The Leinster Schools Senior Cup Thread

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Duff Paddy wrote:I was at Rock V Belvo in the semi's and Ruairi Quinn was in front of us, pissed and singing the Rock songs. If that doesn't tell you that we're a joke country, then nothing does!

What do you reckon all the old alickadoos would do if the SCT was banned for a year? Would they march on Leinster Rugby, a la Ross and his mates, when it was announced that Bective was to be razed to the ground?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

1. What on earth are you talking about. Nobody is talking about a "craddle of anarchy". We are expressing a view on an incident.
:?
2. If you think Tony O'Reilly, a global businessman dealling in billions of Euro every year would take time out to tell the editor of the Indo to publish this report to disrupt Blackrock before a kids rugby match, i think you need to think again to be honest. By the way, it was the editor's decision to run the piece.

3. There is no implication of anyone on this site, no names. ONE person mentioned that the captain of the team was involved.Nobody commented further. There is no widespread innuuendo and no speculation as to the individuals involved.I'm afraid you're wrong on that.

4. On CUS - what I ACTUALLY said was that there was obviously something more to the situation than a few guys giving a "few slaps" and I actually suggested there WAS clearly more to it and that bullying was very very serious. I'd actually appreciate an apology on this one for misrepresenting my views.

5. I think its interesting that you question others' right to discuss or debate on the Blackrock incident but that you feel its ok to issue an opinion on the CUS incident, which as you rightly point out is far more serious. ..Care to provide an explanation for this apparently contradictory view?

What gets my goat is the system of old school ties, favours and protection. It held Ireland back for years economically, politically and even in rugby terms. For me, this kind of incident epitomises that Ireland. Many people in Ireland feel that and that's the angle in the media. Its not the incident itself, which is relatively minor. It’s the way Dermot Desmond and Blackrock College moved to protect boys who in almost any other school in Dublin or anywhere else would have been reportered to the Guards or at least faced substantial sanction from their schools. And the way the boys got off scott free because they played rugby. This is the issue we are discussing. And I think that's a legitimate discussion.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash Gordon wrote:
What gets my goat is the system of old school ties, favours and protection. It held Ireland back for years economically, politically and even in rugby terms. For me, this kind of incident epitomises that Ireland. Many people in Ireland feel that and that's the angle in the media. Its not the incident itself, which is relatively minor. It’s the way Dermot Desmond and Blackrock College moved to protect boys who in almost any other school in Dublin or anywhere else would have been reportered to the Guards or at least faced substantial sanction from their schools. And the way the boys got off scott free because they played rugby. This is the issue we are discussing. And I think that's a legitimate discussion.
Completely agree on your last point.

But where I would disagree with you, is in your earlier post when you drew the parallels between lack of "honour and discipline" in Blackrock College as opposed to CUS. One incident deals with a situation where schoolboy pranks got out of hand and property was damaged. BTW the first mention you or I heard about this incident, was via the Indo and this site. Or am I wrong? The Indo chose to deal with the Blackrock side of the coin, and didn't make any reference to the preceding events. I don't know why this is. I'd hazard a guess it's because anything to do with Blackrock these days gets unfavourable coverage because of recent unfortunate events. Of which you and I are more than aware...

I'm just not sure how you can equate a concussion to a child, apparently perpetrated by a group of older schoolkids, with paint and egg bombs.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Flash Gordon wrote:2. If you think Tony O'Reilly, a global businessman dealling in billions of Euro every year would take time out to tell the editor of the Indo to publish this report to disrupt Blackrock before a kids rugby match, i think you need to think again to be honest. By the way, it was the editor's decision to run the piece.
I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. Maybe Tony didn't specifically sanction that piece, but certainly he rules his editors with an iron fist and they'd promote a pro Belvo bias on his part, definitely. More fool anybody who reads his rags.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash Gordon wrote:1. What on earth are you talking about. Nobody is talking about a "craddle of anarchy". We are expressing a view on an incident. As indeed is your right. I used the phrase "cradle of anarchy" in a tongue-in-cheek manner. BTW did you see Planet Rugby Schools Shorts in the Irish Times yesterday? If you didn't,. my reference to Anarchy will have gone over your head. There was a cartoon in it referring to the upcoming Final which represented Blackrock in the typeface used by Anarchists. If that isn't a paradox in terms! What I find interesting, is the leaning towards condemnation of Blackrock, rather than perhaps acknowledging that like everywhere, it will have its good and bad apples
:?
2. If you think Tony O'Reilly, a global businessman dealling in billions of Euro every year would take time out to tell the editor of the Indo to publish this report to disrupt Blackrock before a kids rugby match, i think you need to think again to be honest. By the way, it was the editor's decision to run the piece. I was referring to what another contributor had written. I think it's in the thread on Blackrock Students, in this section. And I'd bleedin well hope that Sir Anthony would be above it, but since he always takes time fro his hectic schedule to attend Belvo matches, who knows!

