Blackrock V Gonzaga.

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
cud wrote:
I was'nt at the game, but from all the reports, I've heard the ref robbed Zaga blind. I may be wrong but O'Sullivan in the IT is an ex Rock boy, and he was pretty scathing. Really ,really dissapointing. We've had a pretty good few years. Two finals in the juniors and one semi, coupled with some strong senior sides. League wins too. Even so, opportunities like Sunday don't come along for a school Zaga's side very often.
I think he was in Oatlands.
b$&%@#ds
I have Bumbleflex
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

cud wrote:
Paulie Walnuts wrote:I was at the game and the Zagas boys were so unlucky not to get a draw as a minimum. At least Zaga always play in the true corinthian and amateur spirit that should be what schools rugby is all about. On the other hand, for Rock, it seems to be win at all costs. That approach comes right from the top as evidenced by their unabashed poaching of star players from less powerful schools which they've been at for many years. This kind of greedy activity will limit success to a small elite which ain't in the interests of schools rugby and rugby in Leinster in general.
Who have they nicked this year?

I was'nt at the game, but from all the reports, I've heard the ref robbed Zaga blind. I may be wrong but O'Sullivan in the IT is an ex Rock boy, and he was pretty scathing. Really ,really dissapointing. We've had a pretty good few years. Two finals in the juniors and one semi, coupled with some strong senior sides. League wins too. Even so, opportunities like Sunday don't come along for a school Zaga's size very often.
Justin Wright Harris, the number 8, was poached from Pres Bray.
Am considering giving myself a sexy Cedric Heymans pirate scar.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Very disappointing indeed. Some of the ref's calls were incredible. The only minor consolation is that someone is going to murder Rock sooner or later. In countless years of watching schools rugby this must be one of the worst Rock teams I've ever seen...though they demonstrate the cynical approach more than ever!
beanie
Learner

Post by beanie »

i am amazed at the amount of attention that is being paid to the refs performance, how come everyone wasn't up in arms and criticising himafter the final last year when the penalty count against rock was 16-1 in the second half.

this is just another classic example of the begrudgers attitude towards rock, many teams (e.g michaels) would have bowed under gonzagas pressure in the second half but not this rock side and that is not something that has even been mentioned.

its important to win when you are not playing your best, any coach in any sport will tell you that
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

The point is that they did bow to Gonzaga's pressure. Twice. And the ref didn't give the try either time.
beanie
Learner

Post by beanie »

cry me a river hippo, i have lost count of the amount of the amount of bad decisions that have gone against rock since i have been watching the schools cup.

despite this they are the most succesful team int he competition
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

I'm not discussing this on some 'eternal' basis. I was just discussing this match. I'm sure over the years the good calls have evened out the bad for rock as for everyone else. My point was that a school like gonzaga doesn't get that many opportunites to beat a school like rock, and one went begging on Sunday cos the ref had a nightmare. I wasn't accusing the ref of favouring rock, or indeed how many bad decisions rock have no doubt had over the years. There's no need for your sarcasm.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Spraggs wrote:
cud wrote:
Paulie Walnuts wrote:I was at the game and the Zagas boys were so unlucky not to get a draw as a minimum. At least Zaga always play in the true corinthian and amateur spirit that should be what schools rugby is all about. On the other hand, for Rock, it seems to be win at all costs. That approach comes right from the top as evidenced by their unabashed poaching of star players from less powerful schools which they've been at for many years. This kind of greedy activity will limit success to a small elite which ain't in the interests of schools rugby and rugby in Leinster in general.
Who have they nicked this year?

I was'nt at the game, but from all the reports, I've heard the ref robbed Zaga blind. I may be wrong but O'Sullivan in the IT is an ex Rock boy, and he was pretty scathing. Really ,really dissapointing. We've had a pretty good few years. Two finals in the juniors and one semi, coupled with some strong senior sides. League wins too. Even so, opportunities like Sunday don't come along for a school Zaga's size very often.
Justin Wright Harris[/b], the number 8, was poached from Pres Bray.

considering the hype over the "poaching" on this MB i thought he was an average (and overweight) player, he looked for contact more often than not and wasnt able to offload when he took a tackle

Overall it seems a very average rock side, even michaels might be able to beat them

And beanie the point is rock did bow to the pressure, as hippo says. They could easily have two guys in the bin, both second rows which would have made lineout time even richer pickings for gonzaga
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

Hippo wrote:The only minor consolation is that someone is going to murder Rock sooner or later.
That doesn't console me in the least. I would have believed that Zaga could havea beaten any of the big 6 on their day, and am seriously pissed off that we were robbed at the first hurdle.
beanie wrote:how come everyone wasn't up in arms and criticising himafter the final last year when the penalty count against rock was 16-1 in the second half.
And Rock thuroughly deserved all thos penalties and then some for their cynical play on the ground and around the park. Where were the yellow cards for the trip and the shoulder charge? Ex rock boys can say what they like about the game panning out in the end and the ref not having too much of a say about the result, but that's utter cr@p, and you know it. Zaga were royally shafted and all of those I know from Rock have agreed. p1$$ off.
Spraggs
Bookworm

Post by Spraggs »

tate wrote:
Spraggs wrote:
cud wrote: Who have they nicked this year?

Justin Wright Harris[/b], the number 8, was poached from Pres Bray.

considering the hype over the "poaching" on this MB i thought he was an average (and overweight) player, he looked for contact more often than not and wasnt able to offload when he took a tackle

Overall it seems a very average rock side, even michaels might be able to beat them

And beanie the point is rock did bow to the pressure, as hippo says. They could easily have two guys in the bin, both second rows which would have made lineout time even richer pickings for gonzaga

He was pretty formidable before now, and is still on Ireland u19s.
the doof
Beginner

Post by the doof »

blackrock qualified for their first leinster schools cup final of the year today.

the soccer senior cup final, beat greenhills 5-0 in the semis.

suppose you lads will reckon we signed ronaldinho or something!

fu(k the begrudgers, rock abu
The House
Beginner

Post by The House »

the doof wrote:blackrock qualified for their first leinster schools cup final of the year today.

How unsavoury.

I thought Wright-Harris would be taller than he is. He just looked like a tubby average size 17 year old. Of course, those skin tight Blackrock jerseys did him no favours.
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

the doof wrote:blackrock qualified for their first leinster schools cup final of the year today.

suppose you lads will reckon we signed ronaldinho or something!

fu(k the begrudgers, rock abu
Not begrudging that, people just seem to be stating the obvious fact that a very promising international school boy joined rock in his last year.

Anyway, regardless of this, it seems like Zaga should have won the game.