College Rugby Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Sundy
Enlightened

College Rugby Thread

Post by Sundy »

I think theres a couple on here who play for there college, so this can be the thread to talk about it in. I play for DIT and i know Darce plays for DCU. Anybody else on here play for a college?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

UCD J2s all the way baby 8)
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

UCD as well
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Went to DCU and played a few games but left on account of being a complete shambles...heard they got their gear in order in the last few years. Always reliable for International tickets.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
cud
Mullet

Re: College Rugby Thread

Post by cud »

Sundy wrote:I think theres a couple on here who play for there college, so this can be the thread to talk about it in. I play for DIT and i know Darce plays for DCU. Anybody else on here play for a college?
L'Universite de Rouen, pour tout l'annee.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Before many of you were born I turned out (with varying degrees of success) for Huddersfield Polytechnic RUFC.

Hardest college matches were against Leeds Carnegie - an offshoot of Leeds Polytechnic where they studied sports so they were always super fit.

Easiest College matches were against Ilkley College of FE where once due to a car breaking down on the way to the match we started with 11, got two injuries early on and still beat them with 9 against 15.

Strangest referee was a retired vicar who actually said "Thou shall not swear". But to be slightly fair to him - they still tend to say thou, thee and thy in Yorkshire.

Biggest match played in was the national Polytechnic final - lost to Brighton Poly.

Best away trip - without doubt was the late coach back after playing at York University - who had very pretentious supporters who used to stand on the line and shout "Play up Yorkie!!". York's a great city for a late night. Pity it has no HEC rugby team.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Uncle Mort wrote:Before many of you were born I turned out (with varying degrees of success) for Huddersfield Polytechnic RUFC.

Hardest college matches were against Leeds Carnegie - an offshoot of Leeds Polytechnic where they studied sports so they were always super fit.

Easiest College matches were against Ilkley College of FE where once due to a car breaking down on the way to the match we started with 11, got two injuries early on and still beat them with 9 against 15.

Strangest referee was a retired vicar who actually said "Thou shall not swear". But to be slightly fair to him - they still tend to say thou, thee and thy in Yorkshire.

Biggest match played in was the national Polytechnic final - lost to Brighton Poly.

Best away trip - without doubt was the late coach back after playing at York University - who had very pretentious supporters who used to stand on the line and shout "Play up Yorkie!!". York's a great city for a late night. Pity it has no HEC rugby team.
This from the days of Yore??
The hardest match I played for in College was against the Garda College.....basically they're fit in College and have to be of a certain height. The bellies re-appear two weeks after being "stationed"
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I played for the Mighty Maynooth Maulers circa 1988 - 1991 - some of the best, worst and happiest memories playing with those degenerate, alcoholic perverts...Happy Daze!
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

tones wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:Before many of you were born I turned out (with varying degrees of success) for Huddersfield Polytechnic RUFC.

The hardest match I played for in College was against the Garda College.....basically they're fit in College and have to be of a certain height. The bellies re-appear two weeks after being "stationed"
I know what you mean - we once played Wakefield Prison Warders, Wakefield Prison being one of the maximum security prisons housing the hardest and nastiest of criminals.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Mauler wrote:I played for the Mighty Maynooth Maulers circa 1988 - 1991 - some of the best, worst and happiest memories playing with those degenerate, alcoholic perverts...Happy Daze!
Ah, you played on the seminary team then? :P
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Mauler wrote:I played for the Mighty Maynooth Maulers circa 1988 - 1991 - some of the best, worst and happiest memories playing with those degenerate, alcoholic perverts...Happy Daze!
Learn any good songs there???
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Duke Raoul wrote:
There were a few from the seminary on the team alright ... one fella from Kerry called Keg! And another, when slagged that they were all fags in there said ... 'ah no, theres only one or two'
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

sarah_lennon wrote:
Only to be sung in polite company!!! :lol:

Played for the world's oldest rugby club back in 1991-94, 3's-3B's. Never managed the win over Stillorgan Polytechnic though :cry:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

combatlogo wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
Only to be sung in polite company!!! :lol:

Played for the world's oldest rugby club back in 1991-94, 3's-3B's. Never managed the win over Stillorgan Polytechnic though :cry:
CL, you know we're too good! You let CUS down by going to Trinners
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Mauler wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote:
There were a few from the seminary on the team alright ... one fella from Kerry called Keg! And another, when slagged that they were all fags in there said ... 'ah no, theres only one or two'
:lol: :lol: :lol: Classic.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

sarah_lennon wrote:
You've heard some of my songs ... they are not good songs ... they are great songs!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Uncle Mort wrote:
tones wrote:

I know what you mean - we once played Wakefield Prison Warders, Wakefield Prison being one of the maximum security prisons housing the hardest and nastiest of criminals.

Have played the Prison Guards a couple of times...tough enough but slow as f*ck!!!
Yeah I'd say those Wakefield lads knew a trick or two!!!
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

tones wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote:
tones wrote: This from the days of Yore??

Have played the Prison Guards a couple of times...tough enough but slow as f*ck!!!
Yeah I'd say those Wakefield lads knew a trick or two!!!
They certainly did - but as you say they were slow and ultimately no match for the students who could run round them.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

Mauler wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
You've heard some of my songs ... they are not good songs ... they are great songs!
"Mauler's Greatest Hits" - perfect pressie for Xmas!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

combatlogo wrote:
Mauler wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote: Learn any good songs there???
"Mauler's Greatest Hits" - perfect pressie for Xmas!
Fame at last :lol: