Is this site anti Club?

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Donny B. wrote: I think LM's comments sum up the crux of the issue. It's an argument about international tickets. LM clearly feels that people who are regular provincial supporters but who are un-attached to clubs are worthless bandwagon-jumpers. This is not an isolated opinion either. If there is an anti-club attitude on this site, I think it's largely generated by this dismissive attitude among certain posters.

No not at all Donny. I don't consider them "bandwagon jumpers". If they wish to have Leinster as their sole team, that's entirely up to them. I have no problem with that. It's the gross generalizations made by some people who seem to like to lump all clubs into the one bucket that annoy me. They make sweeping statements about clubs flogging off tickets and then wonder wh ythey don't get tickets themselves.
Anyhoo - I can see this going down a familiar road. We can discuss it (for the umpteenth time) on Friday.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Donny B. wrote:As a member of Tallaght RFC, I'm certainly more than supportive of community clubs that are thriving at the moment. I'm less sympathetic towards the bigger clubs who pay players and coaches and then plead the poor-mouth and insist they have to flog their international tickets to the corporate sector to survive.
If you read my initial post you'll find I was pretty much saying the same things.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Donny B. wrote:
Leinsterman wrote: However, there's quite a few people here who lump all the clubs together and fail to differentiate between them. They are quick to shoot down all clubs and seem to fail to appreciate the mountains of work put in by volunteers who give up a lot of their time. They accuse all clubs of touting off international temas and feel aggrieved that because they have the luxury of turning up and watching international standard players a few times a season that they should be entitled to Ireland tickets.

They see Leinster as their "club" and that's it.... nothing else matters to them. Rugby may be a professional business now but there's still thousands of people out there who want to play every week and without the club structure this would not be possible.
I think LM's comments sum up the crux of the issue. It's an argument about international tickets. LM clearly feels that people who are regular provincial supporters but who are un-attached to clubs are worthless bandwagon-jumpers. This is not an isolated opinion either. If there is an anti-club attitude on this site, I think it's largely generated by this dismissive attitude among certain posters.

I've recently become a member of a club, but I wouldn't look down on regular fans who put their time and money into supporting Leinster as "lesser" fans. For the most part of the ten years I've been supporting Leinster, I've been one of those non-affiliated fans. I've spent a lot of time and money supporting Leinster, especially in the days when there was two men and a dog there and I don't accept that not having a club tie makes me a second class citizen. I don't feel that this entitles me to an international ticket, but I'd like to have some chance.

I know a lot of people who are involved in club rugby in the province that don't give a toss about Leinster. That's fine, that's their choice. But equally, people who want to support Leinster without joining a club are making their own choice. Leinster, and all the provinces, have brought more people into rugby in the last ten years from non-traditional rugby areas. Hell, I'm one of them!

As a member of Tallaght RFC, I'm certainly more than supportive of community clubs that are thriving at the moment. I'm less sympathetic towards the bigger clubs who pay players and coaches and then plead the poor-mouth and insist they have to flog their international tickets to the corporate sector to survive.

Posters who continue to dismiss non-affiliated fans as "lesser" rugby supporters damage the reputation of the club game. Personally I think there's room for everyone. The provinces to bring people in and get them interested, then the amateur clubs to maybe get some new members who want to play/get involved. Hell I'm one of them as well!
Sums it up perfectly. :happy clapper:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leinsterman wrote:
Donny B. wrote: I think LM's comments sum up the crux of the issue. It's an argument about international tickets. LM clearly feels that people who are regular provincial supporters but who are un-attached to clubs are worthless bandwagon-jumpers. This is not an isolated opinion either. If there is an anti-club attitude on this site, I think it's largely generated by this dismissive attitude among certain posters.

No not at all Donny. I don't consider them "bandwagon jumpers". If they wish to have Leinster as their sole team, that's entirely up to them. I have no problem with that. It's the gross generalizations made by some people who seem to like to lump all clubs into the one bucket that annoy me. They make sweeping statements about clubs flogging off tickets and then wonder wh ythey don't get tickets themselves.
Anyhoo - I can see this going down a familiar road. We can discuss it (for the umpteenth time) on Friday.
Okay fair enough LM, but some people on this board do have that attitude to non club-affiliated fans. Then admittedly some fans will hit back with rants against all "clubs" which, as you say, tars them all with the one brush. Arrogance breeds ignorance and it ends up in a big sh*t-fight.

