All Ireland League - Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Leoslovechild
Mullet

Re: All Ireland League - Thread

Post by Leoslovechild »

Armchair wrote:RTE are showing Garryowen v Belvedere live from Limerick on Saturdy all games in 1a will now ko at 2.35pm

Match just got that bit more difficult for Belvo, Garryowen will put up a fight on National TV against their former coach!
One bit of good news at least
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Just back from UCD 45 Young Munster 24. If ever there was a game if backs v forwards this was it. All 3 Young Munster tries were scored from bashing over the line from a yard out. I was surprised at the poor physical conditioning of the YM players, they shipped a load of knocks.
UCD backline is the best I've seen in AIL this season, I saw them put fifty in Dolphin in March. The UCD left wing, Daly?, is a serious operator.
UCD scrum and breakdown is not brilliant. If John Ryan isn't playing they should have a v good chance v Cork Con in cup final.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

FrankBurke wrote:Just back from UCD 45 Young Munster 24. If ever there was a game if backs v forwards this was it. All 3 Young Munster tries were scored from bashing over the line from a yard out. I was surprised at the poor physical conditioning of the YM players, they shipped a load of knocks.
UCD backline is the best I've seen in AIL this season, I saw them put fifty in Dolphin in March. The UCD left wing, Daly?, is a serious operator.
UCD scrum and breakdown is not brilliant. If John Ryan isn't playing they should have a v good chance v Cork Con in cup final.
Munsters have lot of trouble behind scenes at the moment. They lost to us in Munster plate final and they were an embarrassment and lucky we didn't put 100+ points on the side they put out(which wasn't even their j2 side)
UCD like all college sides will be like that with seriously strong backlines open rugby all that.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Armchair wrote:
FrankBurke wrote:So which game should I go to this weekend? Tarf v Hinch or UCD V YM?
Won't be much excitement eitherway at UCD match which they should win comfartably. BUT if Clontarf win and Belvo loose and Hinch get to stay up, Castle Avenue is likely to explode on Saturday. Lots of if ands or buts. I would go to Tarf game but they will be fairly gloomy if it doesn't work out
Sounds like an entairtaining game at Belfield closer than I thought but you missed a serious atmosphere, excitement, nervousness and everything else from Castle Avenue, final day threw up a twist and all didn't go to script, bodies coming out of hedges around Castle Avenue and they are not on an Easter Egg hunt :D
Amz
Mullet

Post by Amz »

I think yesterday's game in Garryowen showed why Leo Auva'a is bloody overrated. He looks so lazy and ponderous and for a guy who people think should get Leinster contracts/pro-contracts elsewhere, his work rate is awful! Thought Belvo's backs were pretty solid, but their forwards didn't do them any real favours. Fair play to Garryowen, deserved their win and as predicted they were never going to roll over in that game.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The game of real quality was the Div 1B season finale between Terenure and Buccs. Terenure went ahead for the first time with their fifth try and eventually won 36-29, finishing the Season with a 100% record and remaining unbeaten in Lakelands since November 2011.

Great standard of rugby from two teams who should grace Division 1A next year. Ball kept in hand for long periods and great skill level across two teams.

Congrats to the 'Nure, who would be worthy contenders for Club of the year with their 20 winning the JP Fanagan and getting to the All Ireland Final and their first finishing with two promotions in a row and an unheard of 100% record in a Division they had just entered.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Ruckedtobits wrote:The game of real quality was the Div 1B season finale between Terenure and Buccs. Terenure went ahead for the first time with their fifth try and eventually won 36-29, finishing the Season with a 100% record and remaining unbeaten in Lakelands since November 2011.

Great standard of rugby from two teams who should grace Division 1A next year. Ball kept in hand for long periods and great skill level across two teams.

Congrats to the 'Nure, who would be worthy contenders for Club of the year with their 20 winning the JP Fanagan and getting to the All Ireland Final and their first finishing with two promotions in a row and an unheard of 100% record in a Division they had just entered.
Ulster Bank League awards its between Us(IMO anyway) and Terenure for club of the year as only 2 teams not to lose a game in the league.
Buccs should go up as they should defeat Ballynahinch.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

ormond lad wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote:The game of real quality was the Div 1B season finale between Terenure and Buccs. Terenure went ahead for the first time with their fifth try and eventually won 36-29, finishing the Season with a 100% record and remaining unbeaten in Lakelands since November 2011.