3. There is no implication of anyone on this site, no names. ONE person mentioned that the captain of the team was involved.Nobody commented further. There is no widespread innuuendo and no speculation as to the individuals involved.I'm afraid you're wrong on that. Unfortunately there is innuendo, Flash. And as you well know, I'm' not very happy about it. You yourself said ot me that you'd heard from 3 different people that a particular individual was involved, when I have evidence from reliable sources to suggest he wasn't.

4. On CUS - what I ACTUALLY said was that there was obviously something more to the situation than a few guys giving a "few slaps" and I actually suggested there WAS clearly more to it and that bullying was very very serious. I'd actually appreciate an apology on this one for misrepresenting my views. Sure thing - apologies if you feel I'm misrepresenting your views. I think your views are clearly stated for all to see, so you shouldn't feel the need to ask for an apology. But clearly you do - and that's fine, it's your right. As we live in Ireland and not in North Korea. Etc. What I did have an issue with, was somehow comparing the reaction of CUS to an assault on a pupil, with the reaction Blackrock to vandalism on a car. I know which action I'd have more of an issue with. Concussion to a minor is not funny. In fact, I'm willing to bet it could be classified as GBH.

5. I think its interesting that you question others' right to discuss or debate on the Blackrock incident but that you feel its ok to issue an opinion on the CUS incident, which as you rightly point out is far more serious. ..Care to provide an explanation for this apparently contradictory view? It's not contradictory, and I don't think it's appropriate to twist my views like that, to be honest. I don't question anyone's right to discuss anything. Remember my statement on North Korea! You saw my comment to CM yesterday regarding opinions and discusssing same. What I definitely do have an issue iwth, is blanket condemnation without all the facts.

ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

And after all that - apparently the child at CUS doesn't have concussion.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that bullying and physical aggression towards a youngster by a group of older kids, is disgusting.

So is vandalism, by the way.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

I never said that bullying was equal or even comparable to spray painting a car and its disengenuous to suggest that I did.

What I did say was that bullying was a very serious issue. and I did say was that CUS acted with honour in their incident, whereas Blackrock did not act with homour in theirs. There was absolutely no suggestion that the two incidents were similar.

Interesting isn't it that when we talk about Blackrock students - its innuendo and conjecture and that you have an issue with it. But that you are more than happy to accept one individual's view (who you do not know) that this student had concussion. You mentioned it several times, but here's one example.....

"I'd attach more gravity to a physical assault by a group of teenagers, causing concussion, on a younger student, than I would on handbags involving face paint and eggs. Wouldn't you?"

In fact you go on to get deeper into more personal conjecture, raising the stakes to GBH - which is a VERY serious criminal offence that carries a significant jail sentence if proven.

"I know which action I'd have more of an issue with. Concussion to a minor is not funny. In fact, I'm willing to bet it could be classified as GBH."

If you're looking for it, it was in the post where you accused me of conjecture (though not the one where you falsely suggested that I equated bullying with spray painting):

"Wtih regard to the CUS incident. I actually said yesterday here, that a lot of what was beign said was conjecture. Whilst others, yourself included, Flash, were very quick to chip in with views. It actually appears now that the incident was FAR more serious than face paint-and-eggs."
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

OK Flash - I'm going to have to do some work this afternoon so I will have to take this up wiht you again at some stage.