Anyway we can discuss it on Friday on the Lansdowne Hotel. I'll even buy you a pint (between 6.00 & 9.40 of course :lol: :wink: ).
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

off-topic banter split to http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=6035 to allow on-topic conversation to continue...
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Donny B. wrote: Anyway we can discuss it on Friday on the Lansdowne Hotel. I'll even buy you a pint (between 6.00 & 9.40 of course :lol: :wink: ).
Good stuff - Donny Deep-pockets
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Leinsterman wrote:
Donny B. wrote: Anyway we can discuss it on Friday on the Lansdowne Hotel. I'll even buy you a pint (between 6.00 & 9.40 of course :lol: :wink: ).
Good stuff - Donny Deep-pockets
Shush on the banter!

Or Herr Limecat will banish us to the forbidden zone

http://forum.leinsterfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=6035

And nobody wants to end up there! :? :? :wink:
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

Re Schools, I think the structure needs to be revamped to have a competitive season rather than simply a cup run. I also think the Schools & Underage systems need to be integrated rather than 1 act as a feeder to the other as with the exception of Blackrock, the likes of Navan, Naas, Dundalk, Tullamore, Barnhall, Boyne, Clondalkin etc etc are as competitive as their schools counterparts. IMO the reason for a fall off in Schools players stems from the Schools not feeding into an U20 structure coupled with the sheer intensity of schools rugby becoming a let down after school.

Re Playing Numbers. I don't believe that they are falling throughout the country, perhaps in traditional Dublin Clubs, but not in the majority of Junior Clubs.

Have to agree with Groundhog re success of Junior Rugby & re AIL. Junior rugby is going from strength to strength right now. Wrt the AIL, with the exception of Clontarf the Dublin Clubs haven't stepped up. Blackrock & Mary's are reasonably competitive, but that is pretty much it. Carlow made a bit of a balls of things by all accounts, but Buccs despite relegation this season have done very in Senior Rugby from small beginnings. To scrap the AIL IMO would be a disaster as there are 3 competitive Limerick sides, Cork Con & Galwegians who are all thriving. To scrap the AIL would lead to these Clubs having no competitive leagues to play in. Some sort of Super League structure is required with a regional conference required for Clubs below this.

The current AIL U20 system is a major success. AFAIK there are 36 clubs playing across 3 conferences culminating in a regional knockout based on League position, followed by a final 8 going into the AIL QF's. The standard of rugby is very high and the vast majority of these clubs operate some sort of Academy system. UCC were successful this year, beating Blackrock in the final, who were by all accounts the weaker of the 3 Dublin Clubs to qualify. Mary's were tipped, and beat TCD in the QF only to be outdone by UL. But again you have to wonder why the Dublin Clubs aren't more competitive at this level given the number of students in the city compared to those in Cork or Limerick?

The bizarre thing about the U20's system is IMHO it just shows that there is little or no difference between Club Rugby & Schools rugby at underage level. Every player starts with a clean slate, no reputatons and it certainly is an eye opening experience. IMO, the U20 structure should be brought down an age level to U18 and integrated into the Schools system. Would create a balanced & level playing field for 48 teams in the country from which players can develop and gain recognition at a competitive level.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

RE U20's. It is a savage league to play in. It was a real shock to my system. It was so fast and so physical. But very enjoyable.

As Harry say's regionalisation is an excellent format for the league and i think that Regionalising the AIL would be the way forward, IMO.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

harryp wrote:Re Schools, I think the structure needs to be revamped to have a competitive season rather than simply a cup run. I also think the Schools & Underage systems need to be integrated rather than 1 act as a feeder to the other as with the exception of Blackrock, the likes of Navan, Naas, Dundalk, Tullamore, Barnhall, Boyne, Clondalkin etc etc are as competitive as their schools counterparts. IMO the reason for a fall off in Schools players stems from the Schools not feeding into an U20 structure coupled with the sheer intensity of schools rugby becoming a let down after school.

Re Playing Numbers. I don't believe that they are falling throughout the country, perhaps in traditional Dublin Clubs, but not in the majority of Junior Clubs.

Have to agree with Groundhog re success of Junior Rugby & re AIL. Junior rugby is going from strength to strength right now. Wrt the AIL, with the exception of Clontarf the Dublin Clubs haven't stepped up. Blackrock & Mary's are reasonably competitive, but that is pretty much it. Carlow made a bit of a balls of things by all accounts, but Buccs despite relegation this season have done very in Senior Rugby from small beginnings. To scrap the AIL IMO would be a disaster as there are 3 competitive Limerick sides, Cork Con & Galwegians who are all thriving. To scrap the AIL would lead to these Clubs having no competitive leagues to play in. Some sort of Super League structure is required with a regional conference required for Clubs below this.

The current AIL U20 system is a major success. AFAIK there are 36 clubs playing across 3 conferences culminating in a regional knockout based on League position, followed by a final 8 going into the AIL QF's. The standard of rugby is very high and the vast majority of these clubs operate some sort of Academy system. UCC were successful this year, beating Blackrock in the final, who were by all accounts the weaker of the 3 Dublin Clubs to qualify. Mary's were tipped, and beat TCD in the QF only to be outdone by UL. But again you have to wonder why the Dublin Clubs aren't more competitive at this level given the number of students in the city compared to those in Cork or Limerick?

The bizarre thing about the U20's system is IMHO it just shows that there is little or no difference between Club Rugby & Schools rugby at underage level. Every player starts with a clean slate, no reputatons and it certainly is an eye opening experience. IMO, the U20 structure should be brought down an age level to U18 and integrated into the Schools system. Would create a balanced & level playing field for 48 teams in the country from which players can develop and gain recognition at a competitive level.

Nail on the head, Harry. It's not about club vs. school it's about how they fit into an integrated system.

A club like Greystones is thriving. Just promoted, they have a good mix of local guys and people who joined after leaving Dublin rugby schools. It's a community club, but with good feeder links from the schools. For me this is the model we should be after across the country.

The clubs below the provinces have to be fairly professional. There has to be a stepping stone from rural junior club to province. At the moment that doesn't exist.
Merging the schools with an U-18 club league, both of which filter into a unified U-20 structure is the way forward.

Exclusive Dublin clubs and exclusive Dublin schools are obstacles to the growth of the game in the capital. Shame that's where the traditional power base is.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

jezzer wrote:[The clubs below the provinces have to be fairly professional. There has to be a stepping stone from rural junior club to province. At the moment that doesn't exist.
Merging the schools with an U-18 club league, both of which filter into a unified U-20 structure is the way forward.

What does "fairly professional" mean? Clubs attempting to be professional has resulted in many ending up in the sh!t.

I really can't see how you can integrate schools and clubs at U-18 level when (a) the playing pool to draw from would be the same in both cases and (b) there might well be a wide disparity in ability.
harryp
Rhys Ruddock

Post by harryp »

combatlogo wrote:I really can't see how you can integrate schools and clubs at U-18 level when (a) the playing pool to draw from would be the same in both cases and (b) there might well be a wide disparity in ability.
(a) Players can't be in the same pool as up until the School is knocked out of the SCT the Club has no access to the player.

(b) With the exception of Rock there is very little difference in quality. So no change there then. Reality is Dublin kids play Schools Rugby, Provincial kids play Club Rugby with limited exceptions.
Ladyboys, Ladyboys
Ladyboys oh Ladyboys :wink:
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

combatlogo wrote:
jezzer wrote:[The clubs below the provinces have to be fairly professional. There has to be a stepping stone from rural junior club to province. At the moment that doesn't exist.

What does "fairly professional" mean? Clubs attempting to be professional has resulted in many ending up in the sh!t.

I really can't see how you can integrate schools and clubs at U-18 level when (a) the playing pool to draw from would be the same in both cases and (b) there might well be a wide disparity in ability.
Think Harry answered your point already. But in terms of a "fairly professional" club, I'm referring to a format that could be marketed with sufficient success to allow for a level below the pro provinces which provides a step up from current AIL level.

What that format is is up to debate. I'm not in favour of a "Premiership" break-away league of the top clubs, as there is a heavy Munster presence in the better AIL clubs and so some Dublin/Leinster clubs would not be included on merit.

