Age Grade Interpros

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

ormond lad
Graduate

Re: Age Grade Interpros

Post by ormond lad »

goreyguy wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wasn't Luke Fitz famously just in the academy for one day before getting a pro deal?

Agree with Hugo about it opening a can of worms to offer him one straight off the bat but I'd have thought it was obvious that a regular academy place wouldn't cut it for this guy and I know of others clubs who were after him too so I would hope that Leinster realised that and weren't stubborn about the type of contract on offer.

It's fairly worrying that he's been targeted from such a young age, I wonder what kind of scouting processes they have in place? Who knows, maybe he'll end up coming back but I'd guess that if he's not overly fussed on rugby now then he never will be. There are guys like Jack Kelly and even Dardis who will be relieved at this news and hopefully they can take their opportunities now.
Don't think Leinster have so much talent in the back three that Nash would have blocked anyone. Leinster need all the talent they can get in those positions.

On the topic of Dardis, does he even have a contract for next season with Leinster?

The AFL have a whole scouting setup for 16-18 year old GAA players. Tadhg Kennelly is in charge of it. Hopefully it will be a Ciaran Kilkeny situation and he comes home pretty quickly but somehow I doubt it. Shame as Nash had the potential to be a real star player from the club game in the province ala Sean O'Brien.
Why is it worrying that he's been targeted considering his age? Rugby and all sports target people at that age....
I totally cant agree with any statement like "hopefully it will be a ... situation and he comes home pretty quickly" regardless of what you mean by it. I think that's in poor taste
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Worrying because I don't want to be losing players from Ireland to a sport that we don't even play here. It's another avenue by which we can lose players, why would I want that? The fact that they've obviously put things in place and have the money to do so/entice someone like Nash is a worry.

Not saying it's wrong, not saying it should be illegal, just don't want to lose players and there's enough competition as it is.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

ormond lad wrote:
goreyguy wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Wasn't Luke Fitz famously just in the academy for one day before getting a pro deal?

Agree with Hugo about it opening a can of worms to offer him one straight off the bat but I'd have thought it was obvious that a regular academy place wouldn't cut it for this guy and I know of others clubs who were after him too so I would hope that Leinster realised that and weren't stubborn about the type of contract on offer.

It's fairly worrying that he's been targeted from such a young age, I wonder what kind of scouting processes they have in place? Who knows, maybe he'll end up coming back but I'd guess that if he's not overly fussed on rugby now then he never will be. There are guys like Jack Kelly and even Dardis who will be relieved at this news and hopefully they can take their opportunities now.
Don't think Leinster have so much talent in the back three that Nash would have blocked anyone. Leinster need all the talent they can get in those positions.

On the topic of Dardis, does he even have a contract for next season with Leinster?

The AFL have a whole scouting setup for 16-18 year old GAA players. Tadhg Kennelly is in charge of it. Hopefully it will be a Ciaran Kilkeny situation and he comes home pretty quickly but somehow I doubt it. Shame as Nash had the potential to be a real star player from the club game in the province ala Sean O'Brien.
Why is it worrying that he's been targeted considering his age? Rugby and all sports target people at that age....
I totally cant agree with any statement like "hopefully it will be a ... situation and he comes home pretty quickly" regardless of what you mean by it. I think that's in poor taste
I don't care what taste you think it is in and i wasn't asking for your agreement nor do i want it.
I'd rather Nash played rugby for Leinster, so I hope the AFL doesn't work out for him and he returns to play professional rugby.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Worrying because I don't want to be losing players from Ireland to a sport that we don't even play here. It's another avenue by which we can lose players, why would I want that? The fact that they've obviously put things in place and have the money to do so/entice someone like Nash is a worry.

