Gymnasium - Is it worth it?

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Dublinner
Bookworm

Gymnasium - Is it worth it?

Post by Dublinner »

We are considering putting on a Gym extension to our club. Im interested to hear the opinions of other clubs who have added Gyms. Has the investment been worth it or can it be a bit of a white elephant? Is the Gym used regularly? How do you control access? Do you need a trained instructor at all times etc etc. Any advice much appreciated.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Gymnasium - Is it worth it?

Post by Avenger »

Dublinner wrote:Do you need a trained instructor at all times etc etc.
I'm no expert but I'd imagine for insurance purposes that you would need an instructor there at least part time.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

my club have a small gym, no instructor, always fairly busy before and after training
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Gotta have a gym. Big boys don't need supervisors. Great to have the team training together too.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

I would check with your insurance company first, I know our club was told that a qualified instructor would need to be on site when the gym is opened, this is not practical or cheap but it is usually an insurance requirement. A gym is benefical to playing members but proper programs and instruction is necessary and don't go down the road of getting very expensive equipment a good weights room is essential and a few bicycles for injured players who can still train when injured and a kick/punch bag, skipping rope etc.. are all that is really required
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Essential to have qualified trainer for insurance purposes. We used someone straight after their degree so that it was experience for them and didn't cost very much.
Difficult to have all players use it. Noticed a drastic drop once people started losing jobs as the lucky ones were spending more time in work trying to preserve their livelyhood as opposed to chewing iron.
Don't waste money on cardiac equipment, they can all run outside, maybe a couple of bikes if you want. No money waste on machine weights either. Make it free weights with swiss balls, benches, squat racks, chin up bars.
Whatever you do, do not take for granted that the players know correct form, you must have your instructor make them programs and teach them correct technique otherwise it is a waste of time or dangerous