Schools Rugby in Donnybrook

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Uncle Mort wrote: What must be sorted is that the children always play on a different pitch. The situation, a bit down the line, can not be allowed to develop where someone says that the children's matches are getting big crowds so they should be moved to the larger RDS. Let them have DB - children like to play in the sand and keep the best for the best.
Those "children playing in the sand" are the future Brian O'Driscolls, Gordon D'arcys and Luke Fitzgeralds so try not to sound so glib, it's quite unbecoming.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Uncle Mort wrote: What must be sorted is that the children always play on a different pitch. The situation, a bit down the line, can not be allowed to develop where someone says that the children's matches are getting big crowds so they should be moved to the larger RDS. Let them have DB - children like to play in the sand and keep the best for the best.
Those "children playing in the sand" are the future Brian O'Driscolls, Gordon D'arcys and Luke Fitzgeralds so try not to sound so glib, it's quite unbecoming.
They may be, but they can play anywhere and unfortunately there churning up the pitch is risking the fitness and health of the current BRian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy and Luke Fitzgerald.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Ah the real Duff is back! :lol:

Feel better now? :wink:
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
They may be, but they can play anywhere and unfortunately there churning up the pitch is risking the fitness and health of the current BRian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy and Luke Fitzgerald.
I attended rugby schools, I've been to hundreds of schools games in Donnybrook and Lansdowne Road, I still go these days, to the finals, but I have to agree with Flash, it's ridiculous playing 1st round junior cup games in Donnybrook, it should be saved for Junior semis and final, and senior quarters and semis.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: Those "children playing in the sand" are the future Brian O'Driscolls, Gordon D'arcys and Luke Fitzgeralds so try not to sound so glib, it's quite unbecoming.
I attended rugby schools, I've been to hundreds of schools games in Donnybrook and Lansdowne Road, I still go these days, to the finals, but I have to agree with Flash, it's ridiculous playing 1st round junior cup games in Donnybrook, it should be saved for Junior semis and final, and senior quarters and semis.
I remember playing games there - I went to Andrews so they were never more than 1st round games... :wink: - and I was bemused at the time as to why mickey mouse schools games were being played there. Fair enough for the later stages at a push.....

Surely some temporary stands at BElvo round the corner would do the job?
Leinster Believer
Graduate

Post by Leinster Believer »

Stradbrook could hold some the games as well. I think it has before in the past and would be an ideal location for some of schools.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Flash Gordon wrote:
jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: They may be, but they can play anywhere and unfortunately there churning up the pitch is risking the fitness and health of the current BRian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy and Luke Fitzgerald.
I remember playing games there - I went to Andrews so they were never more than 1st round games... :wink: - and I was bemused at the time as to why mickey mouse schools games were being played there. Fair enough for the later stages at a push.....

That was my downfall, I wasn't good enough to play in Donnybrook, maybe I should have gone to Andrews :lol: :lol:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
jrc wrote: I attended rugby schools, I've been to hundreds of schools games in Donnybrook and Lansdowne Road, I still go these days, to the finals, but I have to agree with Flash, it's ridiculous playing 1st round junior cup games in Donnybrook, it should be saved for Junior semis and final, and senior quarters and semis.

That was my downfall, I wasn't good enough to play in Donnybrook, maybe I should have gone to Andrews :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, Rock rif raff weren't accepted. :P
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

jrc wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: Those "children playing in the sand" are the future Brian O'Driscolls, Gordon D'arcys and Luke Fitzgeralds so try not to sound so glib, it's quite unbecoming.
Yeah as I said in the previous page of this thread they are playing too many schools games in donnybrook considering the current situation with the lack of stadia for the senior team but we have to just hope that the pitch will hold up given that it has the correct bedding in time - a luxury it was not afforded last season. In any case it will only be an issue for two Leinster matches - Connacht and Borders so potential for injury is limited.

LB -

Stradbrook, Lakelands, DLSP etc already host many schools matches but they really could have given them more this season as the senior team is limited to playing in Donnybrook and the schools QF, SF and F will all have to be played in the donnybrook as well.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

The UCD "bowl", would be an ideal location for Schools matches alongside Stradbroook, Lakelands and Anglesea road at a push. Just have the Final in Donnybrook.

