clongowes v terenure

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

true blue 06
Mullet

clongowes v terenure

Post by true blue 06 »

todays leinster schools cup semi final has been postponed. it will be played tomorrow in donnybrook.
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
T.C.B.
Seán Cronin

Post by T.C.B. »

Leinster Schools semis are postponed

04/03/2007
The Leinster Schools Senior Challenge Cup semi-final scheduled for Sunday between Clongowes Wood College SJ v Terenure College has been postponed until Monday due to a waterlogged pitch.

The two semi-finals will take place this Monday and Tuesday in Donnybrook.

Monday, March 5:
Clongowes Wood College SJ v Terenure College (Donnybrook, KO: 3pm)

Tuesday, March 6:
St Michael's College v Kilkenny College (Donnybrook, KO: 3pm)
"It's all fun and games 'till someone loses an eye, then it's just fun you can't see" - James Hetfield
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

While I am a firm believer in using DB for schools matches - this decision is idiotic - a pitch like DB that was waterlogged today and that has had so much rain on it over the last 24 hours will not survive 2 SCT S/F games. Regardless of the preparation that they will do i=on the pitch it will turn into sh!t.

Belvo, St Marys & the gick all satisfy conditions to hold school games, such as barriers, parking and access where a charging structure can be implemented.

While there will obviously be another inspection in the morning, the branch should move these games to another venue.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

I think it's a farce that the games are to be played at Donnybrook! :evil:

The pitch is in an awful state as it is, and Leinster need this pitch for the home games against Connacht and the Border Reivers, and we need 5 pointers from both!

And as seen against Edinburgh last month, with a cr@p pitch, Leinster aren't gonna get 4 try's by just using there forwards, we need a running game which, quite frankly, is impossible if the pitch is any worse than it is at the moment! :(
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

every other yr these games wud hav been played in landsdowne during the 6 nations was never complaints

they attract to many to be played in a smaller venue

the final is all ticket this yr shows the demand
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

future international wrote:every other year these games would have been played in landsdowne during the 6 nations was never complaints

the final is all ticket this year shows the demand
It has absolutely got nothing to do with that - LR is not played upon up to three times a week during the "rainy season" so your argument holds no water (unlike Donnybrook, which unfortunately holds too much of it.). LR is also not available, so the branch have to accept reduced capacity whatever - Templelville Rd is well capable of holding acceptable numbers on a ticket only basis. the branch have has to bite the bullet this year and accept less revenue from the games, this would just be part of the lost revenue.

That the final is all ticket does not show the demand :? The final is all ticket because the ground where it is being played holds less than a third that traditionally attends this game.

Anyway when Kilkenny win tomorrow it will be like Perpingnon playing a final in LR - plenty of capacity then.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Slipper1 wrote:
future international wrote:every other year these games would have been played in landsdowne during the 6 nations was never complaints

the final is all ticket this year shows the demand
It has absolutely got nothing to do with that - LR is not played upon up to three times a week during the "rainy season" so your argument holds no water (unlike Donnybrook, which unfortunately holds too much of it.). LR is also not available, so the branch have to accept reduced capacity whatever - Templelville Rd is well capable of holding acceptable numbers on a ticket only basis. the branch have has to bite the bullet this year and accept less revenue from the games, this would just be part of the lost revenue.

That the final is all ticket does not show the demand :? The final is all ticket because the ground where it is being played holds less than a third that traditionally attends this game.

Anyway when Kilkenny win tomorrow it will be like Perpingnon playing a final in LR - plenty of capacity then.
That doesn't make any sense! Of course the fact that the final is an all ticket affair shows the demand :!: How else does one gauge demand? Yeah, granted supply is down, but point still stands that demand is high in the present climate
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

OK, lets play the final in my back garden, there is room for 5 spectators so lets make it all ticket. - if there were 6 people wanting to attend but only 5 get in, does that indicate a great demand to attend?

My point may have been badly written or misinterpreted :wink: Future international pointed out that the reason for the "all ticket" affair is because of demand, which is untrue; the reason for the all ticket game is because the venue is smaller than previous outings.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Slipper, one of the things we have to accept that Schools Rugby, is and will forever be more popular than the Magners League. Professional Rugby, played by world stars is not where it's at. It took me a long time to realise this and it caused me great upset during what I now refer to my dark and unenlightened times. I think that the matches should be played at DB, when and only when it's safe for the young fellas to run around.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Uncle Mort wrote:Slipper, one of the things we have to accept that Schools Rugby, is and will forever be more popular than the Magners League. Professional Rugby, played by world stars is not where it's at. It took me a long time to realise this and it caused me great upset during what I now refer to my dark and unenlightened times. I think that the matches should be played at DB, when and only when it's safe for the young fellas to run around.
Well in fairness, rather than dismissing it we could look at it and try to learn. I played schools rugby and never really understood why people came out to watch kids playing, but they do and they do in numbers.

There are 1000's of kids (and parents) out there who show up year after year, who grew up on rugby. These guys should be a fertile audience for Leinster's marketing efforts because they are far easier to convert than people who are currently GAA or soccer fans (for example).
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

No, I want them in my back garden.
Get in the f%~king bag.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Slipper1 wrote:No, I want them in my back garden.
I'll take 5 tickets
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

sarah_lennon wrote:
I'll take 5 tickets
What a success - Sold Out already!
Get in the f%~king bag.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Slipper1 wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:
I'll take 5 tickets
What a success - Sold Out already!
If you see them on sale on eBay, you know who to blame ;)
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Slipper1 wrote:OK, lets play the final in my back garden, there is room for 5 spectators so lets make it all ticket. - if there were 6 people wanting to attend but only 5 get in, does that indicate a great demand to attend?

My point may have been badly written or misinterpreted :wink: Future international pointed out that the reason for the "all ticket" affair is because of demand, which is untrue; the reason for the all ticket game is because the venue is smaller than previous outings.
Demand is higher than supply, thus the event has a high demand.
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Darce wrote:
Slipper1 wrote:OK, lets play the final in my back garden, there is room for 5 spectators so lets make it all ticket. - if there were 6 people wanting to attend but only 5 get in, does that indicate a great demand to attend?

Demand is higher than supply, thus the event has a high demand.
Supply is lower than demand, therefore the event has a low supply.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Five pounds for an argument anybody? :wink:
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Flash Gordon wrote:Five pounds for an argument anybody? :wink:
Cant be worth any more than 3 quid
Get in the f%~king bag.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Slipper1 wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:Five pounds for an argument anybody? :wink:
Cant be worth any more than 3 quid
yes it can.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Uncle Mort wrote:Slipper, one of the things we have to accept that Schools Rugby, is and will forever be more popular than the Magners League. Professional Rugby, played by world stars is not where it's at. It took me a long time to realise this and it caused me great upset during what I now refer to my dark and unenlightened times. I think that the matches should be played at DB, when and only when it's safe for the young fellas to run around.

Thanks for that mort. Invaluable stuff again. You might not like Schools Rugby playing on Leinsters Pitch, but the fact of the matter is Schools teams have been as big a draw as the Leinster team and in cases of later stages of the competition, a bigger draw than Leinster. This is a money spinner for the branch. Always has, always will. So its time to get over yourself tbh. The branch have made strides to take games off the DB surface and are continuing to do so. But there are simply some games which require the capacity of DB. Thats a fact of life
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on