Not saying it's wrong, not saying it should be illegal, just don't want to lose players and there's enough competition as it is.
yeah it very disappointing that rugby finally had gotten an elite athlete from GAA and we can't keep him because the AFL outbid us.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

B%ll#x. He has been a dual player for about 8 years. We took him from nobody. Not everybody outside Dublin only plays one code.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:B%ll#x. He has been a dual player for about 8 years. We took him from nobody. Not everybody outside Dublin only plays one code.
He played minor GAA for meath and was highly rated, of course there was going to be a battle for his services. A battle we would hopefully had won, therefore he would be picking rugby over GAA, therefore we would be taking him away from GAA.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

goreyguy wrote:
ormond lad wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Don't think Leinster have so much talent in the back three that Nash would have blocked anyone. Leinster need all the talent they can get in those positions.

I don't care what taste you think it is in and i wasn't asking for your agreement nor do i want it.
I'd rather Nash played rugby for Leinster, so I hope the AFL doesn't work out for him and he returns to play professional rugby.
:roll:

So you cant see the ridiculousness of saying you hope a youngster travelling across the world to attempt to be a pro athlete fails in his attempt and comes home very quickly.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

ormond lad wrote:] :roll:

So you cant see the ridiculousness of saying you hope a youngster travelling across the world to attempt to be a pro athlete fails in his attempt and comes home very quickly.
I'd prefer if Nash plays rugby for Leinster and Ireland, if that means he fails at AFL and returns home then so be it. Again I don't care if you think it's ridiculous to think that way, i'm prefectly okay with it as it's irrelevant at every level.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

goreyguy wrote:

I think it's a really interesting topic of discussion.

Personally, were I in the position to make the call to offer Nash a development contract straight out of school [given the competition from the AFL] I'd probably do it. But I can see why a good few reasonable objections to doing so, and if you're the guy in the organisation who has to put his reputation on the line, certainly within the organisation, making the decision carries a load of risk.

Leinster are a pretty conservative organisation in a most ways they go about their business. In some cases that's a good thing, in some cases a bad thing. I tend to think that the conservatism hurts a little when it comes to academy intake. I would be of the opinion that we could offer three or four more slots [say at an extra expense of €30-40k] and have a few more punts.

Seven or eight years of evidence has shown that there's going to be a degree of wastage/natural selection in the academy. Not everyone is going to make it through to a senior contract, for any number of reasons. Some will make it through to a development contract and not get a second contract. That's just the way it goes, and it seems to go that way regardless of background, whether the players come through the clubs or the schools.

So in some ways I don't think it should be a big deal if you take a punt on bringing a guy into the academy and it doesn't pay off ... because sometimes you can take in a 'blue chip' prospect [for want of a better phrase] - five schools cup teams on the trot, representative teams all the way up etc. – and it doesn't pay off either. In some ways I've become pretty sanguine about who 'makes it' and who doesn't 'make it'. It's not always a reflection on the player's ability, or a reflection of the rugby knowledge or judgment of the people who selected said player for the academy. There are loads of factors that come into it.

I would totally have taken the punt we did on Stewart Maguire, for example. At that stage it seemed like his build was where tighthead was going – absolutely massive, left-tackle proportion players. It didn't pan out for him at Leinster and he never played a competitive game for us. On the other hand, Conor Gilsenan never played a competitive game for us either, and he was a total schoolboy legend – big rugby school alumnus, cup campaigns galore, Irish Schools, U19s and U20s ... a total blue chip prospect. As far as playing games for the Leinster team, the end result was exactly the same for both players.

The same thing for the Route 66 ploy ... it didn't produce anything, but I thought it was worth a shot.

Basically I've arrived at the point where I believe that it's worth taking a few more punts on bringing guys into the academy. If it doesn't work out for them at Leinster, then so what? It doesn't work out a substantial number of the hand-picked few at the moment in any case.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'm beginning to think the same thing for one particular reason. I can't remember the guy's name but you mentioned that big unit (was he a shot putter or something?) a while back who you'd take into the academy (or maybe it was sub academy) purely because of his size and see what could be done with him. The reason I'd like to see a slightly larger intake now is sort of the exact opposite of that but it's similar too, in that there might be guys who aren't aren't very big but have bucket loads of talent and it might be an idea to experiment with them.