Briefly:
My whole point on conjecture remains that we need to be bloody careful with it. In a light hearted way, I'm guilty of it too, particularly when I get on my soap box about Eddie O'Sullivan. What I DO have an issue wiht, is when people make blanket statements on others. Particularly when criminal activities are involved, be it the destruction and vandalism of someone's property, or an assault, as we discussed on this thread.

My whole issue with this blanket condemnation is that I think it's odd that the Indo chose to report this story at all, let alone in the week of an "important" match between Rock and Belvo, and then report it with a distinct slant at that. I wonder will the CUS incident receive press coverage? I also think it's very telling that no names were printed in the Indo's piece. Had they all the facts straight, what did they have to hide? For it to make column inches, is the pathetic thing about this, as far as I'm concerned.

And as I said with regard to the CUS incident, both yesterday AND today, I think it would be interesting to hear the real story at some stage, cos you can bet your life we're not hearing a tenth of it on this website. Ditto with regard to the Rock incident. I tend to take anyting the Indo reports with a pillar of salt. That's just me, though!
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Hold on you actually levelled a suggestion that the kids might be guilty of GBH! On what evidence? Basically upon the word of a poster that the kid had concussion, a poster you know nothing about!

If you're going to highlight issues that you feel we have with regard to conjecture, that you should look long and hard at your own behaviour.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash Gordon wrote:Hold on you actually levelled a suggestion that the kids might be guilty of GBH! On what evidence? Basically upon the word of a poster that the kid had concussion, a poster you know nothing about!

If you're going to highlight issues that you feel we have with regard to conjecture, that you should look long and hard at your own behaviour.
No, I didn't, actually. Read the post again. I suggested that concussion on a minor might well be classed at such. I didn't level an accusation. I wrote based on what another poster had written here, but also tempered that both here an on the other thread with the need to exercise caution with regard to conjecture.

I said it yesterday also, when the apparent Concussion story was being bandied about. And I've reiterated it today on that thread, and here.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Hold on you actually levelled a suggestion that the kids might be guilty of GBH! On what evidence? Basically upon the word of a poster that the kid had concussion, a poster you know nothing about!

No, I didn't, actually. Read the post again. I suggested that concussion on a minor might well be classed at such. I didn't level an accusation. I wrote based on what another poster had written here, but also tempered that both here an on the other thread with the need to exercise caution with regard to conjecture.

I said it yesterday also, when the apparent Concussion story was being bandied about. And I've reiterated it today on that thread, and here.
So, to be clear, you're telling me that you weren't engaged in conjecture or speculation at all? :?

PS GBH is a criminal charge that carries an heavy prison term. I'd argue that even suggesting another person is guilty or involved in it is the HEIGHT of conjecture
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash, to be very very clear - I stated that concussion of a minor was indeed a serious offence, and could even be classed in GBH terms.

HOWEVER I emphasised the need for caution, in any conjecture that this had happened and asked for more detail as the story itself seemed sketchy enough. There are 2 posts from me with regard to the CUS story, one yesterday and one today, which state as much.
I didn't suggest that anyone was guilty - if you look carefully at what I've written, you'll see I've emphasised the need for more detail before making any judgements!
I mentioned that it APPEARED that the incident was far more serious than had orginally reported, but that we needed more detail to be certain! And as it turns out, the whole story is completely garbled by now. Which kinda backs up my point.....

Hope that this clarifies.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:Flash, to be very very clear - I stated that concussion of a minor was indeed a serious offence, and could even be classed in GBH terms.

HOWEVER I emphasised the need for caution, in any conjecture that this had happened and asked for more detail as the story itself seemed sketchy enough. There are 2 posts from me with regard to the CUS story, one yesterday and one today, which state as much.
I didn't suggest that anyone was guilty - if you look carefully at what I've written, you'll see I've emphasised the need for more detail before making any judgements!
I mentioned that it APPEARED that the incident was far more serious than had orginally reported, but that we needed more detail to be certain! And as it turns out, the whole story is completely garbled by now. Which kinda backs up my point.....

Hope that this clarifies.
I'm sorry - but when you make a comment like "it appeared that the incident was far more serious...." engaging in conjecture is EXACTLY what your're doing.

My point is that you spoke about the CUS incident speculatively and with conjecture in exactly the same way as we chatted about the Blackrock incident.

