Leinster Juniors 2012

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Jackal
Bookworm

Leinster Juniors 2012

Post by Jackal »

With the first inter provincial match on the 28th of April, any word on the squad for this years junior inter pro's?
ormond lad
Graduate

Re: Leinster Juniors 2012

Post by ormond lad »

Nothing up on leinsterrugby but railway union have 2 players in the squad. Best check clubs websites/facebook pages as a squad prob wont be announced up on leinsterrugby until wednesday or thursday next week
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

Hope a few younger players are brought in this year. Nearly every year its the same names. Will be interesting to see how many Skerries lads are on the panel after them winning promotion to Ail
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Munster have played a few games against a west munster select, a waterford select and a munster colleges select.
Skerries will probably have a few playing but as they will have been playing the round robin for the past few weeks some of their players may not play in the opening game but will then be called up
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

It will be interesting. Last year some clubs had no players involved like Coolmine and Tullamore and Skerries only had the one. A lot of politics involved I suspect.
hands away
Bookworm

Post by hands away »

probables v possibles this weekend in edenderry, theyve had 40 up without the towns and skerries lads, so obviously a high interest in it. cut being made after that match sunday i think.
Let the bears pay the bear tax!
Toilet Brush

Post by Toilet Brush »

Regrettably any Skerries player asked to join the juniors was unavailable. Which is unfortunate.
Toilet Brush

Post by Toilet Brush »

Regrettably all the Skerries players who were contacted made themselves unavailable. Which is pity
Not Releasing
Bookworm

Post by Not Releasing »

Leinster Junior Squad 2012...

FORWARDS: John Rowe (Wexford Wanderers), Grant Wattleworth (Newbridge), Shane Reilly (Portlaoise), Richie Bond (Portlaoise) CAPTAIN, Rob Dempsey (Roscrea), Luke Goff (Enniscorthy), Ger Moore (Cill Dara), Johnny Lee (Coolmine), Brian Doyle (Clondalkin), Rory McCann (Newbridge), Damien Broughal (Cill Dara), Philip Ryan (Kilkenny), David Milne (Tullamore), Frank Murphy (Tullow), Tony Ryan (Enniscorthy), Owen Walsh (IT Carlow), Ronan Mangan (Newbridge), Derek Farrell (Longford), Mitchel Dalton (Enniscorthy), Ene Fa’atau (Dundalk)

BACKS: Richie Hughes (Tullamore), Gavin Kennedy (Ashbourne), Ivan Poole (Enniscorthy), Chris Jebb (Clondalkin), Donal Crotty (Coolmine), Ben Swindlehurst (Newbridge), Paddy Behan (Cill Dara), Damien McCabe (Enniscorthy), Martin O’Neill (Co Carlow), Ross Barbour (Enniscorthy), David Hogan (Newbridge), Padraig Mahon (Newbridge), Karl Daragh (Newbridge), Joe Taylor (Ashbourne), Ross Doyle (Portarlington), Ray Moloney (Roscrea)

Numbers Game

36 Players in the squad - will this be cut again, only 22 allowed in match day squad.
O Players from Skerries - understandable as winning league and round-robin leaves you mentally, physically and emotionally exhausted
2 Players from Tullamore - 1A runners up and All-Ireland Junior Champs
21 Players will play in 1A next season
7 Players will play in 1B
5 Players will play in 2A
O Players will play in 2B
1 Player will play in 3 - although John Rowe has played Leinster U/20 and AIL with Greystones so we'll forgive that selection.
1 Player doesn't play Leinster League - Owen Walsh IT Carlow - is he even eligible?
9 Front Row players selected - bit excessive no?
Toilet Brush

Post by Toilet Brush »

Hands Away,
I'm sure the Leinster Junior Management will be delighted that your going to 'Forgive' them for selecting a player from Division 3. Last time I checked IT Carlow were a Junior Club and were affiliated to the Leinster Branch so I should think any player who plays for them would be eligible? Statistically the most injury prone players on a rugby field are front rows so why not carry more rather than less? I'm sure you'll have have something to say on the issue?
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

Good to see lots of new names in the squad. Just a quick note on the team, I think Shane Reilly played senior rugby with Buccaneers after christmas. I was at a match and overheard a few lads say he was on dual status from Portlaoise. Is that legal or within selection criteria? Surely players having played senior rugby as recently as a few weeks ago shouldn't be eligible for a junior inter pro match. Maybe it happens regularly! Does anyone know if it is ok to play inter pro matchs like this under that circumstance

As I said though good overall to see lots of new names in the squad and will be interesting to see how they get on
gleesonisgod
Mullet

Post by gleesonisgod »

Jackal wrote:Good to see lots of new names in the squad. Just a quick note on the team, I think Shane Reilly played senior rugby with Buccaneers after christmas. I was at a match and overheard a few lads say he was on dual status from Portlaoise. Is that legal or within selection criteria? Surely players having played senior rugby as recently as a few weeks ago shouldn't be eligible for a junior inter pro match. Maybe it happens regularly! Does anyone know if it is ok to play inter pro matchs like this under that circumstance

As I said though good overall to see lots of new names in the squad and will be interesting to see how they get on
Jaysus, Reilly's come a long way from when I played 20's with him. Puking in a lineout from beer. It was pretty funny to be fair.
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Jackal wrote:Good to see lots of new names in the squad. Just a quick note on the team, I think Shane Reilly played senior rugby with Buccaneers after christmas. I was at a match and overheard a few lads say he was on dual status from Portlaoise. Is that legal or within selection criteria? Surely players having played senior rugby as recently as a few weeks ago shouldn't be eligible for a junior inter pro match. Maybe it happens regularly! Does anyone know if it is ok to play inter pro matchs like this under that circumstance

If you are eligible to play junior you can play junior interpros. The Munster outhalf Ben Martin from clonmel was dual status with ul bohs all season and is able to play and theres nothing in the laws to stop it. They are legally able to play and it happens every year
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

Leinster have lost two in a row. Anyone at either of the games? I heard the Munster game was a very good game but scrum let leinster down and a yellow toward the end of the Connacht game didn't help the cause. Anyone got more info on the games and how they went
Jackal
Bookworm

Post by Jackal »

ormond lad wrote:

If you are eligible to play junior you can play junior interpros. The Munster outhalf Ben Martin from clonmel was dual status with ul bohs all season and is able to play and theres nothing in the laws to stop it. They are legally able to play and it happens every year
Alrite thats fair enough. Wasn't aware of the rules regarding the whole thing! Seems a little but unfair though. Personally I would prefer if the juniors were just for the juniors and not for players on a dual status