Carlow and the AIL

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

epaddy
Shane Horgan

Carlow and the AIL

Post by epaddy »

Does anyone remeber the story behind carlow getting into the AIL. From my memory it was dubious to say the least, but cant remeber the backround to it
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
katz
Beginner

Re: Carlow and the AIL

Post by katz »

epaddy wrote:Does anyone remeber the story behind carlow getting into the AIL. From my memory it was dubious to say the least, but cant remeber the backround to it
Remember hearing a few stories about Carlow alright.

Doesn't look like they'll last much longer in AIL Div 1 going on this years results - Pity.

Leinster is dominated by Junior clubs outside Dublin - I think it would be huge loss to the provience to loose Carlow from Division 1.
Although saying that it might be just what the need - a year in Div 2 to reset and get on top (but Div 2 is an extremely difficult league)
Maybe the round robin will provide us with the oppertunity to have another Junior club promote to Div 3.
The Girvanator
Beginner

Post by The Girvanator »

katz wrote:
epaddy wrote:Does anyone remeber the story behind carlow getting into the AIL. From my memory it was dubious to say the least, but cant remeber the backround to it

Doesn't look like they'll last much longer in AIL Div 1 going on this years results - Pity.

Leinster is dominated by Junior clubs outside Dublin - I think it would be huge loss to the provience to loose Carlow from Division 1.
Although saying that it might be just what the need - a year in Div 2 to reset and get on top (but Div 2 is an extremely difficult league)
Maybe the round robin will provide us with the oppertunity to have another Junior club promote to Div 3.
I don't think we'll be back in Div 1 straight away anyway. We've gone totally amateur and dumping every single foreign player for local talent. Not sure if it will improve the quality of our play at all. :cry:
katz
Beginner

Post by katz »

The Girvanator wrote:
katz wrote:

I don't think we'll be back in Div 1 straight away anyway. We've gone totally amateur and dumping every single foreign player for local talent. Not sure if it will improve the quality of our play at all. :cry:
Fair play... alot of senior clubs are struggling in div2 and 3 to keep up with paying players - it's not easy. Ye have fantastic grounds there and a club house that alot of senior clubs would give their right arm for ... it's a good starting block. bring it back into the local stream... fair play
The Girvanator
Beginner

Post by The Girvanator »

I live literally right beside it and the county GAA grounds. GAA grounds, although bigger, pales in comparison. I'm not sure if we'll ever be a Junior club but there's a lot of people in the club who never wanted Carlow to be a senior team.
katz
Beginner

Post by katz »

The Girvanator wrote:I live literally right beside it and the county GAA grounds. GAA grounds, although bigger, pales in comparison. I'm not sure if we'll ever be a Junior club but there's a lot of people in the club who never wanted Carlow to be a senior team.
Well, I can't see ye ever being Junior - that would probably break the club completely - better off in div2, give the home grown lads, that have been bench warming the last few years, a run... you never know!
Ye should have a massive amount of players up there with the college and everything....
The Girvanator
Beginner

Post by The Girvanator »

katz wrote:
The Girvanator wrote:I live literally right beside it and the county GAA grounds. GAA grounds, although bigger, pales in comparison. I'm not sure if we'll ever be a Junior club but there's a lot of people in the club who never wanted Carlow to be a senior team.
Well, I can't see ye ever being Junior - that would probably break the club completely - better off in div2, give the home grown lads, that have been bench warming the last few years, a run... you never know!
Ye should have a massive amount of players up there with the college and everything....
The IT? Feck all people play there, and the ones that do, normally have grown up playing for Carlow. If you look at us going up to U-18s, we'd be fairly good, we won Leinster a few times. Then in U-20s when they play the likes of the feeder schools clubs, who often have 2 teams, they often get whooped. If we're serious about staying up, I think the Leinster Branch will need to promote rugby in schools around here. For example, in this region of the South-East, I think there is only one Youth Development Officer.
katz
Beginner

Post by katz »

The Girvanator wrote:
katz wrote:
The IT? Feck all people play there, and the ones that do, normally have grown up playing for Carlow. If you look at us going up to U-18s, we'd be fairly good, we won Leinster a few times. Then in U-20s when they play the likes of the feeder schools clubs, who often have 2 teams, they often get whooped. If we're serious about staying up, I think the Leinster Branch will need to promote rugby in schools around here. For example, in this region of the South-East, I think there is only one Youth Development Officer.
Correct me if I'm wrong but is there not a YDO in Kilkenny?? There used to be anyway...
The Girvanator
Beginner

Post by The Girvanator »

There could well be, but as far as I know, there's only one that serves Kildare, Carlow, and Wexford I think.
katz
Beginner

Post by katz »

The Girvanator wrote:There could well be, but as far as I know, there's only one that serves Kildare, Carlow, and Wexford I think.
Oh, didn't know that.

Obv from what your saying, ye have a very strong and sucessful youths section in the club.

I think alot of club forget that after the most senior team in the club the U20's are the most important - they are the one's you wanna hang onto but they are usually the ones that leave and go to other clubs to progress.

Maybe the club should look at that and try to change the training or coaching etc. with the U20 side. Now that the Senior team is div2 maybe they should intergrate the U20's into their training nights that way the U20's will be playing and training at a higher level.

Think some clubs feel they are still kids and will get injured but I don't agree - you see the size of the young lads playing today - they are only mad to get into it and if they train hard and deserve a place on the senior squad - so be it... it's all about progressing players too and holding on to them.
The Girvanator
Beginner

Post by The Girvanator »

katz wrote:
The Girvanator wrote:There could well be, but as far as I know, there's only one that serves Kildare, Carlow, and Wexford I think.
Oh, didn't know that.

Obv from what your saying, ye have a very strong and sucessful youths section in the club.

I think alot of club forget that after the most senior team in the club the U20's are the most important - they are the one's you wanna hang onto but they are usually the ones that leave and go to other clubs to progress.

Maybe the club should look at that and try to change the training or coaching etc. with the U20 side. Now that the Senior team is div2 maybe they should intergrate the U20's into their training nights that way the U20's will be playing and training at a higher level.

Think some clubs feel they are still kids and will get injured but I don't agree - you see the size of the young lads playing today - they are only mad to get into it and if they train hard and deserve a place on the senior squad - so be it... it's all about progressing players too and holding on to them.
I'd definately agree with that. There's a few who on the U-20s who've played senior this year. But the senior team do train with the J1s so it could be too big a group to be coaching if they were all lumped in together.
katz
Beginner

Post by katz »

Yeah, I know what you mean. But maybe they could look at just scrummaging sessions or line out practice or something - just to keep the younger lads interested.... if they are home grown lads they'll still aspire to play for their senior team. :)