Blackrock Students

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: As for gay, I spent maths classes trying to get the phone number of the gorgeous American blonde sitting next to me. Meanwhile, the Rock boys were probably playing soggy biscuit in the all male dorms.... :P
Dude, you talk to girls? That is so gay!

Yeah, but they don't talk to me..... :cry: :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

jezzer wrote:McGinty the head of Rock is old school and definitely one to circle the wagons. Look at the reaction over the Anabels case.

Bit of a "Scent of a Woman" scenario - might have to send Pacino in...."Cradle of leadership? I oughtta take a flamethrower to this place!!"
I don't understand how they can get away it. If was minister for education I'd be onto him demanding an explanation. And if the explanation wasn't good enough I'd pull his grant.

Blackrock College is like a secret society..... :?
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Well in fairness, schools cup pranks are a fact of life. They happen every year and Rock are just unlucky that they make good copy and so this one has found it's way into the papers. You can be sure that the Michaels lads aren't innocent either.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:Well in fairness, schools cup pranks are a fact of life. They happen every year and Rock are just unlucky that they make good copy and so this one has found it's way into the papers. You can be sure that the Michaels lads aren't innocent either.
They do - and its not just rugby, school boys do that. The issue is the cover up (and this isn't the first to come out of Blackrock) - in any normal school these guys would have been kicked off the team and suspended from school. Not in Rock.
An Tarbh

Post by An Tarbh »

Frustrated Fullback wrote:The captain on the SCT was one of the artists, if you check the paper he was stripped of his captaincy between the 1st and 2nd match.

For the sake of the cup Belvo must win on Friday
He was only stripped of the captaincy because they didn't want him as captain in the first place, politics and all, it was a perfect excuse to take it off him, had it been their first choice captain he would have gotten away with it
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

McGinty the head of Rock is old school and definitely one to circle the wagons. Look at the reaction over the Anabels case.
I don't envy those kids having to visit Big Al's office after their little prank to explain themselves. He probably went through them for a short cut.

As for bringing up the Annabels thing, in what way are the 2 incidents in any way similar? McGinty advised the 4 former pupils who approached him to get solicitors and give statements to the police. They did this, and on the basis of those statements they were the only people to go to trial, 3 of them getting convicted. How is that circling the wagons?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Oscar wrote:I don't envy those kids having to visit Big Al's office after their little prank to explain themselves. He probably went through them for a short cut.
As for bringing up the Annabels thing, in what way are the 2 incidents in any way similar? McGinty advised the 4 former pupils who approached him to get solicitors and give statements to the police. They did this, and on the basis of those statements they were the only people to go to trial, 3 of them getting convicted. How is that circling the wagons?
Yeah, but did he suspend or expel any of them? As someone else said, just about any other school would have taken action to demonstrate they don't stand for it.

I'm not going to get into the finer points of the Anabels case, a lot of people know the situation in much more detail than I do. But few objective people that i know who were in a good position to judge would disagree that Blackrock in general and the Head in particular were working far harder to preserve the reputations of the school and the accused than to ensure justice was done to the full extent.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

When I was in first year in school, on the last day of the school year, four sixth years from a group of 25 (one whole class actually) mooned a car full of nuns coming out of a local convent. The headmaster called the entire class into school the next day. He asked the four lads to come forward. They didn't. He asked the class if they would give up the perpetrators. They wouldn't.

He expelled the entire class and they had to sit their leaving cert in the Dept of Educations facility in town.

That is how you deal with bad behaviour.
I have Bumbleflex
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Dave Cahill wrote:When I was in first year in school, on the last day of the school year, four sixth years from a group of 25 (one whole class actually) mooned a car full of nuns coming out of a local convent. The headmaster called the entire class into school the next day. He asked the four lads to come forward. They didn't. He asked the class if they would give up the perpetrators. They wouldn't.

He expelled the entire class and they had to sit their leaving cert in the Dept of Educations facility in town.

I would say thats how you over react
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

epaddy wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:When I was in first year in school, on the last day of the school year, four sixth years from a group of 25 (one whole class actually) mooned a car full of nuns coming out of a local convent. The headmaster called the entire class into school the next day. He asked the four lads to come forward. They didn't. He asked the class if they would give up the perpetrators. They wouldn't.

You might, but in the 4 subsequent years there was not one iota of trouble. It drew a line and let the rest of us know that any sort of anti-social behaviour would not be tolerated whatsoever, whether inside or outside school grounds or hours.
I have Bumbleflex
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Dave Cahill wrote:
epaddy wrote:

You might, but in the 4 subsequent years there was not one iota of trouble. It drew a line and let the rest of us know that any sort of anti-social behaviour would not be tolerated whatsoever, whether inside or outside school grounds or hours.
The other advantage of hard-line discipline is a reduction in bullying. It has been proven that in schools where there's a drop in discipline, one of the first things to occur is an increase in bullying. I saw this in my own school when a new principle came in. Not nearly tough enough on students and the increase in bullying of students was obvious.
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Oscar wrote:
McGinty the head of Rock is old school and definitely one to circle the wagons. Look at the reaction over the Anabels case.
I don't envy those kids having to visit Big Al's office after their little prank to explain themselves. He probably went through them for a short cut.

They aren't on the same planet in terms of importance or scale obviously....though i have to say, the fact that they went to their school is a bit fockin wierd. This is what parents/families/friends are supposed to do.... :?
hardCopy
Beginner

Post by hardCopy »

Duff Paddy wrote:Pres were royally focked over by the media a few years ago after we reacted to those knackers from St.Pauls at the DART station after a senior cup match. They still bring it up now! Most of my mates went to Michaels and there are some complete headcases in that school at the moment - they'll be out for revenge.
I don't remember hearing about that, what happened?
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

hardCopy wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Pres were royally focked over by the media a few years ago after we reacted to those knackers from St.Pauls at the DART station after a senior cup match. They still bring it up now! Most of my mates went to Michaels and there are some complete headcases in that school at the moment - they'll be out for revenge.
I don't remember hearing about that, what happened?
Dart station got smashed up after a match.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Pauls always were scumbags. Can't remember a game from U13s up where there wasn't aggro when we played them.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Pauls always were scumbags
remember playing them in the junior cup and their fans would be throwing anything they could find at you while you were waiting for kick offs to be taken
hardCopy
Beginner

Post by hardCopy »

jezzer wrote:Pauls always were scumbags. Can't remember a game from U13s up where there wasn't aggro when we played them.
Ah, the memories, :p
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Weren't the guys involved in the Annabels case in college or just finished the LC? Therefore what ground would the Head of the school have to expel or punish them?
Also, if they were post Leaving Certs, of course the Lead is going to prtect the image of the school when every gossip journalist in the country is using it to have a go at private schools and people who attend them to feed the chips on the publics shoulders.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Sosume
Enlightened

Post by Sosume »

A quick point on the initial topic.

Someone on the site the other day mentioned that they had their car keyed recently. School is where discipline and social conscience begins. Lose it here and its gone forever.

As for a penalty, the Dublin equivalent of the Boy George on the streets of New York recently would help sort those fockers out.