Referees Standards in Junior Rugby

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Referees Standards in Junior Rugby

Post by Darce »

Ref in the Rock Marys J4 had a shocker generally and capped it off by playing 39mins in the first half and 30mins in the 2nd half...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:Ref in the Rock Marys J4 had a shocker generally and capped it off by playing 39mins in the first half and 30mins in the 2nd half...
30 minutes? How did he manage that?
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:Ref in the Rock Marys J4 had a shocker generally and capped it off by playing 39mins in the first half and 30mins in the 2nd half...
I played a J1's match against Greystones once that lasted a little over 60 minutes I reckon. The game was a bit one sided and the ref was losing his patience at the bitching.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Donny B. wrote:
No idea.

I get the feeling he was a newbie ref as he had none of the refs gear that they normally wear and there was an assessor there too.

This game was far too big, given the history between these two sides, for a ref of that standard.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

It's J4.
Who would you want? Alfie Acheson or Alain Rolland?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

I just want someone who knows the laws and how to apply them.

This was a big grudge match for the players involved with plenty of bite in it.

I know refs give up their time, blah blah blah, but players also give a fair amount of that as well and I don't think its fair on us, for our biggest game of they year, to be given a sub standard ref
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

J4 games get J4 refs.
Just because it's a "grudge match" doesn't give it priority with the branch.
If the clubs have a problem, get onto Denis Collins but I know what he'll say to you .... and he'll be a lot less polite than me.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Whatever the refs ability LM, you'd hope he'd be at least able to read a bloody watch!!!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Ref was decent enough for our match v Guinness. Wasn't perfect but at least he admitted when he got stuff wrong.

Guinness don't help themselves though with the constant stream of abuse coming from their sideline. Was clearly pissing the ref off but they don't seem to be able to help themselves.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Donny B. wrote:Whatever the refs ability LM, you'd hope he'd be at least able to read a bloody watch!!!

Well that's true enough!
Maybe he got bored! :lol:
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Leinsterman wrote:J4 games get J4 refs.
That I have no problem with. Generally the standard has been good this year, but this guy was not J4 standard, far below it.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Had another great ref on Friday night. One suspect call of note(my binning!!!) but aside from that he was pretty much spot on. Great to have!
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
David Reid
Learner

Post by David Reid »

Not one of the ref at junior level can ref a scrum
Failure can't handle perseverance
Theboss
Learner

Post by Theboss »

David Reid wrote:Not one of the ref at junior level can ref a scrum
Neither can the international Refs! Most Refs have no idea what goes on in the scrum, they should all be made scrummage with some scrummaging coaches to see exactly what goes on and why.
David Reid
Learner

Post by David Reid »

Something should be done cause there is a difference in wheeling as scrum 90 and pushing it 90 at least if they had pratical practice they would be able to identify the obvious tell tales signs! Don't hold the breath tho
Failure can't handle perseverance
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've actually been very happy with how the scrums have gone at J5 level anyway. I'm sure there's plenty of illegal things being missed but there's been very few resets or free kicks and penalties given from them.
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

Amz wrote:You think Junior rugby gets bad refs? You should see what the women's teams have to put up with.

Some of the patronising BS we get from some of the old codgers is disgraceful, but I suppose we're "lucky" to get a ref at all sometimes.
Funny you say that. I had one women's game this season and I had to apologise for calling them "lads" all the time.
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

Darce wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
No idea.

I get the feeling he was a newbie ref as he had none of the refs gear that they normally wear and there was an assessor there too.

This game was far too big, given the history between these two sides, for a ref of that standard.
FYI
For some reason the Leinster Branch are being especially stingy with gear. I've already done my assessment and given up asking for gear so I'll probably buy it myself.
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

uncle fester wrote:
Amz wrote:You think Junior rugby gets bad refs? You should see what the women's teams have to put up with.

Some of the patronising BS we get from some of the old codgers is disgraceful, but I suppose we're "lucky" to get a ref at all sometimes.
Funny you say that. I had one women's game this season and I had to apologise for calling them "lads" all the time.
Ah, I don't think anyone minds that :)
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I've actually been very happy with how the scrums have gone at J5 level anyway. I'm sure there's plenty of illegal things being missed but there's been very few resets or free kicks and penalties given from them.
There's a degree of self-refereeing. Most players at that level don't want to collapse or get involved in messing, even the more experienced ones. You've got your 1.5m you can push so if you're being dominated you can accept it without having to try anything that will give away a penalty.

Even when I'm up against guys who clearly know plenty of tricks you just find that it's an easier day for everyone if you're not scratching and boring each other. There's contest enough in the hit/pushing, messing is reserved for the guys who start messing with you.