Michael's Senior Cup

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Ryan_89 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Despite what has been erroneously reported on other sites, it didn't collapse. It was deliberately broken by what can only be described as louts and hooligans.
There.
You didnt call Michaels past pupils "louts and hooligans" directly, but you certainly did imply it!

grabbing at straws there my friend
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ryan_89 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:Despite what has been erroneously reported on other sites, it didn't collapse. It was deliberately broken by what can only be described as louts and hooligans.
There.
You didnt call Michaels past pupils "louts and hooligans" directly, but you certainly did imply it!
Dave Cahill wrote:
El Diablo wrote:
jrc wrote: Sell-out. 6,700
What happened over on the east terrace where the Clongowes fans were gathered? Did a crash barrier collapse? Did anyone see how it happened?
Despite what has been erroneously reported on other sites, it didn't collapse. It was deliberately broken by what can only be described as louts and hooligans.
Theres the full quote. Now if anyone wanted to take umbrage I assume the CWC folks would because they are at least mentioned in the quote (and not by me I hope you notice). But even that would be grasping at straws.

I didn't state or imply where any of the boors who broke the barrier were from. I eagerly await your apology.
I have Bumbleflex
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Here you go lads, the video montage you've all been waiting for. I love the cut shots to the Rock team for the "no time for losers" part - they didn't even play rock in the cup this year :lol:

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashV ... =394580022
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Duff Paddy wrote:
harryp wrote:
A great competition, but that's it, 1 competition covering a couple of hundred players out of '000's playing at the same age level throughout the country.
nah. It's the highest standard rugby you'll see at that age group and it's a thrilling competition with support that would make any pro ML team envious. Your point is akin to suggesting that the J4 league should hold the same importance as the Magner's League.
I'm afraid the only thing I can agree with you on is the support. The rest, forget it. You can't honestly believe that the standard of players and quality of teams in the LSC is so vastly superior to that in the USC, or the MSC, or the Culliton Cup or in any other club competirion???
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

harryp wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
harryp wrote:
A great competition, but that's it, 1 competition covering a couple of hundred players out of '000's playing at the same age level throughout the country.
nah. It's the highest standard rugby you'll see at that age group and it's a thrilling competition with support that would make any pro ML team envious. Your point is akin to suggesting that the J4 league should hold the same importance as the Magner's League.
I'm afraid the only thing I can agree with you on is the support. The rest, forget it. You can't honestly believe that the standard of players and quality of teams in the LSC is so vastly superior to that in the USC, or the MSC, or the Culliton Cup or in any other club competirion???
I actually thought the standard of rugby in the USC Cup final was much better than anything i've seen in Leinster.

Around major problem i have with the Leinster Senior Cup is the obvious use of supplements by players. The difference in the size of the players in the Ulster Senior Cup final and the Leinster final was quite surprising. Its a very worrying trend and will no doubt cause health problems to those involved down the line. The only team in Leinster that i have heard come and ands say that they don't take anything is Mary's and there was a big difference in the size if their team and others like Michael's and Rock
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

thecoolfreak wrote:Its a very worrying trend and will no doubt cause health problems to those involved down the line.
What are you basing this on? Supplements are part and parcel of the life of an elite level athlete or sportsman. Used in the right way, with the guidance of good coaches, there is absolutely nothing wrong with supplementing your diet.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Duff Paddy wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:Its a very worrying trend and will no doubt cause health problems to those involved down the line.
What are you basing this on? Supplements are part and parcel of the life of an elite level athlete or sportsman. Used in the right way, with the guidance of good coaches, there is absolutely nothing wrong with supplementing your diet.
There was a top consultant on the radio a few months back talking about the damage excess protein is doing to young peoples kidneys. On top of that the dangers of creatine to under 18's are well known annd any sensible doctor or dietian would not reccomend them to under 20's

You're right that there is nothing wrong with supplemets when used by adults but these are 16/17 year olds.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

I do not know specifically about creatine use these days at schools levels but I gather that they are mostly using protein diet supplements and possibly other supplements like amino acids. Considering the kind of training these guys are doing, on top of their school day, I'd say that diet supplementation is absolutely appropriate.

Regarding the consultant on the radio - a nephrologist I take it? Did you get the name? I haven't seen any convincing study on the possibility that a high protein diet can damage the kidneys of young men - unless of course they have underlying co-morbidities like diabetes.
Ryan_89
Knowledgeable

Post by Ryan_89 »

[quote="Duff Paddy"]I do not know specifically about creatine use these days at schools levels but I gather that they are mostly using protein diet supplements and possibly other supplements like amino acids. Considering the kind of training these guys are doing, on top of their school day, I'd say that diet supplementation is absolutely appropriate.

