J4 Metro League Fixtures

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

vagga
Bookworm

Re: J4 Metro League Fixtures

Post by vagga »

what about the lads that played J4's for Rock all year and then got dropped for the bangers in the final?
god I hate how senior clubs do that year in and year out..

To those lads who were dropped I would tell them to go and find a smaller club where their effort would be appreciated..
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

being a member of the team who is injured at the minute, I just want to thank everyone for their expert opinions on our selections.

However, the reality is that, Emmy aside (who played as we had no fit outhalf), all the players who played in the final had played games for us before.

The 20's lads have been supplimenting the team all season
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Darce wrote: However, the reality is that, Emmy aside (who played as we had no fit outhalf),

Plenty of other clubs don't have a luxury like that. They would simply use another player from the panel to fill in.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Leinsterman wrote:
Darce wrote: However, the reality is that, Emmy aside (who played as we had no fit outhalf),

Plenty of other clubs don't have a luxury like that. They would simply use another player from the panel to fill in.
Hows that Rocks fault, that we have a large pool to pick from.

He's not an illegal player, so we picked him.

Also, its worth noting that actually only 1 player who played all ireland 20's played for us
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
HUCKER RUCKER
Beginner

Post by HUCKER RUCKER »

Has anyone heard that the J4 league will be split into 4 divisions this year depending on performance levels in the season just gone? My club might put a 2nd team in it if that happens, play in Div 4 of it. I think it would be a good idea anyway, promotion/relegation between the leagues.
rughead
Beginner

Post by rughead »

Darce wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

Hows that Rocks fault, that we have a large pool to pick from.

He's not an illegal player, so we picked him.

Also, its worth noting that actually only 1 player who played all ireland 20's played for us

I do think that players in the final should have played at least a few times at J4 level in the season I reckon 3/4 times is fair, there's always a number of guy's who aren't cup tied who play at a higher standard in most clubs that could get brought in for the cup.
It doesn't happen so much now but it used to be a real problem, all it takes is some clubs to do it and everyone will be at it.
Hopefully they will change the cup so that it runs throughout the season which would help cut it out.
Pure Rugby Head
rughead
Beginner

Post by rughead »

HUCKER RUCKER wrote:Has anyone heard that the J4 league will be split into 4 divisions this year depending on performance levels in the season just gone? My club might put a 2nd team in it if that happens, play in Div 4 of it. I think it would be a good idea anyway, promotion/relegation between the leagues.

I haven't heard but it would make sense and provide less one sided games.
Pure Rugby Head
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

HUCKER RUCKER wrote:Has anyone heard that the J4 league will be split into 4 divisions this year depending on performance levels in the season just gone? My club might put a 2nd team in it if that happens, play in Div 4 of it. I think it would be a good idea anyway, promotion/relegation between the leagues.
Would be strongly against that idea. I play for UCD, and for the first half of the season we struggled, but by the end had managed to put a good team in place and find an excellent coach. Far better set for next year now. Teams frequently change at j4 level, with some sides who were cack one year reinventing themselves the next. Look at Bective's last two seasons for example. What could easily happen is that you might end up with many horrendously one-sided games rather than creating a more competitive setup.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

The idea that was suggested earlier in the season was that the "senior" clubs would play in Division 1 and 2 of a J4 league structure with the junior clubs playing in divisions 3 and 4.
Clubs could progress up from Div 4 to Div 1 but the lowest a senior club's J4 team would fall to what would be division 2.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Leinsterman wrote:The idea that was suggested earlier in the season was that the "senior" clubs would play in Division 1 and 2 of a J4 league structure with the junior clubs playing in divisions 3 and 4.
Clubs could progress up from Div 4 to Div 1 but the lowest a senior club's J4 team would fall to what would be division 2.
not a bad shout...

how would a senior club B team be handled? For example, the bective, marys and gick seconds looked very much development teams. Surely they should fall into Div 3/4...
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Darce wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:The idea that was suggested earlier in the season was that the "senior" clubs would play in Division 1 and 2 of a J4 league structure with the junior clubs playing in divisions 3 and 4.
not a bad shout...

how would a senior club B team be handled? For example, the bective, marys and gick seconds looked very much development teams. Surely they should fall into Div 3/4...
Well I think the idea would initially be that one would play in Div 1/2 and the other in Div 3/4. Eventually the better team would progress up to J3, leaving the other to play in J4 Div 1 or 2. Such should be the natural progression for a senior club looking to field that many teams.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Changes on the way:
Replacements and Substitutes

• There will five replacements/substitutes allowed in all competitions forthwith except in the J4 League where there are six, and underage where there are seven
• The rolling subs ELV, allowing up to 12 substitutions in a game, which was trialled in limited competitions last season will be introduced from J2 level down as well as for JP Fanagan Pennant and Gale Cup

J3 Metro League
• This league will now be played on Friday evenings with a 7:30 pm kick off; in the event of the home club not having floodlights the game will revert to its traditional Sunday afternoon slot. The same will apply if there is a problem with pitch availability unless the away team can take the fixture

J4 Metro League
• In order to avoid some of the serious mismatches that have occurred at this level in recent seasons it has been decided to operate a merit-based J4 League using last season’s results as the starting point
• A J5 League will be created to facilitate clubs entering a second J4 team as well as accommodating the weaker teams in the J4 League
• Where teams opt for uncontested scrums in the J4 and J5 Leagues back row moves will not be allowed from uncontested scrums
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Great news. The introduction of a J5 league is a good idea too.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

Good news all round. No back rows in an uncontested scrum will help as it will clutter the space and will make teams want to scrum to free up that space.

Delighted they upped the number of subs from J2 down and moved the J3 league
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
HUCKER RUCKER
Beginner

Post by HUCKER RUCKER »

it says no back row moves, not no back row. anyway, this is good news, should be 4 very competitive leagues now and my club barnhall might put a team in the J5 league, we ususally have enough players but not enough matches to play them in. hopefully there wouldn't be the stringent sanctions handed out in the J5 league to teams that conceded 1 or 2 walkovers, considering they are made up of the newer/smaller junior clubs and the remainder of the senior clubs J4 squads.
Darce
Shane Jennings

Post by Darce »

HUCKER RUCKER wrote:it says no back row moves, not no back row. anyway, this is good news, should be 4 very competitive leagues now and my club barnhall might put a team in the J5 league, we ususally have enough players but not enough matches to play them in. hopefully there wouldn't be the stringent sanctions handed out in the J5 league to teams that conceded 1 or 2 walkovers, considering they are made up of the newer/smaller junior clubs and the remainder of the senior clubs J4 squads.
indeed, i must learn to read properly
"I don't do desserts"

The Front Lives on
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

HUCKER RUCKER wrote:hopefully there wouldn't be the stringent sanctions handed out in the J5 league to teams that conceded 1 or 2 walkovers, considering they are made up of the newer/smaller junior clubs and the remainder of the senior clubs J4 squads.

The key to the success of this new J5 league will be ringfencing it to a certain extent to prevent the larger AIL clubs sudddenly appearing with a "J5 team" simply to win some silverware.
HUCKER RUCKER
Beginner

Post by HUCKER RUCKER »

dont think that will happen with a league as it can with the cup, simply because a league is played through the sh!t of the winter months, wind, cold and rain. cup is run off in a month in usually pleasant weather. will J5 be on saturday along with the j4? no mention of this anywhere, i presume it will since there seems to be a movement away from sunday rugby with J3 moving to Fridays
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

HUCKER RUCKER wrote: will J5 be on saturday along with the j4? no mention of this anywhere, i presume it will since there seems to be a movement away from sunday rugby with J3 moving to Fridays

It will be, yes. It's really just splitting the existing J4 league because to be honest, it has expanded a lot in the last 4 or 5 years and the gap between the top and bottom teams has widened.
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

some good work done by the branch on this. I wonder what the J5 standard will be like and what day they will play the games. I assume its a Saturday but will the be enough pitches/refs...