Leinster Senior Cup 2008

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

bunty85
Knowledgeable

Re: Leinster Senior Cup 2008

Post by bunty85 »

Have to agree with trueblue. I enjoyed ripping the piss out of my Michaels mates for a long time over them never winning the cup. But to be fair they have improved radically in recent years. Michaels record can be said to have slightly underachieved in the past but 4 finals in 30 years ain't bad. Look at Castleknock, haven't won it since the 60s. They fail to live up to their status as a Section C team. Rock for all their 65 cups aren't the dominant force they claim to be. Look at their first 50 wins, before the 60s when there weren't the competitiors out there as today. And folks if you want to see underachievers look at Belvo, one cup since the early 70s. With their numbers and rugby tradition thats a fairly poor stat.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

bunty85 wrote:Have to agree with trueblue. I enjoyed ripping the piss out of my Michaels mates for a long time over them never winning the cup. But to be fair they have improved radically in recent years. Michaels record can be said to have slightly underachieved in the past but 4 finals in 30 years ain't bad. Look at Castleknock, haven't won it since the 60s. They fail to live up to their status as a Section C team. Rock for all their 65 cups aren't the dominant force they claim to be. Look at their first 50 wins, before the 60s when there weren't the competitiors out there as today. And folks if you want to see underachievers look at Belvo, one cup since the early 70s. With their numbers and rugby tradition thats a fairly poor stat.

fair play bunty
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
....Till I Die
Beginner

Post by ....Till I Die »

Sounds like the CBC second row is out for the Mary's match. He has a recurring back injury picked up last Semptember against Nure.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

....Till I Die wrote:Sounds like the CBC second row is out for the Mary's match. He has a recurring back injury picked up last Semptember against Nure.

so who will be starting, whats he like?
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

....Till I Die
Beginner

Post by ....Till I Die »

true blue 06 wrote:
....Till I Die wrote:Sounds like the CBC second row is out for the Mary's match. He has a recurring back injury picked up last Semptember against Nure.

I don't know much about him other then he is a good line-out jumper. I think John Fitzsimons would be starting, he isn't as tall but is very physical.
WINNER
Beginner

Post by WINNER »

....Till I Die wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:

I don't know much about him other then he is a good line-out jumper. I think John Fitzsimons would be starting, he isn't as tall but is very physical.
Loose talk all ok flying and rarin to go
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

bunty85 wrote:Have to agree with trueblue. I enjoyed ripping the piss out of my Michaels mates for a long time over them never winning the cup. But to be fair they have improved radically in recent years. Michaels record can be said to have slightly underachieved in the past but 4 finals in 30 years ain't bad. Look at Castleknock, haven't won it since the 60s. They fail to live up to their status as a Section C team. Rock for all their 65 cups aren't the dominant force they claim to be. Look at their first 50 wins, before the 60s when there weren't the competitiors out there as today. And folks if you want to see underachievers look at Belvo, one cup since the early 70s. With their numbers and rugby tradition thats a fairly poor stat.
lick arse :wink:

is underachievement not averageness (Is averageness a real word?)? 4 finals in 30 years is not particularly amazing, to be fair. I dont think anyone considers castleknock as serious contenders.

How many times have we seen "the best michaels team in years" go out in the first or second round? Pretty regularly i would wager.

And trueblue, stop bringing zaga up, its not what is in question. I know they are rubbish and will never win the thing.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

tate wrote:

is underachievement not averageness (Is averageness a real word?)? 4 finals in 30 years is not particularly amazing, to be fair. I dont think anyone considers castleknock as serious contenders.

How many times have we seen "the best michaels team in years" go out in the first or second round? Pretty regularly i would wager.

And trueblue, stop bringing zaga up, its not what is in question. I know they are rubbish and will never win the thing.

4 finals and 1 cup in 30 years is decent. if a new school was foundned tomorrow you would think them getting to 4 sct finals and winning the cup in the next 30 years would be impossible. i just brought zaga up because you said they usually win their 1st round games but they don't
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

tate wrote:

Haha believe me defending Michaels ain't easy :wink: ...but comparable to a school like Belvo to have won 1 SCT in the period that Michaels have been around puts them below Michaels imo. I do agree with you about 'the best team in years' thing though, nearly every year without fail we'd hear it until they finally had a team to do it last year. TBH I reckon schools like gonazaga, newbridge, roscrea and cbc do underachieved a bit more come the cup. Slighly less numbers and tradition but have still had some really good teams in the past, but never get it right at cup time. Hopefully it will all change this year :)
Inside scoop
Beginner

Post by Inside scoop »

[/quote]Haha believe me defending Michaels ain't easy :wink: ...but comparable to a school like Belvo to have won 1 SCT in the period that Michaels have been around puts them below Michaels imo. I do agree with you about 'the best team in years' thing though, nearly every year without fail we'd hear it until they finally had a team to do it last year. TBH I reckon schools like gonazaga, newbridge, roscrea and cbc do underachieved a bit more come the cup. Slighly less numbers and tradition but have still had some really good teams in the past, but never get it right at cup time. Hopefully it will all change this year :)[/quote]