James Tracy came in as a loosehead and now looks like being an excellent hooker, and I know I'm alone in this and there's no chance of it happening but I can't see Timmins making it as a back row but reckon he could be a sensational hooker. That kind of move didn't work out for Jordan Coghlan but like you said, how much did it cost us? Another guy I've mentioned before is Stephen O'Neill. He really is a brilliant player, clearly not big enough to be a pro centre but maybe he had the talent to be moved to scrum half after school? It may not have worked but we could have tried it for a couple of years and reassessed from there.

I don't think we can take that many punts, but maybe targeting certain positions where we're short in/the odd exceptional athlete could reap some rewards.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm beginning to think the same thing for one particular reason. I can't remember the guy's name but you mentioned that big unit (was he a shot putter or something?) a while back who you'd take into the academy (or maybe it was sub academy) purely because of his size and see what could be done with him. The reason I'd like to see a slightly larger intake now is sort of the exact opposite of that but it's similar too, in that there might be guys who aren't aren't very big but have bucket loads of talent and it might be an idea to experiment with them.

James Tracy came in as a loosehead and now looks like being an excellent hooker, and I know I'm alone in this and there's no chance of it happening but I can't see Timmins making it as a back row but reckon he could be a sensational hooker. That kind of move didn't work out for Jordan Coghlan but like you said, how much did it cost us? Another guy I've mentioned before is Stephen O'Neill. He really is a brilliant player, clearly not big enough to be a pro centre but maybe he had the talent to be moved to scrum half after school? It may not have worked but we could have tried it for a couple of years and reassessed from there.

I don't think we can take that many punts, but maybe targeting certain positions where we're short in/the odd exceptional athlete could reap some rewards.
+1, +1
I'm totally with you on Timmons move. He is an eceptional forward, smart as a whip, good captain but will probably not make international on a consistent basis, not least the presence of guys like PO'M and Hendo. Move him to hooker now with the objective of starting '17-18 as one of our three hookers and in time to take over from Nugget and Richardt.

Imagine the potential of McGrath, Timmons and Furlong - almost match them against the Boks.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I'm beginning to think the same thing for one particular reason. I can't remember the guy's name but you mentioned that big unit (was he a shot putter or something?) a while back who you'd take into the academy (or maybe it was sub academy) purely because of his size and see what could be done with him. The reason I'd like to see a slightly larger intake now is sort of the exact opposite of that but it's similar too, in that there might be guys who aren't aren't very big but have bucket loads of talent and it might be an idea to experiment with them.

+1, +1
I'm totally with you on Timmons move. He is an eceptional forward, smart as a whip, good captain but will probably not make international on a consistent basis, not least the presence of guys like PO'M and Hendo. Move him to hooker now with the objective of starting '17-18 as one of our three hookers and in time to take over from Nugget and Richardt.

Imagine the potential of McGrath, Timmons and Furlong - almost match them against the Boks.
it won't happen though.. arguably Jordi should have been moved there aswell. Timmins is likely destined to follow his route as a undersized backrow squad player.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Incomplete Leinster u18 side that defeated Canada u18 over easter.

1. Niall McEniff(St. Marys)
2. Ben Howlett(Newbridge)
3. Sam Kenny(Wesley)
4. Ronan Watters(St. Marys)
5. Ryan Baird(St. Michaels)(cpt.)
6. Donnacha Mescal(Blackrock)
7. Rueben Pim(Kilkenny)
8. David Jeffares(Clongowes)
9. Elliott Ryan(Pres Bray)
10. Dominic Henry-Hayes(Terenure)
11. Eoin Barr(Gonzaga)
12. Ben O'Shea(Clongowes)
13. David Ryan(St. Michaels)
14. Jeff O'Loughlin(St. Michaels)
15. Conor Kelly(Roscrea)
Bench
Harry O'Neill(Terenure)
Ronan Hannon(Clongowes)
Jonny Bell(Belvedere)
Ruadhan Byron(Belvedere)
Adam Corcoran(Castleknock)
Adam Fleming(CUS)
Conrad Daly(Clongowes)
Adam La Grue(Terenure)
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

goreyguy wrote:Incomplete Leinster u18 side that defeated Canada u18 over easter.

