Munster Schools Cup

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

JoseFantastique
Mullet

Munster Schools Cup

Post by JoseFantastique »

Looking to a good one, can the Cork schools' reassert their traditional dominance? Can Munchin's survive without Cronin and Earls? Can Cresent catch up with Munchins? Can Castletroy become an instant force in the Senior Cup? Will a 3rd Cork team ever challenge for the title? Can anyone challenge Ardscoil for the title of best school in Ireland?
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
General Collins
Graduate

Re: Munster Schools Cup

Post by General Collins »

JoseFantastique wrote: Looking to a good one, can the Cork schools' reassert their traditional dominance? Apart from Munchins, no one else is doing anything to upset this balance. Since 1991 the Cup has only left Cork 5 times.

Can Munchin's survive without Cronin and Earls? I seriously doubt it

Can Cresent catch up with Munchins? Again unlikely, since the 'Chins went to Six years, the girls from the Comp have struggled

Can Castletroy become an instant force in the Senior Cup? Who?????

Will a 3rd Cork team ever challenge for the title? Absolutely not

Can anyone challenge Ardscoil for the title of best school in Ireland? Ha ha ha ha, oh my side is sore from laughing. My cousin would love you, he went to the High School Rice as well. Class of '94
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

JoseFantastique wrote:Looking to a good one, can the Cork schools' reassert their traditional dominance? Can Munchin's survive without Cronin and Earls? Can Cresent catch up with Munchins? Can Castletroy become an instant force in the Senior Cup? Will a 3rd Cork team ever challenge for the title? Can anyone challenge Ardscoil for the title of best school in Ireland?
Going to be a good one alright. Not too sure about Cork shcools myself, but I would have thought Munchin's will survive without Cronin but Earls that's a different matter. Wouldn't have thought Crecent will get much joy myself and as for Castletroy becoming an instant force that's a tall order in anyone's book. It will be difficult for any third school in Cork but as for Ardscoil being the best school in Ireland :roll: or even the title of the best school in Ireland :roll: :roll:
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Nice try Collins, but Cork's days as a school rugby stronghold are over.

Mort, you'd be surprised by how fast Castletroy will catch up, they're only a new school (4 or 5 years old) but they've a huge catchment area.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

JoseFantastique wrote:Nice try Collins, but Cork's days as a school rugby stronghold are over.

Mort, you'd be surprised by how fast Castletroy will catch up, they're only a new school (4 or 5 years old) but they've a huge catchment area.
but will a huge catchment area overtake tradition? When put in the corner the others will come out fighting (not literally of course), they have to. Tradition can be a big hurdle to overcome.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Uncle Mort wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:Looking to a good one, can the Cork schools' reassert their traditional dominance? Can Munchin's survive without Cronin and Earls? Can Cresent catch up with Munchins? Can Castletroy become an instant force in the Senior Cup? Will a 3rd Cork team ever challenge for the title? Can anyone challenge Ardscoil for the title of best school in Ireland?
Going to be a good one alright. Not too sure about Cork shcools myself, but I would have thought Munchin's will survive without Cronin but Earls that's a different matter. Wouldn't have thought Crecent will get much joy myself and as for Castletroy becoming an instant force that's a tall order in anyone's book. It will be difficult for any third school in Cork but as for Ardscoil being the best school in Ireland :roll: or even the title of the best school in Ireland :roll: :roll:
Who has taken over the mind of Uncle Mort???? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
General Collins
Graduate

JoseFantastique wrote:Nice try Collins, but Cork's days as a school rugby stronghold are over.

What exactly are you basing this upon? Pres have reached the last five finals in-a-row, but only managing to win one. They've been the form team in the competition (along with Munchin's) over the last five years. So how exactly are Cork's days numbered or are you just basing your comments on your general dislike for the county?

What exactly has a huge catchment area got to do with anything? The school can only hold so many, or will Castletroy suddenly become an open club where by anybody can line out for them?????
JoseFantastique
Mullet

I see I've hit a nerve, the reason I think the balance has shifted is due to Limerick schools stepping up in terms of coaching etc. Pres lost this years final becuase they lacked any on field invention, they played an incredibly limited game, evidenced by 10 minutes of pick and drive on the Munchins line without Munchins ever getting phased. Not once did they even feint to pass the ball wide, let alone actually pass it wide. Afaik, this has been a recurrent trait in Pres teams over the last few years.

On Castletroy, it's a rugby stronghold waiting to be born, loads of players in the area, especially considering how close it is to Boh's.
General Collins
Graduate

JoseFantastique wrote:I see I've hit a nerve, the reason I think the balance has shifted is due to Limerick schools stepping up in terms of coaching etc. Pres lost this years final becuase they lacked any on field invention, they played an incredibly limited game, evidenced by 10 minutes of pick and drive on the Munchins line without Munchins ever getting phased. Not once did they even feint to pass the ball wide, let alone actually pass it wide. Afaik, this has been a recurrent trait in Pres teams over the last few years.

On Castletroy, it's a rugby stronghold waiting to be born, loads of players in the area, especially considering how close it is to Boh's.
You're spot on in this regard. For the last two years Pres have failed to introduce any form of expansive back play. They've been completely forward dominated. This i think is more down to the coaching than any apparent lack of skills among the young lads. We commented on it after Pres beat CBC last year, against Munchins this year the situation seem to worsen.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

General Collins wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:I see I've hit a nerve, the reason I think the balance has shifted is due to Limerick schools stepping up in terms of coaching etc. Pres lost this years final becuase they lacked any on field invention, they played an incredibly limited game, evidenced by 10 minutes of pick and drive on the Munchins line without Munchins ever getting phased. Not once did they even feint to pass the ball wide, let alone actually pass it wide. Afaik, this has been a recurrent trait in Pres teams over the last few years.

You're spot on in this regard. For the last two years Pres have failed to introduce any form of expansive back play. They've been completely forward dominated. This i think is more down to the coaching than any apparent lack of skills among the young lads. We commented on it after Pres beat CBC last year, against Munchins this year the situation seem to worsen.
Seems they start them young in Munster for the Munster way.
General Collins
Graduate

I knew as i was writting that, some smart ar*e would come in with a Munster jibe.
Yes Uncle, rolling mauls are introduced to training for most clubs at the U-8 level as is the pick and drive, 12 man line-out and many more.....

As a winger/full-back i didn't touch the ball in general play until i was 21. At that stage i was so confused i just set up another maul...
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

General Collins wrote:I knew as i was writting that, some smart ar*e would come in with a Munster jibe.
Yes Uncle, rolling mauls are introduced to training for most clubs at the U-8 level as is the pick and drive, 12 man line-out and many more.....

As a winger/full-back i didn't touch the ball in general play until i was 21. At that stage i was so confused i just set up another maul...
What is this ball thing you speak of?
General Collins
Graduate

It's what the forwards use to keep themselves warm by shoving up their jumpers :wink:
JoseFantastique
Mullet

General Collins wrote:

Hence my comment on Limerick schools having seemingly better coaching. Pres had the winning of this years final, I'm sure they the players to do it, but not the coaches. It's funny that Cork teams have invested heavily in the forward game, when Cork was traditionally the backs factory of the Munster team.

Munchins showed huge composure in withstanding pres, and Munchins defending was the most professional I've seen in schools. They'll be very hard to beat, though the guys who know all about Limerick schools are predicting a Cresent win, not sure on what grounds.
General Collins
Graduate

JoseFantastique wrote:
General Collins wrote:

Hence my comment on Limerick schools having seemingly better coaching. Pres had the winning of this years final, I'm sure they the players to do it, but not the coaches. It's funny that Cork teams have invested heavily in the forward game, when Cork was traditionally the backs factory of the Munster team.

Munchins showed huge composure in withstanding pres, and Munchins defending was the most professional I've seen in schools. They'll be very hard to beat, though the guys who know all about Limerick schools are predicting a Cresent win, not sure on what grounds.
They're the same every year. Those girls are always banging on about what a great squad they have. Soon as the cup rolls around Munchins usually dump them out on their ear.
JoseFantastique
Mullet

I doubt it, the guys I heard it off were raving about Munchins this time last year.
Malahide Mullet
Mullet

Post by Malahide Mullet »

It's all so black and white
Now that rugby's oldest bridesmaid has finally got hitched, she can cast a haughty glance towards Leinster, her high-living sister from Dublin, who, despite her immense beauty and vast potential, has trouble getting lucky.
General Collins
Graduate

Ah Mullet, i see you're predicting a PBC Cork victory as well.
Good man
Cossax
Enlightened

Post by Cossax »

JoseFantastique wrote:Can anyone challenge Ardscoil for the title of best school in Ireland?
No. :twisted:

We'll give it a good bash at in the Junior Cup but we've been poor at Senior Cup level since Cronin, Doyle and a few others who were in my year left.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

JoseFantastique wrote: It's funny that Cork teams have invested heavily in the forward game, when Cork was traditionally the backs factory of the Munster team.
Backs "factory"? The home of Stringer and O'Gara?

Ye'd want to get yourselves a new factory, I think...