Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups

Post by thecoolfreak »

Do you think the Vinnie Murray and Fr Godfrey Cups introduced 3 years ago were a good idea?
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Post by epaddy »

Yes, it gives smallers schools something to play for
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Re: Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups

Post by Duff Paddy »

thecoofreak wrote:Do you think the Vinnie Murray and Fr Godfrey Cups introduced 3 years ago were a good idea?
Definitely. But the gap between the big schools and the rest seems to be getting bigger. Remember when the likes of Templeogue were competitive. I don't know what the solution is though.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Some of the smaller schools seem to be improving like Wesly, CBC, Newbridge and even CUS. I think it will just take time. However they will never reach the standards of Rock, etc.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

Can someone explain the setup properly to me. I've kinda lost track of what's what.

Is there still a Section A or is that now the Vinnie Murray Cup?

And the Fr.Godfrey cup is Juniors right?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

There is now 3 sections. The finalists in the A section get put into the Murray or Godfrey Cups. Then if u reach the smis of these cups u go into the Senior or Junior Cup.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

thecoofreak wrote:There is now 3 sections. The finalists in the A section get put into the Murray or Godfrey Cups. Then if u reach the smis of these cups u go into the Senior or Junior Cup.
Cheers, that's kinda what I thought. So who doesn't enter the VM cup?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

De La Salle, Columbas, Naas, Gorey, etc.
CM
Mullet

Post by CM »

thecoofreak wrote:De La Salle, Columbas, Naas, Gorey, etc.
Sorry, meant the other end of the scale. Presumably Rock, Belvo, Clongowes, Mary's, Michael's and Nure don't enter. Anyone else?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

CM wrote:
thecoofreak wrote:De La Salle, Columbas, Naas, Gorey, etc.
Sorry, meant the other end of the scale. Presumably Rock, Belvo, Clongowes, Mary's, Michael's and Nure don't enter. Anyone else?
What do you mean?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

All the usual big schools and those who reach the semis of the league, usually Gonzaga, Newbridge, CBC
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Vinnie Murray Semi Finals - Wednesday, March 1st

At Naas RFC
Newbridge College 10 v 30 The King’s Hospital

At De La Salle Palmerston RFC
Wesley College 10 v 24 CBC Monkstown
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

At Cill Dara
Fr. Godfrey Semi Final - CUS 20 v 0 Cistercian College Roscrea

We finally get into a final again. First time since 1953. f%~k?=in brilliant
Justtoby
Knowledgeable

Re: Vinnie Murray and Godfrey Cups

Post by Justtoby »

thecoofreak wrote:Do you think the Vinnie Murray and Fr Godfrey Cups introduced 3 years ago were a good idea?
They're a step in the right direction. Vinnie Murray teams now have a chance to catch some of the bigger schools cold which was never the case before.

I think an ideal system would be an all inclusive league where all the big teams participate in perhaps 2 or 4 groups. Each team can have around 10 competitive matches and the top 4 or 2 (depending on how many groups there are) in each group progress to the Senior Cup knockout stage. It would lead to more meaningful matches and would also save the pitch in Donnybrook from overuse as only knockout matches are played there.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I can't believe what has just happened in my old school. We get into the final of the Godfrey Cup, our first time in the final for over 50 years. But then 6 of the players are messing with a second year and hit him a few slaps. When the school hears of this the principal decides to ban them from playing in the final. f%~kin joke when you compare it to what happened to the Rock players who were involved in the incident with Michael's.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Thanks for that coolfreak, I'm off to place a bet against CUS.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoofreak wrote:I can't believe what has just happened in my old school. We get into the final of the Godfrey Cup, our first time in the final for over 50 years. But then 6 of the players are messing with a second year and hit him a few slaps. When the school hears of this the principal decides to ban them from playing in the final. f%~kin joke when you compare it to what happened to the Rock players who were involved in the incident with Michael's.
I'd venture to suggets that there are still ethics and morals in your old school, as opposed to Blackrock where you can apparently do what the fock you want if you are on the "S".
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I'd venture to suggets that there are still ethics and morals in your old school,
They've got suspended as well and have f%~ked up their chances of going to South Africa in the summer, which i would think is enough
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoofreak wrote:
I'd venture to suggets that there are still ethics and morals in your old school,
They've got suspended as well and have f%~ked up their chances of going to South Africa in the summer, which i would think is enough
Dunno mate, I don't know what they did to deserve the punishment. Schools tend to take a pretty tough stance on bullying these days, and to be honest its hard to argue with that......
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Its a bit much even the 2nd years Mum asked that they would be allowed play in the final. If u ask me they have gone OTT