3. Sam Kenny(Wesley)
7. Rueben Pim(Kilkenny)
11. Eoin Barr(Gonzaga)
15. Conor Kelly(Roscrea)
Bench
Harry O'Neill(Terenure)
Ronan Hannon(Clongowes)
Jonny Bell(Belvedere)
Ruadhan Byron(Belvedere)
Adam Fleming(CUS)
Conrad Daly(Clongowes)
Adam La Grue(Terenure)
Funny, I didn't see or hear anything about this game anywhere. Nothing on the Leinster website.
No Blackock SCT players or even fringe players involved (Mescal must be a new student, haven't heard of him).
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

El Diablo wrote:
goreyguy wrote:Incomplete Leinster u18 side that defeated Canada u18 over easter.

3. Sam Kenny(Wesley)
7. Rueben Pim(Kilkenny)
11. Eoin Barr(Gonzaga)
15. Conor Kelly(Roscrea)
Bench
Harry O'Neill(Terenure)
Ronan Hannon(Clongowes)
Jonny Bell(Belvedere)
Ruadhan Byron(Belvedere)
Adam Fleming(CUS)
Conrad Daly(Clongowes)
Adam La Grue(Terenure)
Funny, I didn't see or hear anything about this game anywhere. Nothing on the Leinster website.
No Blackock SCT players or even fringe players involved (Mescal must be a new student, haven't heard of him).
Leinster website are terrible for coverage of games that aren't the interpros.
Mescal is a club player who played u18 clubs last september who I heard was joining Blackrock.
That's an incomplete bench so there could have been some rock lads there, upto three players eligible for the team were with Ireland u18 - Liam Turner, Charlie Ryan & Stephen McLaughlin. Turner for sure is eligible for the team, i've heard the other two are aswell.

Pictures here: http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1604012/5000/ & http://www.insportphotography.com/p1011087801#h76bb993c

Video highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_RyBs4Vro
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

goreyguy wrote:
El Diablo wrote:

3. Sam Kenny(Wesley)
7. Rueben Pim(Kilkenny)
11. Eoin Barr(Gonzaga)
15. Conor Kelly(Roscrea)
Bench
Harry O'Neill(Terenure)
Ronan Hannon(Clongowes)
Jonny Bell(Belvedere)
Ruadhan Byron(Belvedere)
Adam Fleming(CUS)
Conrad Daly(Clongowes)
Adam La Grue(Terenure)
Funny, I din't see or hear anything about this game anywhere. Nothing on the Leinster website.
Leinster website are terrible for coverage of games that aren't the interpros.
Mescal is a club player who played u18 clubs last september who I heard was joining Blackrock.
That's an incomplete bench so there could have been some rock lads there, upto three players eligible for the team were with Ireland u18 - Liam Turner, Charlie Ryan & Stephen McLaughlin. Turner for sure is eligible for the team, i've heard the other two are aswell.

Pictures here: http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1604012/5000/ & http://www.insportphotography.com/p1011087801#h76bb993c

Video highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_RyBs4Vro
Turner's only in TY isn't he? I also saw him on crutches after a previous Irish appearance. The kid has it for sure, his size may be an issue as he moves up the age grades.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Turner's only in TY isn't he? I also saw him on crutches after a previous Irish appearance. The kid has it for sure, his size may be an issue as he moves up the age grades.
Yeah he is in TY and is pretty small like Larmour. Could be a problem at higher levels, you'd hope he'd get a growth spurt before he finishes school
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

The Nucifora clause is clearly at work with hardly any/no club players involved. Watch youth numbers drop off in coming years.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

goreyguy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Yeah he is in TY and is pretty small like Larmour. Could be a problem at higher levels, you'd hope he'd get a growth spurt before he finishes school
Think he might have had that already and he's already taller than his parents. Larmour's obviously topped out too and although he's probably the best outside back I've seen in school rugby since Luke you just wonder whether a frame that small can take the demands of the modern game. Obviously hope I'm wrong, particularly as both are really nice lads.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

the spoofer wrote:The Nucifora clause is clearly at work with hardly any/no club players involved. Watch youth numbers drop off in coming years.
in what team? Ireland u18?