Ulster Bank League awards its between Us(IMO anyway) and Terenure for club of the year as only 2 teams not to lose a game in the league.
Buccs should go up as they should defeat Ballynahinch.
Hinch won't be easy especially up there, I actually fancy Hinch to stay up in what should be a good game
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Great day in Castle Avenue on Saturday to finally get the title...Those last 4 minutes waiting on the finish in Limerick was pretty nerve jangling to say the least.Actually saw some grown men cry!Hinch also played well and will be tough for Buccs to beat but as I said last week when I heard Garryowen Belvo would be televised that that was good for Tarf and so it proved.
Now for the Ba Bas tomorrow evening as champions......
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Leoslovechild wrote:Great day in Castle Avenue on Saturday to finally get the title...Those last 4 minutes waiting on the finish in Limerick was pretty nerve jangling to say the least.Actually saw some grown men cry!Hinch also played well and will be tough for Buccs to beat but as I said last week when I heard Garryowen Belvo would be televised that that was good for Tarf and so it proved.
Now for the Ba Bas tomorrow evening as champions......
Well done Tarf! As a neutral I am glad they won! As last season I was delighted for Lansdowne as they played the best rugby. Who will be the victors next season?
Young Munster will have to pick up some players in Limerick which will make them stronger.. Tarf will still be strong. UCD who were my favourites in pre-season will be stronger and more experienced as will the young Lansdowne team. With the playoffs returning it will be an exciting league but bet the last game in Tarf was exciting as anything could be. Well done again Tarf!
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

What a great evening down at Castle Avenue last night.Great entertainment and some excellent rugby played by both teams with Tarf just hanging on for the win in a 13 Try feast.Met a couplre of Ladies from the South side who had travelled to their first AIL ground in 10 years and were very pleasantly surprised by the standard of the Home team.And then afterwards the presentation on the pitch of the medals that were down in Limerick on Saturday just put the icing on the cake.Special mention to for Nigel Owens who stayed around on the pitch getting photos taken with the youngsters and signing autographs all no problem to him after the game ended.Super night.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

AIL awards winners have been announced
Player of the Year – Division 1A: Danny Riordan, Old Belvedere RFC
Top Try Scorer – Division 1A: Mick McGrath, Clontarf
Top Points Scorer – Division 1A: David Joyce, Clontarf
Rising Star of the Year Award – Division 1A: David Joyce, Clontarf
Coach of the Year – Division 1A: Paul Cunningham, Old Belvedere
Player of the Year – Division 1B: Robert Duke, Terenure College
Player of the Year – Division 2A: Jerome Harimate, Galwegians
Player of the Year – Division 2B: Derek Corcoran, Nenagh Ormond
Club PRO of the Year: Sam O’Byrne, Clontarf
https://community.ulsterbank.com/rug...tars-at-awards

Was sure there was a team of the year award as well.
Well done to Derek C and all other award winners
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Surprised Conan didnt get rising star, he was huge for Belvo when he played.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Should add that its a shame they couldn't give all the awards they gave to 1A to all the divisions.
I know it hasn't been case in past but Conan being contracted and awards highlight non contracted amateur players??
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

then why was he and boyle nominated?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Fixtures for next season out tomorrow
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Season starting this weekend.

RESULTS & FIXTURES: ULSTER BANK LEAGUE

September 2014
Fri 12th Sep 14 19:30 Div1A UCD v St. Mary's College Belfield
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Clontarf v Young Munster Castle Avenue
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Lansdowne v Dolphin Aviva Stadium Back Pitch
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Old Belvedere v Cork Constitution Anglesea Road
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Terenure College v Ballynahinch Lakelands

Shannon vs Garryowen in Div1b !

Edit: timing not ideal this weekend
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

No game in Cork in Divisions in AIL this weekend. Then next weekend Tarf & Lansdowne are playing in Cork. Madness.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

StrangeButBlue wrote:Season starting this weekend.

RESULTS & FIXTURES: ULSTER BANK LEAGUE

September 2014
Fri 12th Sep 14 19:30 Div1A UCD v St. Mary's College Belfield
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Clontarf v Young Munster Castle Avenue
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Lansdowne v Dolphin Aviva Stadium Back Pitch
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Old Belvedere v Cork Constitution Anglesea Road
Sat 13th Sep 14 14:30 Div1A Terenure College v Ballynahinch Lakelands

Shannon vs Garryowen in Div1b !

Edit: timing not ideal this weekend
All games in Dublin but all but one game clashing directly with the Leinster game. :-(