
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

85-3...good lord.

In a calamitous piece of organising by the branch, they forgot to assign a ref to the Rock - 'Tarf fixture...
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:85-3...good lord.

In a calamitous piece of organising by the branch, they forgot to assign a ref to the Rock - 'Tarf fixture...
FFS!

As for J5, it looks like they'll follow Terenure's example and put an experienced team into a league with development teams and win every match by a landslide.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

In Section C this year. What are the teams like? I see Warriors and CYM were relegated last year.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Aparently Belvo and nure meeting the branch RE: J5 situation tonight/this week.

Will be interesting. Perhaps a redrawing of J4 with a Nure J4b and Belvo included? Would be shambolic given the league has commenced
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

That Gick J5 team last season had players who should have been J1/J2. Not so sure they were experienced Donny, a lot of them were fairly young with pace to burn and that makes a huge difference at that level. But scorlines in the 80's do nobody any favours.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

It should be noted that this years Gick J5 team is a different set of players compared to last season's 'All Stars'
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

Where have these All Stars gone ?
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

I believe some have gone up to J3 and some to J4
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
toffblue
Bookworm

Post by toffblue »

Any news on the LB's meeting with OB?

I heard that OB turned up in the J5 game against Bective and scrummaged. Thought the reason they went down to J5 was coz they couldn't. Not only that they screwed Bective in the process.

I'm open to correction on this as I have heard this second hand.

IF and a big IF this is the case it should be a straight red for OB imo - No J5 or J4.
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems." H J Simpson Esq
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

toffblue wrote:Any news on the LB's meeting with OB?
Think I got my facts incorrect and its actually tonight/wednesday
toffblue wrote:I heard that OB turned up in the J5 game against Bective and scrummaged. Thought the reason they went down to J5 was coz they couldn't. Not only that they screwed Bective in the process.

That is true. Dirty buggers
toffblue wrote:IF and a big IF this is the case it should be a straight red for OB imo - No J5 or J4.
Agreed
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

toffblue wrote:Any news on the LB's meeting with OB?

I heard that OB turned up in the J5 game against Bective and scrummaged. Thought the reason they went down to J5 was coz they couldn't. Not only that they screwed Bective in the process.

IF and a big IF this is the case it should be a straight red for OB imo - No J5 or J4.
If what I heard at training is right, Belvo are no longer in the J5 league.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Old Belvo have been put into J4 Section A, according to a Branch email I just received.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Leinsterman wrote:Old Belvo have been put into J4 Section A, according to a Branch email I just received.
Gang of c**ts
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on