Help

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Help

Post by Dave Cahill »

Could someone post up an outline of the tournament structure for those of us who didn't go to a bastion of elitist snobbe....oops, sorry Duff :P ...a school that played rugby. I see things about the SCT and the JCT, which is fair enough, but theres Vinny Murray this and Fr Godfrey that. I don't understand how it all fits together.
Thanks in advance
I have Bumbleflex
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

IIRC Vinny Murphy Cup is for schools that are not up to full SCT standard, Tournment of it's own with the winners being entered in the first round proper of the full SCT. open to correction, been a while since school.. actually i'm on my 21st year reunion this april... :cry:
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/members/ind ... docID=1436

The 4 semi finalists of the Vinny Murray cup go in to the senior cup proper. It was revamped a few years ago from section A and section B. Now, 'non-traditional rugby schools' can actually win a trophy, and still qualify for the cup proper.

Fr Godfry is the Vinny Murray to the Junior Cup.
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

So, what about the community schools etc that aren't, shall we say, great "rugby schools" or have only introduced rugby in the last few years?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Leinster Lady wrote:So, what about the community schools etc that aren't, shall we say, great "rugby schools" or have only introduced rugby in the last few years?
They're in section A and the semi finalists from their Cups get into the Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

Leinster Lady wrote:So, what about the community schools etc that aren't, shall we say, great "rugby schools" or have only introduced rugby in the last few years?

What are they?
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

thecoolfreak wrote:
They're in section A and the semi finalists from their Cups get into the Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups
Ok, so, just let me check if I've got this right.... The community schools etc are in Section A, the semi-finalists of Section A get into the Vinnie Murray cup and the semi-finalists of that get into the Schools Cup?

So, technically my old school *could* end up playing the likes of Blackrock and maybe even win the Schools Cup?

Or have I got it all wrong?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Leinster Lady wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
Ok, so, just let me check if I've got this right.... The community schools etc are in Section A, the semi-finalists of Section A get into the Vinnie Murray cup and the semi-finalists of that get into the Schools Cup?

So, technically my old school *could* end up playing the likes of Blackrock and maybe even win the Schools Cup?

You're spot on!
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Leinster Lady wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote: They're in section A and the semi finalists from their Cups get into the Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups

You're spot on!
Excellent, cheers for clearing all that up for me, was confused for a while :-)
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

This looks like a fun confusing section so let me try and confuse you more!

Section C (Also known as the Premier section) is made up of 16 teams. These include the "Big Six" (Blackrock, Belvedere, Terenure, Clongowes, St. Mary's and St. Michael's). It also includes Castleknock for some reason. These 7 schools are not entered into the Leinster League competitions.
Off other nine schools, 4 are the 4 semi-finalists in the league, 1 is the 5th best school in the league and the remaining 4 come from the 4 semi-finalists in Section B.

Section B contains all the remaining teams that did not qualify from the league and 4 semi finalists from Section A. This is supposed to add up to 16 schools but it is dependent on how many schools entered the league (this can change from year to year based on schools strength e.g. Skerries C.C. would not normally be in the league but put their Juniors in this year because they were very strong. They did not enter their Seniors)

Section A (also known as the Development Section) is also usually made up of 16 schools. It can include any school. Your place is is dependent on your strength again. Theoretically you can start here and end up in Section C e.g. CBS Naas started in Section A of the Junior Cup and have now reached the semi-final of Section B so they have achieved entrance into Section C.

They should run a Graduate course based on the running of schools rugby!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

RobbieRockBoy wrote:IIRC Vinny Murphy Cup is for schools that are not up to full SCT standard,
CBC aren't up to "full" standard then, no? :roll:

Durkah - excellent explanantion. The Vinny Murray cup is a brilliant idea and really gives the minnows something to aim for. I know it's been won by CBC twice and was it Wesley or the Hos last year but the semi finalists get through to the SCT proper and then they have a decent chance of silverware instead of that useless shield they had back in my day.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Thanks folks, thats helped clear it up, appreciate it.

Leinster Lady, Tullow have buckleys!
I have Bumbleflex
Muriel
Seán Cronin

Post by Muriel »

Dave Cahill wrote:Thanks folks, thats helped clear it up, appreciate it.

Leinster Lady, Tullow have buckleys!
You didn't go to a posh rugby playing school like I did :-P
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

King's Hos won it. That shield/plate still exists! It's to look after teams that have been knocked out of the first round of section B and C. It's a mad busy time of year for schools rugby.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Guess that gives me a reason to celebrate - they're my local rugby playing school. :wink: