Leinster Schools Cup 2007

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Also, Fred Cogley is a hero. FACT
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Frustrated Fullback
Beginner

Post by Frustrated Fullback »

Any prospect of a shock?
Down with 10 man rugby!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Boo!
Last edited by Slipper1 on January 29th, 2007, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Slipper1 wrote:But Flash - Cog Fredly said that it was a very entertaining first half, so it must be true
I stand corrected. Fair play to Cog though, he appears to know which teams are playiing! :wink:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I've no interest in conducting another argument with you flash - You are watching some of the best young rugby players in the province, coached by some of the best Irish coaches and in incredible physical shape. If you can't appreciate good rugby at any level then that's sad. I'm sure you'll chanting the names of one or two of these guys in 5-6 years time when they become Leinster players, but we won't mention this thread then.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Frustrated Fullback wrote:Any prospect of a shock?
Andrews competing well but Belvo look bigger and fitter.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

I really got to get Setanta :cry:

When are Kilkenny playing Roscrea?
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:I've no interest in conducting another argument with you flash - You are watching some of the best young rugby players in the province, coached by some of the best Irish coaches and in incredible physical shape. If you can't appreciate good rugby at any level then that's sad. I'm sure you'll chanting the names of one or two of these guys in 5-6 years time when they become Leinster players, but we won't mention this thread then.
You know Duff, some people call them "discussions" and that's kinda what these fora are for....

I know the coach of one of the teams I'm currently watching. He's not one of the best. Well meaning and hard working yes. Best, absolutely not. Speaking of which - when was the last time Leinster had a coach that came through the schools system?

And yes, Leinster players will likely come through. Not exactly a risky prediction given that there's absolutely fock all other place they can come from.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:when was the last time Leinster had a coach that came through the schools system?
Our last coach.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:when was the last time Leinster had a coach that came through the schools system?
Our last coach.
Declan Kidney? He came through the Leinster schools system? :shock:
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Our last coach.
bobby byrne under judas himself. Was let go along cos cheika didnt know about him, only what 2 years ago?
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

tate wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Our last coach.
bobby byrne under judas himself. Was let go along cos cheika didnt know about him, only what 2 years ago?
Lasted a few months and we were fockin shoite. Seriously, the record isn't great of recent times is it? Which is interesting because while the schools system does deliver players, the record on coaches isn't fantastic is it?

04 / 05 Reggie Corrigan - Declan Kidney, Bobby Byrne - Paul McNaughton
03 / 04 Reggie Corrigan - Gary Ella (Aus), Willie Anderson - Ken Ging
02 / 03 Reggie Corrigan - Matt Williams (Aus), Willie Anderson - Ken Ging
01 / 02 Reggie Corrigan - Matt Williams (Aus), Alan Gaffney (Aus) - Ken Ging
00 / 01 Liam Toland - Matt Williams (Aus), Alan Gaffney (Aus) - Ken Ging
99 / 00 Liam Toland - Mike Ruddock (Wal), Matt Williams (Aus) - Ken Ging
98 / 99 Gabriel Fulcher - Mike Ruddock (Wal) - Jim Glennon
97 / 98 Kurt McQuilkin - Mike Ruddock (Wal) - Jim Glennon
96 / 97 Chris Pim - Ciaran Callan - Jim Glennon
95 / 96 Chris Pim - Ciaran Callan - Jim Glennon
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

coaching comes more with experience. Bobby is one of, if not the most successful, ireland schools coaches, and is very highly thought of within coaching circles.

Is an extension of your logic if the team, or a player were shoite for a year, we shouldnt give them more than one year either? No WUMming, just curious.

Its a valid point that coaches rarely go further than school boys. Possibly due the fact that most are teachers within the school and cant take the risk of quitting on the off chance they do make it. Also, rugby has only been professional for a few years now so its really to early to say what trends are
Last edited by tate on January 29th, 2007, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Belvo had two men on their team with full beards. Do they put something in the water on DNS??
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

tate wrote:coaching comes more with experience. Bobby is one of, if not the most successful, ireland schools coaches, and is very highly thought of within coaching circles.

Is an extension of your logic if the team, or a player were shoite for a year, we shouldnt give them more than one year either? No WUMming, just curious.

Its a valid point that coaches rarely go further than school boys. Possibly due the fact that most are teachers within the school and cant take the risk of quitting on the off chance they do make it. Also, rugby has only been professional for a few years now so its really to early to say what trends are
You making a counter point isn't WUMing...... :wink:

Look, I kind of understand guys like Mort coming over here and being somewhat bemused by the schools system because if you had to design a system, this wouldn't be it and pre-the establishment of the provincial system it really wasn't very successful at producing an high level of quality players (or coaches).

However, its what we have and I in no way suggest disbanding it/trashing it. However, I do think that it needs to be reformed to make it more competitive, broadening the schools (or club at junior level) base and ensure that more players get more and more top level competitive rugby because going forward the schools are going to feed straight into the Leinster academy (Which for better or worse is likely to skip the traditional club to province feeder system) - so it needs to be right.