A provincial format could be good, feeding up to Leinster/Mun/Uls/Conn Club teams which could compete in an 8-team interpro competition with the A sides of the pro provinces - something like that.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

jezzer wrote:
combatlogo wrote:

Think Harry answered your point already. But in terms of a "fairly professional" club, I'm referring to a format that could be marketed with sufficient success to allow for a level below the pro provinces which provides a step up from current AIL level.

What that format is is up to debate. I'm not in favour of a "Premiership" break-away league of the top clubs, as there is a heavy Munster presence in the better AIL clubs and so some Dublin/Leinster clubs would not be included on merit.

A provincial format could be good, feeding up to Leinster/Mun/Uls/Conn Club teams which could compete in an 8-team interpro competition with the A sides of the pro provinces - something like that.
A possible solution could be something akin to the APC with amalgamted clubs representing areas/districts. Strong enough teams, decent competition.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Luckycharm
Beginner

Post by Luckycharm »

Dave Cahill wrote:There are two types of clubs in Ireland. Professional Clubs and Amateur Clubs. Professional clubs serve no useful purpose, are a drain on the games resources and should be returned to amateur status. No problem with amateur clubs.
Please tell me who these professional rugby clubs are??? There are no professional rugby in the AIL anymore some players might get a bit of cash but not enough to live on, some clubs have Pro coaches but you can be sure 90%/95% of their players work or in college.

Anyway here is 2 cents worth I played for one of Leinster senior clubs for 10years for all teams in the club and have been involved for the last 3yrs with a junior club so I have seen it from both sides. When I first started the Senior club used to produce 8 senior teams during the cup. During its heyday it used to produce 9 senior teams and have 40 players still left over.
Now this same club struggles to put out 5 senior teams with the 5th team often not been able to get 15 players :cry: Average age player at the club is now probally very early 20's with no player over 23 on the second team J1.
Reasons most clubs in Dublin are in a very small area competing for lesser/lesser amounts of players as people in the mid 20's have to move to the commuter belt to get on the property ladder.
Also people are working much longer hours these days in our celtic tiger - nowadays we very rarely can get the full team together for a training session.
This means clubs in the commuter belts are getting stronger your barnhalls, nass, cill dara etc while the Senior clubs are starting to struggle.

If anyone remembers the old provincial structure here before the AIL it will not work!! What happens to teams in Connaught where 1/2 teams would dominate? AIL definetly though needs to be streamlined as cannot see how teams in the AIL div 3 cannot afford to travel all around the country. The top teams need to play against Diff teams from diff areas with diff styles if they are to learn and progress.

As for the Clubs not producing another Pro rugby player I disagree, remember not everyone starts rugby at 5/6 or decides at 17/18 they want to be a pro rugby player so where do they learn their trade. Remember there alot of fine rugby players who could be pro's but perhaps have good jobs, families that they do not want to risk to give Pro rugby a go. Look at how our Amatuers did against England/scotland who have bigger playing numbers then us. Look at the make up the under 20's grandslam team the fullback for example came through Seapoint club and has huge potential. John hayes started at 18 in club rugby.

With no clubs you would have a much poorer Leinster, who would the academy players play against? Players like J sexton has gone all his experience playing in the AIL playing against experienced players- you only really learn by playing not by watching bloody videos, blackboards.

Anyway could go on and on but will stop there :lol:
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Wasn't Ronnie McCormack propping at J2 level not too many moons ago or am I imagining that?
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

All good points Luckycharm and agree with you. Demographics and society is causing the shift, but the power still seems to reside with the ailing senior clubs, which is bad for the development of the game.

As for the problem of Connacht in an interpro setup, well the GAA have been pretty creative with this in the past. You can argue about the merits/demerits of having Buccaneers playing in the Ulster league, but there's always a solution. One thing's for sure, it isn't the status quo... :(
RugbyBug
Graduate

Post by RugbyBug »

Leinsterman wrote:Wasn't Ronnie McCormack propping at J2 level not too many moons ago or am I imagining that?
Is that why he lets the opposition push him back a metre and a half?? :D
Luckycharm
Beginner

Post by Luckycharm »

Leinsterman wrote:Wasn't Ronnie McCormack propping at J2 level not too many moons ago or am I imagining that?
Yep I played with Ronnie many times he never played higher then J2 that was when he was young a couple of stone lighter- reckon his natural weight around the 15st mark- he was very good around the park then.