Leinster Senior Cup 2008

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

oh no where do we go!
Beginner

Re: Leinster Senior Cup 2008

Post by oh no where do we go! »

quote from Irish Times' Gavin Cummiskey in todays Irish Times

'Clongowes' move on to a semi-final date against Belvedere on February 24th, with a final against CBC Monkstown, who must beat St Mary's, looking the increasingly likely outcome'

Well if the venerable Mr Cumiskey says that CBC are as good as in the final already, then so it must be.

Commiserations to St Marys, thanks for coming lads but you're not needed!

Go on the town!
WINNER
Beginner

Post by WINNER »

Sunday, 24th February

Senior Cup Semi Final:

Clongowes Wood College v Belvedere College SJ (Donnybrook)

Tuesday, 26th February

Senior Cup Semi Final:

St. Mary’s College v CBC Monkstown (Donnybrook)

Thursday, 28th February

Vinnie Murray (Senior) Cup Semi Final:

St. Gerard’s v C.C. Roscrea (venue tbc)
St. Columba’s v Gonzaga College (venue tbc)
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

I presume the final is on Paddy's Day and not the 16th (Sunday)?
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

final is on the 16th
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

combatlogo wrote:I presume the final is on Paddy's Day and not the 16th (Sunday)?
Did you mean "on the 17th and not the 16th" ? ST Pat's day is the 15th this year ! I think next poster said the final is on the 16th. Just have to come back early from Twickers so.
"Look what Leinster have done again"
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

true blue 06 wrote:final is on the 16th
b*%&!cks - won't make it back from the airport in time. :twisted:
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

…0
Last edited by bunty85 on May 3rd, 2023, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

icebaby wrote:
combatlogo wrote:I presume the final is on Paddy's Day and not the 16th (Sunday)?
Did you mean "on the 17th and not the 16th" ? ST Pat's day is the 15th this year ! I think next poster said the final is on the 16th. Just have to come back early from Twickers so.
The Catholic church is celebrating St Patricks day on the 15th, the 17th is still the bank holiday, and when most non-religious festivities take place.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

You're right , wonder why tho the game is on the Sunday?
"Look what Leinster have done again"
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

bunty85 wrote:RDS should have just enough to cater for the attendence unlike doonybrook last year. Must have been a bit of a crush for Michaels boys looking for tickets...noy trying to get ahead of myself but I can imagine a similar demand from CBC folks if they get there.

Whats the highest attendence to a final does anyone know? I remember been at a couple of games with over 20,000 in the past

there was a huge rush for tickets last year. the leinster branch made a balls of it too. they put the tickets on sale online and made no limit to the amount of tickets you could buy. someone bought 30 and tickets were on sale on ebay. dbrook held 6,500 for last years final... afaik the 2005 belvo v rock final and the 2006 michaels v rock final were both over 20,000. i'm predicting a clongowes v cbc final. clongowes haven't won it since 2000 i think is it? cbc since 1976 so demand will be huge
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

true blue 06 wrote:
bunty85 wrote:RDS should have just enough to cater for the attendence unlike doonybrook last year. Must have been a bit of a crush for Michaels boys looking for tickets...noy trying to get ahead of myself but I can imagine a similar demand from CBC folks if they get there.

Whats the highest attendence to a final does anyone know? I remember been at a couple of games with over 20,000 in the past

there was a huge rush for tickets last year. the leinster branch made a balls of it too. they put the tickets on sale online and made no limit to the amount of tickets you could buy. someone bought 30 and tickets were on sale on ebay. dbrook held 6,500 for last years final... afaik the 2005 belvo v rock final and the 2006 michaels v rock final were both over 20,000. i'm predicting a clongowes v cbc final. clongowes haven't won it since 2000 i think is it? cbc since 1976 so demand will be huge
I think the attendance at the final in 1972 when Belvo vanquished Nure was pretty high. As far as I remember Wales & Scotland didn't travel over that season so it was one of the best-attended rugby games that season.
....Till I Die
Beginner

Post by ....Till I Die »

I here the Monkstown second row Ivors or something might not be playing against Mary's cause of a back injury. I don't think it will effect them that much.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

....Till I Die wrote:I here the Monkstown second row Ivors or something might not be playing against Mary's cause of a back injury. I don't think it will effect them that much.
marys have big second rows though... the rest of the pack isn't that big, well compared to monkstown anyway
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

....Till I Die wrote:I here the Monkstown second row Ivors or something might not be playing against Mary's cause of a back injury. I don't think it will effect them that much.
Yeah, Ivors for Monkstown isnt very good. Monkstown will be better without him
Hammy

Post by Hammy »

Alright let the debates begin - who will win between Clongowes and Belvo in the semi??
Rob K
Knowledgeable

Post by Rob K »

[quote="Hammy"]Alright let the debates begin - who will win between Clongowes and Belvo in the semi??[/quote

Hopefully Belvo cause Clongowes play a very boring brand of rugby............
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Hammy wrote:Alright let the debates begin - who will win between Clongowes and Belvo in the semi??

I hope Belvo win. They represent all that is good and decent.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

can we aks posters to remember the relative youth of players in the schools cup when commenting on their ability levels
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

limecat wrote:can we aks posters to remember the relative youth of players in the schools cup when commenting on their ability levels
Or wha?
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Rob K wrote:Hopefully Belvo cause Clongowes play a very boring brand of rugby............
They both do tbh. Very rigid game structure, designed for the cup. Hopefully they'll cancel that out of their game and have to sling it wide every so often. Their respected packs are evenly enough matched.