Some team you're not familiar with is looking for a game...

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

uncle fester
Beginner

Some team you're not familiar with is looking for a game...

Post by uncle fester »

...and they ask to play against your weakest team.

Tell them to **** off please.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Re: Some team you're not familiar with is looking for a game

Post by gleesonisgod »

This is on PR too. Explain.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Out of curiosity I checked PR to see what was said, what's your problem with Terenure? I realise a lot of people have problems with us but I'd like to know what your issue is.
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

gleesonisgod wrote:This is on PR too. Explain.
If a team looks for a friendly match and specifically ask for the weakest opposition available, experience tells that unless you know exactly what you're up against, it won't end well.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

uncle fester wrote:
If a team looks for a friendly match and specifically ask for the weakest opposition available, experience tells that unless you know exactly what you're up against, it won't end well.
Any chance you'd answer my question?
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
uncle fester wrote:
Any chance you'd answer my question?
No I won't because it's not relevant to the point at hand and it's only a distraction from the thread topic, which is teams ringing up, looking for a friendly with a low-level team and not being entirely honest about the makeup of their own team. For all the problems people had with Terenure in the J5 league last year, they've yet to pull that stunt for friendly games against scratch teams. Unlike a few other teams I could mention...
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Sorry, what the hell is this all about? As a complete outsider, I don't have a clue what's being discussed.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

It appears Terenure are intentionally putting out overstrength teams in meaningless friendlies. Poor form.

Boooooooo!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

meh, if there's a point to be made there are better ways of making it. They are also better ways of not making it.
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Logorrhea wrote:It appears Terenure are intentionally putting out overstrength teams in meaningless friendlies. Poor form.

Boooooooo!
Actually don't think it was Terenure, might have bee Seapoint.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I dont think anyone cares. This is pure Panto.

Booooooooo to all rugby team I say.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Sorry for any confusion caused. What happened was that after the first two posts I went to the planet rugby forum to check out what the story was. Uncle Fester had said on there that Seapoint were the team who had asked for a friendly against a weak team but actually they were far better than they had made out. There was also a fairly offensive remark about Terenure (in case you didn't guess I'm a Terenure man so others may not care and will probably even agree but you'll appreciate that it bugged me) so I sought clarification as to why he said it.

Uncle Fester, the last few posts probably indicate that you were right about it going off topic and for that I apologise! However, I'd still like clarification on why you said what you did so PM about if you can/are bothered. Sorry to keep pushing but it did bother me and I'd like to know if I could help address any issues other clubs have.
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

gleesonisgod wrote:
Logorrhea wrote:It appears Terenure are intentionally putting out overstrength teams in meaningless friendlies. Poor form.

Boooooooo!
Actually don't think it was Terenure, might have bee Seapoint.
Indeed it was.
Mismatches are a fact of life but when you deliberately misrepresent your position and specifically ask the opposition to put out a mixture of lame + infirm and lads who have never played rugby in their lives before so that you can have an opposed training session, you shouldn't be let get away with it.

For starters, the lads starting rugby get put off, quit and never come back.
Secondly, there is the safety aspect. Players with no fitness and players with no technique (sometimes both in the one player!) are at an enormous disadvantage to a an experienced, fit player and stand a much higher risk of injury.

The branch have been proactive enough in policing mis-matches in the junior leagues but if there were consequences for clubs causing such mismatches by lying, new players might stick around a bit longer.

We had an "old boy" team do the same to us last season and it left a very sour taste in the mouth because they had claimed none of their players played regular rugby so it was with some surprise our scratch team took to the field against regular J3 players.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Wasn't one of Seapoint's regualr three sides, so most likely a scratch side of their own.

The way things usually went back in my day they'll get ten players eager to play who aren't getting into the league sides and they'll scratch in a few at the last minute not knowing who they'll get. Sometimes they'll be decent players, more often than not they couldn't catch a cold. But it's very unlike Seapoint to stiff clubs like that.

I've played league and friendly games where I been on teams who've had 90 points put on them and put 90 point on others and the only difference was a one or two decent backs for one side..

If it's such a big deal why not contact the club instead of whinging on a forum, I'm sure they'll happily clarify -
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/seapointr ... tact-form/ or Tel: +353 1 285 4112
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

This may be a stupid question, but if you thought you had arranged a friendly against the Nicotine 15 and the All Blacks showed up, why didn't you just call off the game? If you were genuinely concerned about players' safety, surely that was the sensible thing to do?
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

tackle-bag wrote:This may be a stupid question, but if you thought you had arranged a friendly against the Nicotine 15 and the All Blacks showed up, why didn't you just call off the game? If you were genuinely concerned about players' safety, surely that was the sensible thing to do?
We did. Match was stopped at half time.

Sea_point
We've no interest in discussing this with your club as we were specifically promised a game at a certain level only to find that we were sold porkie pies. Seeing as your club were ejected from the J4 league before for similar antics, we simply won't be giving your club any more friendlies.
j4rugbyhead

Post by j4rugbyhead »

Seems like they have problems counting as well !!!!

From Leinsterrugby.ie,

"Saturday 09th April 2011 Winters Cup (Metro J4)
Parkmore v Seapoint Lakelands Park 13:00

1st Round - Game replayed after Seapoint used too many subs"
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

uncle fester wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:This may be a stupid question, but if you thought you had arranged a friendly against the Nicotine 15 and the All Blacks showed up, why didn't you just call off the game? If you were genuinely concerned about players' safety, surely that was the sensible thing to do?
We did. Match was stopped at half time.

Sea_point
We've no interest in discussing this with your club as we were specifically promised a game at a certain level only to find that we were sold porkie pies. Seeing as your club were ejected from the J4 league before for similar antics, we simply won't be giving your club any more friendlies.
Right so the gist of it is that your happy for your J5 to pump Tallaght for 50 points, but not so keen when the tables are turned and throw a hissy fit on the internet, big suggestion here...build a bridge...:lol:

Like Mary's have never pulled a fast one on Junior clubs...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
toffblue
Bookworm

Post by toffblue »

Sea_point wrote:If it's such a big deal why not contact the club instead of whinging on a forum, I'm sure they'll happily clarify -
As far as I can see he's giving a heads up to those of us involved in Domestic Rugby in Leinster. Fair Play I say because it is a big deal as others have outlined.....and a little of get back in your box Sea_point. I'm sure you wouldn't like it to happen to you.
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems." H J Simpson Esq
uncle fester
Beginner

Post by uncle fester »

toffblue wrote:
Sea_point wrote:If it's such a big deal why not contact the club instead of whinging on a forum, I'm sure they'll happily clarify -
As far as I can see he's giving a heads up to those of us involved in Domestic Rugby in Leinster. Fair Play I say because it is a big deal as others have outlined.....and a little of get back in your box Sea_point. I'm sure you wouldn't like it to happen to you.
Bingo. No harm in letting others know.

And Sea_point, there's a bit of a difference between the following:
-Club turns up short some players, has to borrow opposition players, is competitive for most of the game until the fitness gives out and they leak scores that put a misleading gap in the scoreline. Said club has an excellent relationship with us and I'm looking forward to pints with them after the last league game next weekend.
-Club turns up and they are down 50 points inside 20 minutes.