All Ireland League - Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Post by Donny B. »

Sounds like a hell of a match alright.

As predicted Tarf hammered Blackrock 42-3 and got the BP. Pressure back on Marys for tomorrow.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Fine game today at the Aviva.

Marys were trailing at half time but came out firing in the second half to score three tries to take a 27-10 lead. Should really have gotten a BP but they let Lansdowne in for two late tries to make it 27-22 at the finish. That Aviva backpitch should not be a venue for AIL games though.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Donny B. wrote:I notice Munsters are playing Tarf the same day as the Munster-Leinster match at the end of March. Might be worth getting down early to catch it.
Just noticed this game is on the 24th not the 31st. :oops:
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Donny B. wrote:Fine game today at the Aviva.

Marys were trailing at half time but came out firing in the second half to score three tries to take a 27-10 lead. Should really have gotten a BP but they let Lansdowne in for two late tries to make it 27-22 at the finish. That Aviva backpitch should not be a venue for AIL games though.
After watching Tarf destroy blackrock (featuring Eric Miller) on friday night i went over to this game on saturday. Fully agree with the above, Mary's stepped up a gear in the 3rd quarter and wrapped up the game. The aviva backpitch is a farce and an insult to teams and supporters. How people can be charged 10 quid in to watch a game on a pitch where they can stand behind either try line or jostle along the stadium side hoarding is beyond me.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bamboozle wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Fine game today at the Aviva.

After watching Tarf destroy blackrock (featuring Eric Miller) on friday night i went over to this game on saturday. Fully agree with the above, Mary's stepped up a gear in the 3rd quarter and wrapped up the game. The aviva backpitch is a farce and an insult to teams and supporters. How people can be charged 10 quid in to watch a game on a pitch where they can stand behind either try line or jostle along the stadium side hoarding is beyond me.
Miller was playing? :shock:

Completely agree about the Aviva backpitch. I spent the first half hanging onto the side of the side padding on the pitch. Do Lansdowne have nowhere else they can play?
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

yeah, Miller is coach of Rock, he came on after about 20 mins and limped off after about 60, he's probably still only 34/35.

Lansdowne have their clubhouse up in Balinteer somewhere, AIL games should be there or on main pitch at Aviva. Last game of season is Lansdowne v Clontarf, potentially this could see Clontarf clinch the league, would be a disaster on the back pitch if a large Clontarf crowd turn up.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bamboozle wrote:yeah, Miller is coach of Rock, he came on after about 20 mins and limped off after about 60, he's probably still only 34/35.

Lansdowne have their clubhouse up in Balinteer somewhere, AIL games should be there or on main pitch at Aviva. Last game of season is Lansdowne v Clontarf, potentially this could see Clontarf clinch the league, would be a disaster on the back pitch if a large Clontarf crowd turn up.
Absolutely, but don't worry the big crowds will be watching Marys beat Munsters at Templeville to clinch the league! :D :wink:
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Donny B. wrote:
bamboozle wrote:yeah, Miller is coach of Rock, he came on after about 20 mins and limped off after about 60, he's probably still only 34/35.

Absolutely, but don't worry the big crowds will be watching Marys beat Munsters at Templeville to clinch the league! :D :wink:
Small matter of Marys visiting Castle Avenue between now and then....

to be honest i still cant believe YM's are still involved, they've scored 15 trys in 14 games and were the most negative backward team i'd seen in a long time when they visited us. Their tactics on the day seemed to center around players dropping injured like flys, taking the momentum out of the game and when they did bother playing it was a case of up the jumpers.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

bamboozle wrote:
Donny B. wrote:

Small matter of Marys visiting Castle Avenue between now and then....

to be honest i still cant believe YM's are still involved, they've scored 15 trys in 14 games and were the most negative backward team i'd seen in a long time when they visited us. Their tactics on the day seemed to center around players dropping injured like flys, taking the momentum out of the game and when they did bother playing it was a case of up the jumpers.
Ah yeah that will be a defining game on the 14th of April alright.

Wouldn't totally write off Munsters. They're not the most stylish team sure but a Limerick team that can dog out results can still be very effective.

Looking at the run-in's for the top three there could be plenty of ups and downs yet.

Clontarf:
Y Munster A
Garryown H
St. Marys H
Lansdowne A

St. Marys:
Blackrock H
Cork Con A
Clontarf A
Y Munster H

Y Munster:
Clontarf H
Lansdowne A
Dophin H
St. Marys A

Lansdowne won't win the league but they could still have a big say in who does.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Would back Mary's seeing as their game against Rock is virtually a nailed on 5pointer and they have the class to go down to cork and tarf and win
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Darce wrote:Would back Mary's seeing as their game against Rock is virtually a nailed on 5pointer and they have the class to go down to cork and tarf and win
Tarf v Mary's will decide the title i think, 2 things in Tarf's favour are home advantage and the bitter injury time defeat at Marys earlier this season.

was told the prematch lunch for 250 people has already been sold out, there'll be a large crowd.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

bamboozle wrote:
Darce wrote:Would back Mary's seeing as their game against Rock is virtually a nailed on 5pointer and they have the class to go down to cork and tarf and win
Tarf v Mary's will decide the title i think, 2 things in Tarf's favour are home advantage and the bitter injury time defeat at Marys earlier this season.

was told the prematch lunch for 250 people has already been sold out, there'll be a large crowd.
Gotta Hope the Tarf boys are not looking to far ahead and just get the job done tomorrow against Garryowen..This is obviousy the most important game as it's the next one and hopefully a decent crowd there tomorrow also and cannot believe I will actually be cheering for one Munster team this weekend...Cmon Con
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leoslovechild wrote:
Gotta Hope the Tarf boys are not looking to far ahead and just get the job done tomorrow against Garryowen..This is obviousy the most important game as it's the next one and hopefully a decent crowd there tomorrow also and cannot believe I will actually be cheering for one Munster team this weekend...Cmon Con
Likewise.....C'mon Garryowen!!
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Leoslovechild wrote:
bamboozle wrote:

just goes to show you can never depend on Cork for anything!

word went round castle avenue just before full time in our game that con were 21 -10 ahead. some comeback by marys

April 14th, Castle Avenue, Clontarf v St. Marys
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Is this the first ever year of a Leinster 1 / 2 in the AIL?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Is this the first ever year of a Leinster 1 / 2 in the AIL?
i think so, only Marys and Old Belvedere have won the AIL and OB beat Con in last years final. Cant remember if Marys win was by league of league final, Trevor Brennan was their captain.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Think Shannon or YM or something might have been 2nd when Mary's won previously.

Things are just as interesting at the bottom of the table. Rock with the slightly better run in compared with Shannon and Belvo..
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

bamboozle wrote:
StrangeButBlue wrote:Is this the first ever year of a Leinster 1 / 2 in the AIL?
i think so, only Marys and Old Belvedere have won the AIL and OB beat Con in last years final. Cant remember if Marys win was by league of league final, Trevor Brennan was their captain.
Marys beat Young Munsters in Lansdowne Rd. - Brent Pope sent off !
the general
Beginner

Post by the general »

Mary's lost to Young Munster when Brent Pope was sent off.

Mary's beat Lansdowne in the League final the year that they finally won it.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

the general wrote:Mary's lost to Young Munster when Brent Pope was sent off.

Mary's beat Lansdowne in the League final the year that they finally won it.
the YM Marys match was back in '93 i think, nearly filled lansdowne, Marys won league in 2000 - Pope coached them to that title.