The Leinster Schools Senior Cup Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

bluesky
Mullet

Post by bluesky »

scrum25 wrote:17 - 6 to the southside rioters

Yeessss ...hopefully what goes around comes around!
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

bluesky wrote:

You're telling me to hang my head in shame :?: :?:

Can't see Michaels touching them, unfortunately. Now to find a Pub showing that game instead of the Turnips!
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

bluesky wrote:

Don't think so Blue. If there was any justice, several of their players wouldn't be on the team, never mind in the school....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I stupidly went to Rock V Belvo today. Unbelievably bad weather and an unbelievably bad game, with unbeblievably bad supporters.

On the evidence of both teams performances so far, Michaels will get spanked by Rock in the final. I'm also expecting world war III in the East Terrace on Paddy's day. C'mon Michaels!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Rock v Michaels final. That will be some grudge match. I hope that Michaels can somehow do it. They should have enough motivation anyway
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I would love, really love, Michaels to win it. But I can't see their pack getting a look in.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I wasn't impressed with either team today so you never know what could happen on Paddy's day
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Belvo had so much ball today and just couldn't get out of their half. if rock give away that much ball to michaels, they'll be punished. C'mon Michaels
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

if rock give away that much ball to michaels, they'll be punished
As you say, Darce, thet Michaels backline is calls and can punish Rock
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Michaels winning the SCT would be like Munster winning the HEC - unbearable! What do they both have in common? No rugby tradition and full of their own self importance. Oops, I forgot two other factors - they believe their own hype and are unbelievable chokers.
It always amuses me that Michaels are lumped in with the likes of Blackrock, Clongowes, Terenure etc...... they've won fock all....

"Born in a stable does not a racehorse make......" i.e. just because they just so happen to be in D4 and are fee-paying doesn't automatically give them a right to win anything... maybe they think they can buy the focking cup. :roll:
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

KO on Friday is 3.30.

Should be able to get both games in :lol:
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Just reading through this.

Amazing the amount of bitterness and Chippiness (my own brand new word for today) is generated amongst people about the SCT.

It's Schoolboy rugby when all is said and done.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:Just reading through this.

Amazing the amount of bitterness and Chippiness (my own brand new word for today) is generated amongst people about the SCT.

What on earth are you talking about???? :? What bitterness? You have an example of this?
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash Gordon wrote:

What on earth are you talking about???? :? What bitterness? You have an example of this?
Ok - so it's all in good spirit then, Flash? Talking about people who should be expelled from schools, never mind thrown off teams? Why are you saying that kind of thing about a crowd of leaving Cert students? and would you care to name those students, seeing as you clearly have the facts to hand on this case, and the rest of us don't? and comments from others about "Putting one over the Southside Rioters". You don't think that's a bit odd?

You don't think it's getting just a little out of hand? These are Leaving Cert students playing in a Schools competition. It's not the World Cup.

I have a cousin playing for Rock on Friday - I think the level of obsession here about it is wierd, and I know he does too.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:

Ok - so it's all in good spirit then, Flash? Talking about people who should be expelled from schools, never mind thrown off teams? Why are you saying that kind of thing about a crowd of leaving Cert students? and would you care to name those students, seeing as you clearly have the facts to hand on this case, and the rest of us don't? and comments from others about "Putting one over the Southside Rioters". You don't think that's a bit odd?

You don't think it's getting just a little out of hand? These are Leaving Cert students playing in a Schools competition. It's not the World Cup.

I have a cousin playing for Rock on Friday - I think the level of obsession here about it is wierd, and I know he does too.
Actually I do think most of this is in good spirit. The South side rioters comments in CLEARLY a joke. :?

As you well know I couldn't give a flying fock who lifts the SCT on St.Patricks day, i won't be watching it. And I certainly have no bitterness towards Blackrock - Blackrock college has no influence on my life whatsoever. I didn't go there and my kids certainly won't. I think the place is wierd and more than a bit freaky (and that's not just my view, its the view of many people who went there - not all, but many that I've spoken too).

On the expulsion/suspension thing - you've COMPLETELY missed the point. What we are saying is that kids who spray paint cars, daub changing rooms or bully kids should be disciplined. Or are you suggesting that they shouldn't?

What we saw were two schools dealling with things in vastly different ways. CUS acting with honour and discipline, and Blackrock doing the opposite. Many of us think that's wrong. And that's our right. This is a free country and we are entitled to express our views on these issues in the same way you have a right to express your views on this or anything else.