But to be clear, the schools system is the best we have and we need to make the best of it.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Schools rugby/St Mary's College 25 CUS 14: This is shaping up as a year for great escapes. Blackrock got a reprieve on Sunday before St Mary's conjured up two late tries yesterday to foil one of the most honest displays ever witnessed by a minnow in the Leinster Schools' Cup.

A crowded Stradbrook was reminiscent of the season Eddie O'Sullivan guided Blackrock RFC to second place in the AIL as CUS threatened to make a dramatic statement at the competition's opening hurdle.

Alas, a malfunctioning lineout and an empty petrol tank in the closing stages proved the Leeson Street school's undoing. Also, the St Mary's pack, who will undoubtedly improve under the leadership of Shane Timmons, eventually realised the path to victory lay in grinding their valiant opponents into submission.

Near the finale, a CUS student humorously began quoting the William Wallace "freedom" speech from Braveheart on his megaphone.

They had no answer to the pick- and-drive tactics of the final quarter that yielded a try for scrumhalf Paul Early and another for hooker Peter Barrett, who was shunted over the line by Timmons after a 40-yard break by number eight David Wilson.

CUS are a young team and can make a more definitive statement next season if they retain their focus and coaching structures. What is important now is they regroup to win the Vinnie Murray Cup - a task well within their range.

The game initially stayed true to the predicted script as St Mary's outhalf Gareth Redmond landed a penalty, cancelled out by CUS fullback Shane McGrath, before adding a neat drop goal after fullback Ray Crotty made inroads into the opposing 22.

But there were no tries on offer due to the CUS scramble defence. A bone-jarring hit by lock Stephen Cowley on centre Stephen Walsh laid down a statement of intent.

The underdogs also had the common sense to tap and go from everywhere with livewire outhalf Eoin Stanley the most direct runner.

St Mary's dominated possession and territory, but when flanker Mark Kilduff spoiled Early's attempts to clear from a scrum the ball spilled into Stanley's path. A clever grubber allowed him follow up for the try. Heads up rugby at its finest.

St Mary's were in a calamitous state as the mongrel in the CUS pack threatened to consume them. Cowley blocked an attempted clearance soon after, but they had to be content with a McGrath penalty, slotted rugby league style, to leave it 11-6 at the break.

This lead was overturned four minutes into the second half when Conor McGlade, the hero of last year's quarter-final victory over Castleknock, profited from another overthrown CUS lineout just yards from the try-line. Flanker Richard Bent snaffled up possession before a quick recycle allowed Redmond to send McGlade over.

Redmond's conversion made it 13-11, but the scavenger's solitary raid into enemy territory presented McGrath with a difficult penalty. He nailed it. 13-14. It was now a case of CUS resisting a predictably ferocious St Mary's onslaught.

The effort was admirable, but the bodies eventually gave way to a relentless maul and superior scrum.

The contest was still alive after the Early try, with eight minutes remaining, but the CUS restart went dead. St Mary's ground out another penalty opportunity. Redmond was wide, but six minutes had passed. Then came the Barrett try.

St Mary's prevailed due to their intensity and, perhaps, wealth of tradition. These attributes will not be sufficient against Clongowes.
I'm not the only one who thinks we could casue a few upsets next year. I hope the coches stay on though!
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Flash Gordon wrote:
tate wrote:coaching comes more with experience. Bobby is one of, if not the most successful, ireland schools coaches, and is very highly thought of within coaching circles.

You making a counter point isn't WUMing...... :wink:

Look, I kind of understand guys like Mort coming over here and being somewhat bemused by the schools system because if you had to design a system, this wouldn't be it and pre-the establishment of the provincial system it really wasn't very successful at producing an high level of quality players (or coaches).

However, its what we have and I in no way suggest disbanding it/trashing it. However, I do think that it needs to be reformed to make it more competitive, broadening the schools (or club at junior level) base and ensure that more players get more and more top level competitive rugby because going forward the schools are going to feed straight into the Leinster academy (Which for better or worse is likely to skip the traditional club to province feeder system) - so it needs to be right.

But to be clear, the schools system is the best we have and we need to make the best of it.
I do think the idea of a HCup format tournament with u18 club sides inclueded could be a runner. That way the team get a few days out in the sun, and the pressure of playing in a cup game. All the current pros who played schools say what a great character building thing the knock-out aspect was. A revised cup, in the HCup mould, could provide everything would-be pros need.

Sure who cares about the leaving anyway, there's always the institute :wink:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Powerade Senior Cup First Round Results

C.U.S. 14 v 24 St. Mary's College

CBC Monkstown 10 v 3 Templeogue College

Castleknock College 13 v 25 Terenure College

Belverdere College 18 v 13 St. Andrew's College

Kilkenny College 11 v 7 Cistercian College Roscrea

Blackrock College 6 v 3 Gonzaga College

St. Michael's College 34 v 8 St. Gerard's College (today)

Clongowes Wood College 27 v 3 The High School
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Yes we got hammered again by another professional school outfit.
Clongowes.

Was that Kearney playing for The Wood any relation of 'Super Rob' ??
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Fred Funk wrote:Yes we got hammered again by another professional school outfit.
Clongowes.

Was that Kearney playing for The Wood any relation of 'Super Rob' ??
Thats his younger brother