Towns Cup Draw

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

crusty
Beginner

Towns Cup Draw

Post by crusty »

The draw has been made for the 2007 RE/MAX Towns Cup competition

The first round of the RE/MAX Towns Cup will take place on the February 25 with games kicking off at 3pm.

Edenderry v Portarlington
Wicklow v Navan
New Ross v Arklow
Tullamore v Rathdrum
Athy v Ashbourne
Co Carlow v Kilkenny
Boyne v Mullingar
Gorey v Skerries
Dundalk v Portlaoise
North Kildare v Clane
Cill Dara v Newbridge
Naas v Tullow
Roscrea v Swords

Enniscorthy, Longford and Clondalkin all have byes into the second round.

As usual some interesting clashes!
tones
Shane Jennings

Re: Towns Cup Draw

Post by tones »

crusty wrote:The draw has been made for the 2007 RE/MAX Towns Cup competition

The first round of the RE/MAX Towns Cup will take place on the February 25 with games kicking off at 3pm.

Wicklow v Navan
New Ross v Arklow
Tullamore v Rathdrum
Athy v Ashbourne
Co Carlow v Kilkenny
Boyne v Mullingar
Gorey v Skerries
Dundalk v Portlaoise
North Kildare v Clane
Cill Dara v Newbridge
Naas v Tullow
Roscrea v Swords

Enniscorthy, Longford and Clondalkin all have byes into the second round.

As usual some interesting clashes!

Swords are at home to Roscrea...at least thats what I was told. Still, tough fixture I'd imagine. Any let me know what they are like?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

Wicklow v Navan
New Ross v Arklow
Tullamore v Rathdrum
Athy v Ashbourne
Co Carlow v Kilkenny
Boyne v Mullingar
Gorey v Skerries
Dundalk v Portlaoise
North Kildare v Clane
Cill Dara v Newbridge
Naas v Tullow
Roscrea v Swords

Think Wicklow against Navan will be the only upset in the first round. Newbridge will bring plenty of spirit and effort to Beechpark and in what I imagine will be a cracker their lack of leadership and tactically nous will undermine them.

Winners to come from Tullamore, Cill Dara or Boyne. Naas will be too wrapped up in the Round-Robin...
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Edenderry v Portarlington is goona be one big mill!!!!
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
kiruna
Beginner

Post by kiruna »

Port are playing Edenderry this weekend in the league so the cup will be round two!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

kiruna wrote:Port are playing Edenderry this weekend in the league so the cup will be round two!

Jaysus!!
Rabbitts Jump
Beginner

Post by Rabbitts Jump »

tones wrote:
kiruna wrote:Port are playing Edenderry this weekend in the league so the cup will be round two!

Jaysus!!
Similiarily with Ashbourne versus Athy. Given their form in Division Two, would anyone fancy their chances?

Also, where Malahide not meant to be in it this year?
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Yeah but they won't be as violent matches!! Yeah surprised not to see Malahide, I'm sure they're concentrating on the league or something.....
Rabbitts Jump
Beginner

Post by Rabbitts Jump »

tones wrote:Yeah but they won't be as violent matches!! Yeah surprised not to see Malahide, I'm sure they're concentrating on the league or something.....
Indeed. From watching Edenderry in action, they would appear to be quite limited. Big lads, but if you spin the ball you would have to fancy Port.

What team do Carlow field in this?
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Rabbitts Jump wrote:
tones wrote:Yeah but they won't be as violent matches!! Yeah surprised not to see Malahide, I'm sure they're concentrating on the league or something.....
Indeed. From watching Edenderry in action, they would appear to be quite limited. Big lads, but if you spin the ball you would have to fancy Port.

What team do Carlow field in this?

Typical Derry team so.....

I would presume a seconds/20's team.
Rabbitts Jump
Beginner

Post by Rabbitts Jump »

Is this the first time Carlow are in it since going senior? I don't remember them being there in recent times.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Not sure, would think so, only possibly when they had just gone senior and still wanted some local derbies.
8M LEINSTAW
Bookworm

Post by 8M LEINSTAW »

Carlow were in the Towns Cup until 2002. The got to the final that season with their J1 team (senior seconds). Kilkenny beat them in the final.

Following some other provincial clubs 'objections' to having a senior club (albeit a fellow provincial club) enter a team in the PTC, Carlow were 'banished' to the Metro competition until this season.

Personally I think it's great to have them back. I know there's still a lot of Carlow members and supporters who rate the PTC as important as any competition the senior team is in.
Cubs fan, Bud man.