New schools league structure

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

jimmyholly

New schools league structure

Post by jimmyholly »

Apparently the Branch have split the schools senior and junior leagues into two divisions without reference to the schools? Anyone got any info/opinion on it?
lebowski
Learner

Re: New schools league structure

Post by lebowski »

Got the information yesterday. The rational is that some schools have been getting well beaten every week in the league year after year with only the odd decent season which for these schools might mean two or three league wins. The division 2 sides never threaten the semi finals as the league was.
From the email I saw the division 1 teams are Gonzaga, CBC, Newbridge, Roscrea, Kings Hos, Kilkenny Pres Bray, and St Andrews with St Gerards included in Senior but not at Junior. The division 2 sides are CUS, Wesley, High School, Templeogue with the addition of Skerries, St Columbas, Newpark and St Pat's Navan. I am open to correction on these. This should lead to huge improvements in the more progressive section a teams such as Newpark. I wonder will it be 2 groups of 4 or one big league?

It seems strange not to consult the schools before changing the structure. I'm sure Tempelogue, High School and Wesley would be happy enough but CUS will be livid. You also can't have promotion/relegation as a school can have a weak team one season and a very strong one the next. I also wonder how it will work in terms of qualification for the cup?
Xplosive
Learner

Re: New schools league structure

Post by Xplosive »

First of all there is promotion on a one up and one down basis.

Secondly it is now all one group so everyone in division 1 plays each other and then semi finals are 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd.

This effectively means teams could play 10 league games. My only worry with this is that it removes any chance of friendlies so a team that does well in the league, qualifies for the top section cup and runs into one of the big 5 wont have any chance to aclimatise to the pace of the game. The first time they will play any of the big 5 will be in the Cup!! Before the strong league teams would be playing the rocks, clongowes etc in friendlies, that now is not a possibility due to no gap in the calender. Also previously schools could arrange friendlies againt other league teams that were not in their section, that obviously now is not an option either.

Finally by all accounts this was pushed through without any consoltation with the schools which seems a bit strange.