Schools Rugby in Donnybrook

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
combatlogo wrote: focusing on the clubs which play the mini games at half time
where is Flash to give out about the mini rugby churning up the pitch at donnybrook! It's a disgrace I tells ya. :lol:
Too fockin right :lol:
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote:
Last years team had the best chance, imo.
Are you kidding? Everyone thought they'd get hammered off the pitch by Rock - as it turned out they were within a kick of winning. I watched that team go from a shakey start against Pres Bray and really turn into something special by the end of the tournament. Virtually the entire team returns this year, with loads of them on the Leinster panel. They have got to be favourites - Rock is their bogey team but I think they have every chance of winning the cup this year and fair play, it would mean a lot to the school.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote:
Are you kidding? Everyone thought they'd get hammered off the pitch by Rock - as it turned out they were within a kick of winning. I watched that team go from a shakey start against Pres Bray and really turn into something special by the end of the tournament. Virtually the entire team returns this year, with loads of them on the Leinster panel. They have got to be favourites - Rock is their bogey team but I think they have every chance of winning the cup this year and fair play, it would mean a lot to the school.
Just out of interest - how many competitions have there been and how many have Rock won?
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote:
I have been hearing about last years SCT in Michaels since most of them were in 1st year and they were touted by all in sundry in Michaels as the team that were going to do it.

They'll be missing Cummiskey, Shanley, McKillan to name a few. All of which were massively influential on the side.
That winger (now in 5th year) looks to have massive potential.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Think they've won it 57 odd times, DOB! will be on in a flash to remind us I'm sure
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

bluesky wrote: That winger (now in 5th year) looks to have massive potential.
Yeah true but he need more time up in westwood to bulk up. Their centres and their backrow are quality.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
bluesky wrote:
Just out of interest - how many competitions have there been and how many have Rock won?
Rock have won something like 65/78 finals.....
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Should this thread move forum's???
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:Think they've won it 57 odd times, DOB! will be on in a flash to remind us I'm sure
Just checked. 65 times. Next best are Gick and Belvo on 9. Why on earth does anyone have any interest in a bunch of rich school kids running around while playing in a tournament that's only ever going to be won by one team? :?
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Think they've won it 57 odd times, DOB! will be on in a flash to remind us I'm sure
Just checked. 65 times. Next best are Gick and Belvo on 9. Why on earth does anyone have any interest in a bunch of rich school kids running around while playing in a tournament that's only ever going to be won by one team? :?
Kinda like Ireland V All Blacks really, no lack of interest there either.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

PS there's no y in Renards :shock:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Split this thread! :evil:
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

Flash Gordon wrote:

Its called tradition!
You could ask the same thing of the English Premiership, when Keano and the lads were winning the Premiership, year after year. It only encouraged the other clubs to get better and win the damned thing.

I for one think the Schools matches are integral to Leinster Rugby, they have been around alot longer than any "Leinster Lion" shoite. If I have any sons I hope they get to experience it.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Flash - it's because people keep it going - they enjoy their days out to watch the 1st round, and the 2nd round and the 3rd round and the 4th round and the quarter finals and the semi finals and the final when Rock beat someone they've beaten loads of times before. They like to put the old school tie and blazer on and meet up and talk about the old days that they haven't talked about since last year and how this year is going to be their year. But of course this isn't true because it will be Rocks year.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Well, its test rugby played at intensity with fantastic skills by the best professional rugby players in the world. I went along to see a schools game last year to see what all the fuss was about. Great atmosphere, but the rugby was dreadful - as you'd expect from a bunch of kids.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

bluesky wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Its called tradition!
You could ask the same thing of the English Premiership, when Keano and the lads were winning the Premiership, year after year. It only encouraged the other clubs to get better and win the damned thing.

I for one think the Schools matches are integral to Leinster Rugby, they have been around alot longer than any "Leinster Lion" shoite. If I have any sons I hope they get to experience it.
Yeah, but that hasn't worked has it? Rock still dominate. And given that Ireland have the worst record of any team apart from Italy in the 6 Nations it hasn't worked as a breeding ground for great Ireland teams either.

Not sure what Leinster Lion has to do with anything....I also hope my sons get to play in it, and I hope they get to meet a school from Tallaght, Dundalk or Tullamore in the final.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: Just checked. 65 times. Next best are Gick and Belvo on 9. Why on earth does anyone have any interest in a bunch of rich school kids running around while playing in a tournament that's only ever going to be won by one team? :?
Well, its test rugby played at intensity with fantastic skills by the best professional rugby players in the world. I went along to see a schools game last year to see what all the fuss was about. Great atmosphere, but the rugby was dreadful - as you'd expect from a bunch of kids.
So is it the quality of the rugby or is it the fact that you think the result is a foregone conclusion? The quality of schools rugby can be dire or it can be fantastic, just like the club, provincial or international game.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Duff Paddy wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote: Kinda like Ireland V All Blacks really, no lack of interest there either.
So is it the quality of the rugby or is it the fact that you think the result is a foregone conclusion? The quality of schools rugby can be dire or it can be fantastic, just like the club, provincial or international game.
You're better placed to make a judgment to be honest Duff cos I don't watch enough of it. I watched a couple of games on Setanta last year - including the final. For me the level of rugby is not comparable and that does make a difference. Obviously there's no way that amateur kids can play at anything like the same level as the All Blacks, Ireland or Leinster (well maybe they can play at the level we played vs the Borders away.... :cry: )
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

And given that Ireland have the worst record of any team apart from Italy in the 6 Nations
Being pedantic, how do you work that out? Unless you're talking mainly about the 5N?

Ireland's main problem in the past has been the link between schools and the international side. Far too much emphasise was placed on picking older players who had done their service for their club and were now experienced. As a result many promising school stars either quit or didn't develop due to lack of interest/not being picked for their club side (again because they weren't old enough).

Now we have a system where the stars come out and straight into a clear career path. Which is why, since 2000, only France have won more 6N matches than Ireland. Fine you can look at actual trophies but it's hardly like we're finding it hard to win individual matches where before we had serious problems.
bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

CM wrote:
And given that Ireland have the worst record of any team apart from Italy in the 6 Nations
Being pedantic, how do you work that out? Unless you're talking mainly about the 5N?

Ireland's main problem in the past has been the link between schools and the international side. Far too much emphasise was placed on picking older players who had done their service for their club and were now experienced. As a result many promising school stars either quit or didn't develop due to lack of interest/not being picked for their club side (again because they weren't old enough).

Now we have a system where the stars come out and straight into a clear career path. Which is why, since 2000, only France have won more 6N matches than Ireland. Fine you can look at actual trophies but it's hardly like we're finding it hard to win individual matches where before we had serious problems.
What I was about to write and more articulately than I would have!
The Academies are doing an incredible job if you ask me. Not all school rugby stars are going to make it at the next level.
Maybe they don't want to ...maybe they get injured like Scally/Gibney from Rock or have more promising careers academically they would like to further.