Don't get caried away now! Agreed belvo are underachievers but the reason they are one of the big 6 is because they have also got to 4 finals in micheals times but more importantly they have always progressed past the first round! I think belvo have reached 6 semi-finals in the last 7 years (correct me if I'm wrong tho!) its being consistently competitive that gives belvo the right to be classed above micheals! Also I agree on Gonzaga underachieving for a small school they are give good teams a run for their money and have produced some quality player. Just need more strenght in depth to win the cup! Also be carefull satin rock arn't powerfull with the teams they have coming over the next three years I wouldn't bet against the winning it all 3 years!
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

Inside scoop wrote:
Haha believe me defending Michaels ain't easy :wink: ...but comparable to a school like Belvo to have won 1 SCT in the period that Michaels have been around puts them below Michaels imo. I do agree with you about 'the best team in years' thing though, nearly every year without fail we'd hear it until they finally had a team to do it last year. TBH I reckon schools like gonazaga, newbridge, roscrea and cbc do underachieved a bit more come the cup. Slighly less numbers and tradition but have still had some really good teams in the past, but never get it right at cup time. Hopefully it will all change this year :)[/quote]

Don't get caried away now! Agreed belvo are underachievers but the reason they are one of the big 6 is because they have also got to 4 finals in micheals times but more importantly they have always progressed past the first round! I think belvo have reached 6 semi-finals in the last 7 years (correct me if I'm wrong tho!) its being consistently competitive that gives belvo the right to be classed above micheals! Also I agree on Gonzaga underachieving for a small school they are give good teams a run for their money and have produced some quality player. Just need more strenght in depth to win the cup! Also be carefull satin rock arn't powerfull with the teams they have coming over the next three years I wouldn't bet against the winning it all 3 years![/quote]

well a school like belvo has a great rugby tradition and has a couple of cups - 5 is it? its not a contest between the big 6 but having spent 14 years in michaels and now as a coach there the only team we usually struggle against is rock. i've rarely been involved in teams that have lost to the likes of marys, gick, clongowes and belvo. they're all great rugby schools but at the moment i certainly wouldnt have michaels at the bottom.

agreed about rock, they'll walk it next year and the year after that they'll be favourites just ahead of michaels just going by the jct final last year - 13-10 to rock
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

Inside scoop
Beginner

Post by Inside scoop »

Ye belvo have 9 cups and hopefully 10 soon! That would put us joint second in leinster! I also agree michaels are improving. I'm jus standing up 4 belvo wen ppl say that were not a big 6 school and whatnot!

Ye what will the micaels team be like next year with those decent 5th years?
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Don't get me wrong Belvo are big 6 and have one of the best histories. What I was saying was that Belvos record in the period when Michaels have been around is no more outstanding and the fact that they have such a tradition makes them underachievers over the past 30 years.

Anyway...Hope Ivers is alright for the semis for CBC. tillidie seems to have the inside info over all of his movements though....
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

Inside scoop wrote:Ye belvo have 9 cups and hopefully 10 soon! That would put us joint second in leinster! I also agree michaels are improving. I'm jus standing up 4 belvo wen ppl say that were not a big 6 school and whatnot!

Ye what will the micaels team be like next year with those decent 5th years?

9 cups is impressive. next year our 6 th years are poor, the worst in years but the 5 th years a will be very good. i'd say there will be more 5th years starting than 6 th years
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

....Till I Die
Beginner

Post by ....Till I Die »

bunty85 wrote:Don't get me wrong Belvo are big 6 and have one of the best histories. What I was saying was that Belvos record in the period when Michaels have been around is no more outstanding and the fact that they have such a tradition makes them underachievers over the past 30 years.

Anyway...Hope Ivers is alright for the semis for CBC. tillidie seems to have the inside info over all of his movements though....
I am friends with one of the parents on the team............ so I can get the inside scoop!
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

....Till I Die wrote:
bunty85 wrote:Don't get me wrong Belvo are big 6 and have one of the best histories. What I was saying was that Belvos record in the period when Michaels have been around is no more outstanding and the fact that they have such a tradition makes them underachievers over the past 30 years.

I am friends with one of the parents on the team............ so I can get the inside scoop!
lol
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

tate , michaels still average? today , made there 4th schools cup final in 3 years- 2006-sct final, 2007-sct final and jct final, 2008- jct final
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

true blue 06 wrote:tate , michaels still average? today , made there 4th schools cup final in 3 years- 2006-sct final, 2007-sct final and jct final, 2008- jct final
fair enough they have gotten to the final, but how many have they won. Like i said its not a personal thing, couldnt give a sh!t really, but many people feel that michaels teams are average and never life up to their hype.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

tate wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:tate , michaels still average? today , made there 4th schools cup final in 3 years- 2006-sct final, 2007-sct final and jct final, 2008- jct final
fair enough they have gotten to the final, but how many have they won. Like i said its not a personal thing, couldnt give a sh!t really, but many people feel that michaels teams are average and never life up to their hype.
i admit we're always hyped up, but its not always ourselves hyping us up, the media love the whole michaels/rock thing and a lot of it stems from that
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

WINNER
Beginner

Post by WINNER »

True Blue
Why don't you give everyone a break and p**s off you boring nerd, you have too much to say and none of it interesting, you have driven everyone away listening to you spouting off about St Michaels.
Last edited by WINNER on February 23rd, 2008, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.