Problem solved.... :wink:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:The UCD "bowl", would be an ideal location for Schools matches alongside Stradbroook, Lakelands and Anglesea road at a push. Just have the Final in Donnybrook.

Again, they already do play matches there (well everywhere except Anglesea Rd afaik), just probably not enough - especially with circumstances as they are this season. The other issue is that the crowds from the QF up (2nd round up for some schools) are big. Plus, they have a deal with setanta so maybe setanta demanded that they're in donnybrook for broadcasting purposes, sponsor exposure on tv etc.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

It's actually a sad indictment of AIL grounds that people find it hard to mention more than one or two that have the capacity to hold a schools game....
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote:The UCD "bowl", would be an ideal location for Schools matches alongside Stradbroook, Lakelands and Anglesea road at a push. Just have the Final in Donnybrook.

Again, they already do play matches there (well everywhere except Anglesea Rd afaik), just probably not enough - especially with circumstances as they are this season. The other issue is that the crowds from the QF up (2nd round up for some schools) are big. Plus, they have a deal with setanta so maybe setanta demanded that they're in donnybrook for broadcasting purposes, sponsor exposure on tv etc.
I can't imagine Setanta are paying big money for the schools games?? Surely the branch are just giving them to Setanta for free in order to gain a bit of exposure??
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

dingbat wrote:
Mrs. Miggins wrote:
Stop trying to slate Munster, it does you no good, same as teh Boring Boring munster chants do you no good. Just support Leinster. You have a great side get behind them.
Agreed - I can't understand people who say they are supporting their team, but are in fact just slagging off another one. Let's concentrate on what WE do and how we do it & fe*k everyone else. Who gives a shoite about the Lunsters ?
Can't do anything about the present ones. They are a write-off. However, we should do all we can to stop further drain on the support base.
I think a good way of doing this is focusing on the clubs which play the mini games at half time - it was Portarlington and Guinness last Sat, Tallaght and Clane this weekend. Presumably this focus on less traditional, "community-based" clubs is deliberate - what the branch should be doing( they may well be and if so, full credit to them) is bunging free adult tickets to these clubs so the parents can come and see little Johnny in between watching some of the best players in the world. Next time, little Johnny and his mum/dad will want to come along to maintain the Leinster experience and we have a rake of new supporters, including young kids.

Also, do/have the branch run/subsidised coaches/tickets for clubs down the country???
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Duff Paddy wrote:

Typical Setanta....again I say TG4 never got up the noses of so many!!

Duff, I am sure they do play more games outside of Donnybrook. I guess just not enough. The pitch is going to be in shite, I was sitting in the stand and at the Bective side right infront of the 22 and the pitch was pretty bald. My Dad actually said, that pitch looks terrible for all the talk of the settling in that it was meant to do during the summer.

D'arce definitely focked up his back or his hammer due to the craters a few seasons ago.

Saipan anyone....like training on a car park....
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

combatlogo wrote: focusing on the clubs which play the mini games at half time
where is Flash to give out about the mini rugby churning up the pitch at donnybrook! It's a disgrace I tells ya. :lol:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:
Duff, I am sure they do play more games outside of Donnybrook. I guess just not enough. The pitch is going to be in shite, I was sitting in the stand and at the Bective side right infront of the 22 and the pitch was pretty bald. My Dad actually said, that pitch looks terrible for all the talk of the settling in that it was meant to do during the summer.

D'arce definitely focked up his back or his hammer due to the craters a few seasons ago.

Saipan anyone....like training on a car park....
Well Bluesky if what you're saying is right then the blame must lie with the contractors for the pitch and/or the groundsmen at Donnybrook because that pitch has hardly been walked on this season. I thought it looked fine from the terrace with the rest of the hoi polloi but obviously it looked different from the lofty elevations of the stand.

Here are the schools matches to be played in Donnybrook, fairly drastically reduced from previous years - still quite a lot of matches in a short time frame though:

Leinster Senior Cup

1st Round:

All Kick Offs 2.30pm unless stated

A: 01/02 - Clongowes v Qualifier 4 (Naas)
B: 29/01 - Qualifier 2 v St. Mary's (Stradbrook)
C: 29/01 - Qualifier 3 v Qualifier 1 (Iveagh Grounds)
D: 30/01 - Castleknock v Terenure (Donnybrook)
E: 01/02 - St. Michael's v St. Gerard's (Donnybrook)
F: 29/01 - Belvedere v St. Andrew's (Templeville Road)
G: 29/01 - Kilkenny v C.C. Roscrea (Portlaoise)
H: 28/01 - Blackrock v Gonzaga (Donnybrook)

2nd Round:

All Kick Offs 3pm unless stated

I: 12/02 - Winners A v B (Donnybrook)
J: 13/02 - Winners C v D (Templeville Road)
K: 18/02 - Winners E v F (Donnybrook)
L: 14/02 - Winners G v H (Donnybrook)

Semi Finals:

Both Kick Offs at 4.15pm

M: 04/03 - Winners of I v J (Donnybrook)
N: 06/03 - Winners of K v L (Donnybrook)

Final:

Kick Off at 3.30pm

Sunday 18/03 (Donnybrook)

Vinnie Murray (Senior) Cup

1st Round:

All games on 15/01 at 2.30pm

A: Newpark v St. Columba's (Kilternan)
B: CUS v Pres Bray (Stradbrook)
C: King's Hospital v CBC Monkstown (Donnybrook back pitch)
D: Newbridge v Wesley (Barnhall)

2nd Round:

All games on 22/01 at 2.30pm

E: Skerries v Templeogue (Coolmine)
F: A v B (Seapoint)
G: C v D (Lakelands)
H: High School v Mount Temple (Iveagh Grounds)

Semi Final:

I: Qualifier 1 v Qualifier 2
J: Qualifier 3 v Qualifier 4

Fr. Godfrey (Junior) Cup

1st Round:

All games on 17/01 at 2.30pm

A: Naas CBS v Good Counsel (Carlow)
B: King's Hospital v Templeogue (Westmanstown)
C: St. Gerard's v Wesley College (Greystones)
D: High School v St. Andrew's (Donnybrook Back Pitch)
E: C.C. Roscrea v St. Paul's (Athy)

2nd Round:

All games on 24/01 at 2.30pm

F: CUS v Winner of A (Arklow)
G: Winners of B v C (Donnybrook Back Pitch)
H: Winners of D v E (Cill Dara)
I: St. Patrick's Navan v Pres Bray (North Kildare)

Semi Final:

I: Qualifier 1 v Qualifier 2
J: Qualifier 3 v Qualifier 4

Junior Cup

1st Round:

Kick Off at 3pm unless stated

A: 06/02 - St. Mary's v Newbridge (Donnybrook)
B: 05/02 - Qualifier 3 v Skerries C.S. (ALSAA)
C: 05/02 - St. Michael's v Kilkenny (Athy)
D: 05/02 - Clongowes v Qualifier 4 (North Kildare)
E: 05/02 - Qualifier 2 v Terenure (Barnhall)
F: 05/02 - Qualifier 1 v Gonzaga (Maynooth)
G: 08/02 - CBC Monkstown v Castleknock (Donnybrook)
H: 04/02 - Blackrock v Belvedere (Donnybrook, *KO: 2.30pm due to clash with Ireland international)

2nd Round:

Kick Off at 3.30pm unless stated

I: 26/02 - Winners of A v B (Donnybrook)
J: 01/03 - Winners of C v D (Donnybrook)
K: 01/03 - Winners of E v F (Donnybrook)
L: 27/02 - Winners of G v H (Donnybrook)

Semi Finals:

Kick Off at 4.15pm

M: 11/03 - A/B v C/D (Donnybrook)
N: 13/03 - E/F v G/H (Donnybrook)

Final:

Kick Off at 3.30pm

25/03 (Donnybrook)
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Perhaps, its the shadow of the stand or the water running off the roof onto that area that is causing the grass to look, well bare! No I hadn't had a drop to drink when I was at the match on sat!

Thanks for listing all the matches Duff, just shows Rock's journey to the SCT final .... :lol:
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:
Thanks for listing all the matches Duff, just shows Rock's journey to the SCT final .... :lol:
Michaels have it in the bag this year - thank fock. Anybody but rock at this stage.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote:
Michaels have it in the bag this year - thank fock. Anybody but rock at this stage.
Much as I would like them to win it, Michaels have it in the bag every year and choke right before going gets tough.

Last years team had the best chance, imo.