The important difference is that you based your opinion on a post by a single, anonymous poster who you don't know. Those commenting on the Blackrock incident were discussing a public newspaper article by a publication that would open itself to our libel laws if it lied about the facts.

I think that a piece of journalism in the public demain is fair game for debate. Any further reaction to the Blackrock dimension is probably driven by our own personal experiences and encounters.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

By the way - here's another point, one of the lads was speculating that Indo owner Tony O'Reilly might have been behind planting the story at the time he did.....that's again EXTREME speculation. How come you didn't have a problem with that? Its a pretty serious allegation and you seem ok with that one!:

"Someone made a valid point on this site about the fact that the story broke, in the way it did, and with the slant it did, in a paper owned by a famous ex-Belvedere rugby player the week that Rock and Belvo were to meet in the Schools cup semi final."

By the way, that's not a view I'd put in the public domain, i think Mr.Oreilly and his lawyers would take exception to it......
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

That was me...I just found it interesting that an incident that occured a while ago only found its way into a daily newspaper the week the papers owners beloved alma mater were playing a team containing the individuals who perpetrated the incident.
I have Bumbleflex
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Flash Gordon wrote:By the way - here's another point, one of the lads was speculating that Indo owner Tony O'Reilly might have been behind planting the story at the time he did.....that's again EXTREME speculation. How come you didn't have a problem with that? Its a pretty serious allegation and you seem ok with that one!:

"Someone made a valid point on this site about the fact that the story broke, in the way it did, and with the slant it did, in a paper owned by a famous ex-Belvedere rugby player the week that Rock and Belvo were to meet in the Schools cup semi final."

By the way, that's not a view I'd put in the public domain, i think Mr.Oreilly and his lawyers would take exception to it......
I think you're taking it a bit far . I think the inference was that it was interesting that in the week of a big grudge match, a slanted article appeared in a paper which cast aspersions on the opposite team and school. I don't recall saying that Tony O'Reilly planted the story himself, by the way..and seeing as how we're splitting hairs, I think these days he prefers to be called Sir Anthony O'Reilly and not Mr.... And if his lawyers want to find me, sure they can look me up under Ckav in the phone book. Unless you want to put them in touch with me directly :wink:
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

ckav wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:By the way - here's another point, one of the lads was speculating that Indo owner Tony O'Reilly might have been behind planting the story at the time he did.....that's again EXTREME speculation. How come you didn't have a problem with that? Its a pretty serious allegation and you seem ok with that one!:

I think you're taking it a bit far to suggest that I said that Tony printed the story himself. I think the inference was that it was interesting that in the week of a big grudge match, a slanted article appeared in a paper which cast aspersions on the opposite team and school. I don't recall saying that Tony O'Reilly planted the story himself, by the way..and seeing as how we're splitting hairs, I think these days he prefers to be called Sir Anthony O'Reilly and not Mr.... And if his lawyers want to find me, sure they can look me up under Ckav in the phone book. Unless you want to put them in touch with me directly :wink:
You're missing the point.....again!!! :?

This was conjecture and speculation. How come you didn't pull it up if you have such a problem with it?

Why did you engage in conjecture and speculation as to whether the injuries to the kid could be construed as GBH?

It basically looks like you condemn it when it goes against Rock but that you are happy to engage in it when it comes to rugby players or even students at other schools. That's not right in my view. If you don't engage in conjecture, fair enough, you have the right to moan about it. If you do, your complaints lack credibility.

As an aside, any discomfort with the events involving Blackrock students were primarilly directed at the institution NOT individuals. I think the institution and its ethos are very much open to discussion.

PS By suggesting that the point that raised O'Reilly's ownership of the Indo as a factor was a "valid point", you are definitely suggesting that you at least consider that it might be a factor. Once again, pure conjecture.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

OK, Flash. Let's agree to disagree. How's that?

I'm not sure those hairs we're splitting, can go down any further....
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Is there any work being done in the brewing or banking industries in Dublin today?
Get in the f%~king bag.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Slipper1 wrote:Is there any work being done in the brewing or banking industries in Dublin today?
We're waiting for the beer to age Slipper. Its an essential component of the brewing process.... :wink: