All Ireland League - Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Post by dropkick »

UCD will strengthen the league. As I said before, there were too many top flight clubs from Limerick for a city of its size. It ment the talent spread out too thinly.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Armchair wrote:Shannon 0 UCD 42

Shannon relegated to 1b and UCD promoted to 1a balance of power returning to Leinster with 5 clubs in 1a next season
Seismic result. Real shift in the balance of power. They won't be happy in Limerick, being relegated at home by stoooodents from Dublin 4.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

FrankBurke wrote:

Shannon relegated to 1b and UCD promoted to 1a balance of power returning to Leinster with 5 clubs in 1a next season
Seismic result. Real shift in the balance of power. They won't be happy in Limerick, being relegated at home by stoooodents from Dublin 4.
delighted for the boys, been a long time coming but finally back where we belong!! :wink:
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

tate wrote:
FrankBurke wrote:

delighted for the boys, been a long time coming but finally back where we belong!! :wink:
With the resources and squad UCD have there would have been heads rolling if they didn't get promoted! They have had serious talent at under 21 level for the last 4 years. Glad it's irked out for them and would have Trinity favourite to do the same next year
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

We always have a strong u21 squad, it's keeping them after that's been the problem for years. Anyway, glad it's happened!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

I fancy Clontarf & Cork Con to make the running this year and UCD to not be far off the top. What do people think? Will Lansdowne drop off alarmingly like previous winners Mary's and Belvo? Trinity and Shannon to battle for 1b maybe? Navan are a club i fancy to do well also and think they might make a start this year on working their way up the League. How will Naas and Barnhall get on this year and will Tullamore have an impact?
RuPi
Beginner

Post by RuPi »

Would be surprised if Trinity challenge in 1B they have lost a lot of key personnel, I would expect Malone to challenge, they have recruited well but a lot could depend on how much they see of McKinney from Ulster, Buccs are always dangerous but lack consistency.

In 1A I can't see the trophy leaving Dublin with Tarf Lansdowne the favourites with possibly UCD pushing them, on the hard grounds the students are lethal but come mid December and January on the softer surfaces they can become unstuck.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

RuPi wrote:Would be surprised if Trinity challenge in 1B they have lost a lot of key personnel, I would expect Malone to challenge, they have recruited well but a lot could depend on how much they see of McKinney from Ulster, Buccs are always dangerous but lack consistency.

In 1A I can't see the trophy leaving Dublin with Tarf Lansdowne the favourites with possibly UCD pushing them, on the hard grounds the students are lethal but come mid December and January on the softer surfaces they can become unstuck.
Forgot they will be without Marsh this year who else did they loose? Agree Malone will do well just don't hear alot about the Ulster teams down here
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Armchair wrote:I fancy Clontarf & Cork Con to make the running this year and UCD to not be far off the top. What do people think? Will Lansdowne drop off alarmingly like previous winners Mary's and Belvo? Trinity and Shannon to battle for 1b maybe? Navan are a club i fancy to do well also and think they might make a start this year on working their way up the League. How will Naas and Barnhall get on this year and will Tullamore have an impact?
Barnhall will be one of the favourites to be promoted probably alongside ourselves.
Tullamore will win quite a few games and surprise some teams but will finish mid table IMO
RuPi
Beginner

Post by RuPi »

Armchair wrote:
RuPi wrote:Would be surprised if Trinity challenge in 1B they have lost a lot of key personnel, I would expect Malone to challenge, they have recruited well but a lot could depend on how much they see of McKinney from Ulster, Buccs are always dangerous but lack consistency.

Forgot they will be without Marsh this year who else did they loose? Agree Malone will do well just don't hear alot about the Ulster teams down here
They have lost a few to other AIL clubs, Gallagher is back in Ulster and I remember hearing towards the end of last season a lot where approaching their last year in university. Here is a list of Leinster transfers

http://www.knockon.ie/2013/07/22/leinst ... transfers/

With regards Ulster - In 2A Banbridge showed last year it isn't a massive step up from 2B, whilst UCC have lost a lot of players seemingly, it will be very tight in that league I imagine, whilst Rainey went unbeaten last year they have strengthened well and should stay up, City of Derry have lost a few players and will probably be mid table at best whilst Queens have only lost their 2 Ireland U19 internationals they have brought in a lot of talented school leavers and a few exiles so they should go ok this season.