Regarding the consultant on the radio - a nephrologist I take it? Did you get the name? I haven't seen any convincing study on the possibility that a high protein diet can damage the kidneys of young men - unless of course they have underlying co-morbidities like diabetes.[/quote]

High protein levels in your blood can damage your kidneys, but, even then its only if you take well over the recommended dose does the protein reach those dangerous levels.
Ryan_89
Knowledgeable

Post by Ryan_89 »

[quote="Duff Paddy"]Here you go lads, the video montage you've all been waiting for. I love the cut shots to the Rock team for the "no time for losers" part - they didn't even play rock in the cup this year :lol:

[url]http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashV ... =394580022[/url][/quote]

I thought it was very poor form that they added the Rock part into it!!! but its still a great a montage
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Duff Paddy wrote:I do not know specifically about creatine use these days at schools levels but I gather that they are mostly using protein diet supplements and possibly other supplements like amino acids. Considering the kind of training these guys are doing, on top of their school day, I'd say that diet supplementation is absolutely appropriate.

Regarding the consultant on the radio - a nephrologist I take it? Did you get the name? I haven't seen any convincing study on the possibility that a high protein diet can damage the kidneys of young men - unless of course they have underlying co-morbidities like diabetes.
Forget his name it was a few months ago!!
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

The Sunday Indo wrote:The Junior Cup rugby final between St Michael's and Blackrock College at Donnybrook today will now kick off at one o'clock as a result of several incidents at last week's Senior Cup match, which raised concerns by the Health and Safety Authority. Stewards confiscated a substantial amount of drink prior to the match. A perimeter barrier at the ground also collapsed.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

jrc wrote:
The Sunday Indo wrote:The Junior Cup rugby final between St Michael's and Blackrock College at Donnybrook today will now kick off at one o'clock as a result of several incidents at last week's Senior Cup match, which raised concerns by the Health and Safety Authority. Stewards confiscated a substantial amount of drink prior to the match. A perimeter barrier at the ground also collapsed.
That article is quite shocking. It points out a lot of what is wrong with society though!
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

thecoolfreak wrote:
jrc wrote:
That article is quite shocking. It points out a lot of what is wrong with society though!
That article is a piece of cr@p in a total rag of a newspaper. It's a tabloid in broadsheet form. The only reason I read it occasionally is because it's free on the net!!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

jrc wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
jrc wrote:
That article is a piece of cr@p in a total rag of a newspaper. It's a tabloid in broadsheet form. The only reason I read it occasionally is because it's free on the net!!
So what do you think of teenage drinking? Not much of a problem to society?!!
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

thecoolfreak wrote: So what do you think of teenage drinking? Not much of a problem to society?!!
for the love of christ tcf, me and 99% of the fellas on here had a few drinks as teenagers, sometimes when on a school trip or at a match. It's hardly a massive threat to our society if a 15year old kid wants to be a rebel and have a drink at a match.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

thecoolfreak wrote:
jrc wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote: That article is quite shocking. It points out a lot of what is wrong with society though!
I didn't say that, I said I thought that article was cr@p. The Sunday Indo loves having a dig at 'the fee-paying rugby schools' and 'the affluent set'. It sells papers I suppose. Do you think the under-age drinking and violence is a bigger problem in the fee-paying rugby schools than it is in non fee-paying gaa schools?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

jrc wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
jrc wrote: That article is a piece of cr@p in a total rag of a newspaper. It's a tabloid in broadsheet form. The only reason I read it occasionally is because it's free on the net!!
I didn't say that, I said I thought that article was cr@p. The Sunday Indo loves having a dig at 'the fee-paying rugby schools' and 'the affluent set'. It sells papers I suppose. Do you think the under-age drinking and violence is a bigger problem in the fee-paying rugby schools than it is in non fee-paying gaa schools?
I agree with you on this. As you say the article is based solely on the problems with fee paying schools and not with the same problems in non fee paying schools.

However the article does touch on the rivalry between some of the rugby playing schools and the fact that this can get overboard which you don't see happening with GAA playing schools. The rivalry between some rugby playing schools seems to go way OTT.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Lampshade wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
Ryan_89 wrote:I have never been so happy in my entire life!!!!!!WE finally won the cup.
The branch better hurry up and sign CLeary before he signs for Harlequins.
He's nothing spectacular. Kearney is a much better player

No no no -he's not
Conor Cleary - very average from what we've seen in the u-19 RWC. Will be suprised if he holds his place for the next game. Full pro contract...??

Yeah right... Nexxxxxtttttttt :lol: :lol:
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Ryan_89
Knowledgeable

Post by Ryan_89 »

[quote="Sea_point"][quote="Lampshade"][quote="thecoolfreak"][quote="Ryan_89"]I have never been so happy in my entire life!!!!!!WE finally won the cup.
The branch better hurry up and sign CLeary before he signs for Harlequins.[/quote]

He's nothing spectacular. Kearney is a much better player[/quote]

No no no -he's not[/quote]

Conor Cleary - very average from what we've seen in the u-19 RWC. Will be suprised if he holds his place for the next game. Full pro contract...??

Yeah right... Nexxxxxtttttttt :lol: :lol:[/quote]

sorry his defence has been superb. Anuway he is coming up against bigger and much more experienced, he hasnt been playing badly considering he is still in school!!!!(in my impartial opinion)