As for our "obsession". No there isn't, and there quite obviously isn't - we make passing comment on a messageboard. That's the extent to which it influences our lives. What's obsessive are teenage boys training on Stephen's day morning, getting up at the crack of dawn to train, skipping lessons to train, getting special diets and meals for which they are entitled to skip lunch lines etc etc. That really is obsessive.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

OK - with regard to honour and discipline.

I would have a HUGE issue with Alan McGinty for not sending the kids involved in the Desmond vandalism straight to the police. Make no mistake on that score.
However I wonder how much of the whole "Blackrock College is a cradle of anarchy and contempt for others" vibe here, is being influenced by what was reported in the Independent with regard to that incident. I did hear some of the background to it from very reliable sources, and it seems that the home of one of the Blackrock team was initially attacked (eggs, I believe) by some Michaels' students. This appeared to prompt an infantile and pathetic response from a couple of Blackrock students who daubed face paint on a car in Ailesbury Road.
Now, for this whole thing to make the papers, says much about what we are a society. Don't you think? And for the home owner, ie Dermot Desmond, to go to the school with CCTV footage, rather than to the police, says more.

Someone made a valid point on this site about the fact that the story broke, in the way it did, and with the slant it did, in a paper owned by a famous ex-Belvedere rugby player the week that Rock and Belvo were to meet in the Schools cup semi final.

To me, this whole thing smacks of pettiness, of juvenile delinquency, of paranoia and of suspicion. For fecks' sake, I can remember the boys in local schools pelting our classroom windows with eggs on the last day of term - that didn't warrant coverage in the media, and nor was it linked with schools being untouchable or certain students being above the law!!

I'm also slightly perturbed that a player who had previously held the Rock captaincy, but was injured and unavailable for selection in the early rounds of the cup, is being implicated in this whole tawdry little incident. But that's an aside. The paper stopped short of naming the kids involved - why? were they concerned about possible libel actions? but that hasn't stopped the innuendo.

Wtih regard to the CUS incident. I actually said yesterday here, that a lot of what was beign said was conjecture. Whilst others, yourself included, Flash, were very quick to chip in with views. It actually appears now that the incident was FAR more serious than face paint-and-eggs. At least, I'd attach more gravity to a physical assault by a group of teenagers, causing concussion, on a younger student, than I would on handbags involving face paint and eggs. Wouldn't you?

I've a cousin playing Friday as you know. Whether I go to the match on fRdiay or not, will depend on the weather. I'd much rather stay indoors and watch it, and then head to Donnybrook afterwards. Seriously. The SCT doesn't really mean that much to me, family or no.

What I do take issue with, is the bloody cr@p surrounding it. Spreads in the papers, reports on players' injuries - ffs these are KIDS!!! And when I see it all being replicated here, I think that I'm allowed state my opinion. At least I hope I am. I also dislike the blanket condemnation of Blackrock college - I think it smacks of a bit of begrudgery, to be honest.

Hope that makes sense.

Ps skipping lunch lines cause you're on the S is focked. I agree!!
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

"I think the place is wierd and more than a bit freaky (and that's not just my view, its the view of many people who went there - not all, but many that I've spoken to. "

And that's absolutely your right to do so, Flash. As I'm fond of saying, freedom of expression is the reason we live in the Rep of Ireland, not in North Korea :wink: .
Of course, many institutions on this fine little island of ours, could be viewed as wierd and more than a bit freaky. Dont you agree?

I'd just hope that you don't tar all those who went to Rock/still go there with the same brush? IE wierd and more than a bit freaky? And that maybe blanket judgements and a rush to condemn without hearing all the facts, should be moderated from time to time?
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Well I focking love schools rugby. Most of my mates went to Michaels and I'm hoping for a repeat of the Rock jersey burning ceremony that they did in the Junior Cup final a few years ago. That was good craic.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Duff Paddy wrote:Well I focking love schools rugby. Most of my mates went to Michaels and I'm hoping for a repeat of the Rock jersey burning ceremony that they did in the Junior Cup final a few years ago. That was good craic.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Listen, my father, who turned 60 this January, STILL sings Rock rugby songs when he has a few pints on him.

Mad? Quite possibly.
Wierd and freaky? ... a bit harsh, I think, but some might say yes!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I was at Rock V Belvo in the semi's and Ruairi Quinn was in front of us, pissed and singing the Rock songs. If that doesn't tell you that we're a joke country, then nothing does!