2B Inst really struggled last year and would be surprised if there was a miraculous change this year, Ards as always will struggle although they have brought in a lot of experienced players which could make a difference.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Leinster Senior League Cup - Section A: Blackrock College RFC 27, Old Wesley 27; Lansdowne 50, Old Belvedere 6;
Leinster Senior League Cup - Section B: Bective Rangers 24, Terenure College RFC 40; Clontarf 47, Dublin University 7;
Leinster Senior League Shield - Section A: De La Salle Palmerston 0, Naas 66; Skerries 31, Seapoint 21;
Leinster Senior League Shield - Section B: Boyne 17, Tullamore 34; NUIM Barnhall 32, Navan 6

Good to seeNure doing well Section A seems to be Lansdowne & UCD.Lansdowne put 50 points on Belvo after 50 something on Wesley the previous week, I would have thought Belvo would have been more competitive. Tullamore beating old Junior rivals Boyne & Barnhall & Naas looking good as well. Pre-season games I know but some interesting results!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

AIL back tomorrow. I see Marys have lost Rob Sweeney, Philip Brophy and Stephen Grissing to retirement. That's a lot of experience to lose
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Donny B. wrote:AIL back tomorrow. I see Marys have lost Rob Sweeney, Philip Brophy and Stephen Grissing to retirement. That's a lot of experience to lose
Their new 10 Marsh who was with Trinty will go well. Mary's are dark horses this year, I think they will go well.

Fancy Tarf to finally get over the line and win the league outright this year, will battle it out UCD & Lansdowne for top honours

Garryowen & Dolphin will be ok as well

Young Munster & Belvo are teams that could both be in trouble scrapping at the bottom of the table this year
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Armchair wrote:
Donny B. wrote:AIL back tomorrow. I see Marys have lost Rob Sweeney, Philip Brophy and Stephen Grissing to retirement. That's a lot of experience to lose
Their new 10 Marsh who was with Trinty will go well. Mary's are dark horses this year, I think they will go well.

Fancy Tarf to finally get over the line and win the league outright this year, will battle it out UCD & Lansdowne for top honours

Young Munster & Belvo are teams that could both be in trouble scrapping at the bottom of the table this year
It's really hard to guess how the league will go to be honest. The last two winners have struggled badly the following season. Lansdowne ran away with it last year but have lost some talent in Matt Healy and Craig Ronaldson to Connacht. They may also see far less of props Martin Moore and Jack O'Connell.

Are any of the Limerick clubs in a position to make a challenge again?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Donny B. wrote:
Armchair wrote:

It's really hard to guess how the league will go to be honest. The last two winners have struggled badly the following season. Lansdowne ran away with it last year but have lost some talent in Matt Healy and Craig Ronaldson to Connacht. They may also see far less of props Martin Moore and Jack O'Connell.

Are any of the Limerick clubs in a position to make a challenge again?
G'owen and Munster's wont win 1A this year and Munsters will struggle to avoid relegation. Not sure how from Munster will do best in 1A prob Dolphin but not sure.

Nenagh had good start in 2B today. Beat Midleton 34-17 today and should have won by more and would have but for conceding a couple of soft ish trys.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fair play to Peter "The Gibbon" Fizgibbon today:

Utterly useless and one eyed this afternoon he f%~ked Marys over big time.

Marys played all the rugby but the gibbon did his best for his fellow breed by sending off a Marys player for basically f%~k all.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

Donny B. wrote:Fair play to Peter "The Gibbon" Fizgibbon today:

Marys played all the rugby but the gibbon did his best for his fellow breed by sending off a Marys player for basically f%~k all.
Heard it was use of the knee,hardly nothing if true.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bgclaw wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Fair play to Peter "The Gibbon" Fizgibbon today:

Heard it was use of the knee,hardly nothing if true.
Wasn't even that. It was two yellows. Penalised him for not rolling away in the second half when he'd four guys lying on top of him after McMahon had put in a massive hit and turnover. At the next play a frustrated McMahon came over the top, a penalty but nothing dirty and the Gibbon gave him another yellow.

When 'The Gibbon' wants to do a team, he'll find a way and will ignore everything else. I find it difficult to hate the guy though cause his IQ is clearly so low, it's a wonder he actually finds the pitch each week.

Even with 14 men Marys still should have won with something to spare. Cathal Marsh mixed the good with the horrendous, a match-winning and match-losing display all in one.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

I see Lansdowne lost as well to UCD.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Donny B. wrote:I see Lansdowne lost as well to UCD.
Wasn't suprised by that result graet statement from UCD but Mary's and Tarfs defeats were big shocks!

4 of the away teams won yesterday in 1a u won't see that to often