Vinnie Murray and Fr Godfrey Cups

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

thebigcheese
Beginner

Vinnie Murray and Fr Godfrey Cups

Post by thebigcheese »

how do you think these will go.

Vinnie Murray predictions
Gerards V De La Salle should go Gerards way (great to see DLS back though)
Roscrea to beat Maynooth
High School to beat Templeogue
CUS to beat St Conleths
Mount Temple to beat St Columbus
Newbridge to Beat Wesley

I'd say Roscrea should come through the top half and Gonzaga the bottom with Gonzaga to win it.

Fr Godfrey predictions
Marian to beat Templeogue
St Andrews to beat St Pats (who should surely enter the league at this stage. They qualify through Section A every year)
Mount Temple to beat Wesley
Gerards to hammer High School
Kilkenny to beat Skerries
PBC Bray to beat CUS

Andrews PBC Bray final??
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

andrews are terrible this year and wesleys b team have already hammered mt temple also templeogue arent exactly the best team but to lose to marian?? at least base your guesses on something
thebigcheese
Beginner

Post by thebigcheese »

jaybyrne wrote:andrews are terrible this year and wesleys b team have already hammered mt temple also templeogue arent exactly the best team but to lose to marian?? at least base your guesses on something
Templeogue are terrible and I'd fancy any team to beat them. Andrew's aren't that bad. They were well beaten in most league games but I'd say it was the tougher group with Pres Bray, Gonzaga and Roscrea traditionally being the 3 strongest middle schools. Don't know much about Wesley but if the last 2 years are anything to go by mount Temple have a chance but I'll bow to your superior knowledge on that one. The other results are bankers
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

i was just arguing against andrews getting to the final not winning their first game and also ive seen marian play and templeogue and although marian have 1 or 2 decent players they are probably worsr
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

Marian defo to beat Templeogue, 1 or 2 decent players? What match have you seen, I saw them against Terenure Bs, 105 - 0 to that Marian side... And that was against a good Gick B side.

Gererds to hammer HS?...HS usualy have a decent side! You sure about that?

... Conleths have a decent side but CUS should beat them, they have most of last years players who nearly knocked Marys out of the Senior Cup.

By the way, how tall is that Marian out half??
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

well marian didnt even win the section A cup so they cant be dat good at all and high school have one of their worst teams ever r u sure it wasnt terenure c's r d's
Vincent_Dunlop
Beginner

Post by Vincent_Dunlop »

It prob was C's or D's.

Most " Premier " Schools will put out a 3rds/ 4ths team to fill a seconds game vs a " weaker " School.

Im just generalising here, but its mostly the case.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

might have just been a social team either
thebigcheese
Beginner

Post by thebigcheese »

jaybyrne wrote:i was just arguing against andrews getting to the final not winning their first game and also ive seen marian play and templeogue and although marian have 1 or 2 decent players they are probably worsr
just checked the Wesley league results and they didn't take any bad beatings. Maybe they are favorites to come out of the top half as it looks very week.
Gerards beat Pres Bray in the league but when it counts the tougher boys from Pres should prevail if they end up meeting in the semi final. Either way I expect the winner to come from the bottom half of the draw
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

It was their Bs, my brother was playing for Nure, It was embarresing but iv noticed Marian and Pats and even Columbas putting up very good opposition lately.

They didnt win the cup but they lost norrowly to the winners, cant just write them off like that. And High Schools Js your right, not great looking at their results, shame on them, but come cup time, things do change.

by the way, Pats Navan arnt a section A team... their a Development Cup team...
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

Vinnie Murray
Q1 Gerards
Q2 High School
Q3 Columbas!!!!!
Q4 Kilkenny
I realise that going for Columbas reaching the semi finals would leave most of you thinking I'm completely mental, however, their outhalf, McKinlay, is the best schools 10 I have seen for a long time. He controls the game so well and opposition can just not handle him. He made the Leinster 19s last season and is on the Leinster schools side proper as well as development this year. Saw him play during the summer in an interpro 19s game. Fantastic. You will hear a lot about this guy.
Plus controversial choices always are more interesting!!!
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Durkah Durkah wrote:Vinnie Murray
Q1 Gerards
Q2 High School
Q3 Columbas!!!!!
Q4 Kilkenny
I realise that going for Columbas reaching the semi finals would leave most of you thinking I'm completely mental, however, their outhalf, McKinlay, is the best schools 10 I have seen for a long time. He controls the game so well and opposition can just not handle him. He made the Leinster 19s last season and is on the Leinster schools side proper as well as development this year. Saw him play during the summer in an interpro 19s game. Fantastic. You will hear a lot about this guy.
I think you'll find that CUS have a strong side this year. It would be a serious shock if they were to lose to Columba's
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

A serious shock? i would be suprised if CUS won by more than 5 points.
Durkah Durkah
Bookworm

Post by Durkah Durkah »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Q1 Gerards
Q2 High School
Q3 Columbas!!!!!
Q4 Kilkenny
I think you'll find that CUS have a strong side this year. It would be a serious shock if they were to lose to Columba's
I think you'll find that it would be a serious shock, hence controversial choice. I know your a CUS O.B. so don't ya feel a little less secure than you did before? I know I would. You should beat them but .....strange things can happen.
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

CUS are a decent side, ofcorse, but losing to Columbus would not be a "serious shock", its not expected statisticly, but in reality, both sides are at their peak this year. I also think Columbus have the ball rolling at the moment, it could go eather way but CUS with the better chance of it.
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Durkah Durkah wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
Q1 Gerards
Q2 High School
Q3 Columbas!!!!!
Q4 Kilkenny
I think you'll find that it would be a serious shock, hence controversial choice. I know your a CUS O.B. so don't ya feel a little less secure than you did before? I know I would. You should beat them but .....strange things can happen.
One always feels insecure when CUS are playing!! Seriously, though i've seen most of our games this season and thing about them is its a strong team, not one or two individuals. Columba's may have a great outhalf just like they did when i was SCT but one player won't make a team
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

CUS have 2 leinster players if my memory serves me correctly?
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

eoinzero wrote:CUS have 2 leinster players if my memory serves me correctly?
Don't think so
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

CUS to win.......Columbas are a good section A side but CUS are decent enough. Columbas will put up a great fight but CUS will just have enough. CUS will get into the Cup but not much further in that, they're a good contender for the Vinny Murray Cuo though.

The only team out of the Vinny Murray I see doing anything in the cup is Gonzaga, they had a bad league campaign but should improve to beat KK.
eoinzero
Beginner

Post by eoinzero »

Do remember they still have to beat Conleths first.

Any recent friendly results from any of the sides...