Barnhall U-18s They would take most school teams

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

BigBoi
Beginner

Barnhall U-18s They would take most school teams

Post by BigBoi »

Just posted this because I recently moved to the Tute after playing seniors last year and after playin Banhall i d say the would beat most school teams. They are the same size as cbc
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

v
Last edited by jaybyrne on June 23rd, 2009, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBoi
Beginner

Post by BigBoi »

Yeah mate it says on the barnhall website they won the Leinster 10 a side competition beating Naas, Dundalk and Wicklow. And im prett sure the won the metro the all Ireland and i dont know how many other cups last Their back five in the pack are all over 6'5 and are defo the same size as cbc. They already beat the Gick in a friendly 19-12 or something.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

x
Last edited by jaybyrne on June 23rd, 2009, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jibbly
Beginner

Re: Barnhall U-18s They would take most school teams

Post by Jibbly »

The current Barnhall U-18 team is the same team that won the all-ireland and leinster league and cup two years ago, beating the current wicklow team in the semi final of the league and the final of the cup.

As well as that, wicklow lost in this years league to wexford. Barnhall beat the same weford team 65-3 a few weeks later in the quater final. They are the only unbeaten team left in the leinster league this year.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

z
Jibbly
Beginner

Post by Jibbly »

Ok, i'm guessing you play on the wicklow u-18's at the moment so good luck with the rest of the season. After doing a little bit of research into it, it turns out that the current barnhall u-18 setup have 6 Leinster Youths from last season in their squad along with 2 Leinster U-19's and 2 Leinster Youths this year.
Macker

Post by Macker »

My team have played this Barnhall team this year, and my jesus they are huge. I would say their front row isnt far off 50-55 stone!! it was a little weak until a new hooker was subbed on, he had a bit of a belly but he could shift around the pitch and he hit like a brick wall. the prop with the beard is by far the strongest i have ever come across! just his sheer brute strength and knowledge of the rules was unfounded, i think he or the big centre was captain on the day.

the back row is similarly well skilled. they have no fear and tackle all day long and on the floor the fight all day.

then the back..... while some basic handling errors were apparent when we played them i think it was down to lack of cencentration as givin half a chance they could and do score from anywhere on the pitch. their out half sometimes makes silly calls but other wise he has a good leg on him and makes some good kicks. Then the big centre who swaps from inside to outside i think is perfectly matched with his centre partner. if they stay together i think they will go far! the full back and 2 wingers are also decent but somtimes the wingers need to concentrate hard as their concentration seems to lapse and they knock the ball on.

Seriously everybody i think you should be weary of this team. i have strong feelings they will win top honours this year and i can only hope we get a chance to play them again later in the season!
FruitLoops

Post by FruitLoops »

Just to keep the facts and debates going... Wicklow have a good team, no doubt about it but the last time THIS Barnhall team played THIS Wicklow team, we won. 12-0, Leinster cup final.

Also... This Barnhall team has 8 Leinster youths, 3 Irish Youths and 3 Leinster under 19's between this season and last, and their all still playing this year

So far this season Barnhall are the team to beat... And we haven't played with a 100% full strength team even once this season;)
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

which team in Wicklow do u play 4 Jay, 16s or 18s ?
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

z
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

If Barnhall do become the best youth team in Leinster, it would be nice to see them play against one of the top section B schools teams, if not the senior cup winners. i think they would take any schools team up front, the same as they did against Terenure in a challenge match recently. I didn't see it but I heard they mauled the 'nure pack off the park and totally dominated them.
The divide of youths and schools is getting narrower every year, as can be seen from the make up of this years Leinster U19s squad. U19s is the first time in underage rugby where both club & school players are open to selection at representative level.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

bluerugbyrules wrote:If Barnhall do become the best youth team in Leinster, it would be nice to see them play against one of the top section B schools teams, if not the senior cup winners. i think they would take any schools team up front, the same as they did against Terenure in a challenge match recently. I didn't see it but I heard they mauled the 'nure pack off the park and totally dominated them.
The divide of youths and schools is getting narrower every year, as can be seen from the make up of this years Leinster U19s squad. U19s is the first time in underage rugby where both club & school players are open to selection at representative level.
Presumably they were playing the Gick club side, none of whose players would be on an SCT panel?

Again, I presume that most if not all the U19 players on the Leinster team playing for a club would actually have left school?

Sorry, but I just can't see any youths side competing against an SCT from the big 6 given the intensity of the latters' training, facilities etc.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

x
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

Response to JayByrne. Barnhall beat Naas today in the semi, which i think you said would not happen. i don't know how the other semi went with Wicklow & Mullingar. Naas were a good team and the score was 13-12. Only for some shocking reffereeing it would have been 2 more tries for Barnhall. One where the ball was clearly touched down by their big centre. The other should have been a penalty try for repeatedly collapsing the maul close to the line. (the ref was on the wrong side to see it EVERY time)
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

Response to COMBATLOGO. I understand that it was all the Gick's SCT except 5 players. perhaps someone from the Gick can clarify this.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

wicklow won 25-15

wicklow barnhall final next week

wicklow are missing two irish players
bluerugbyrules
Learner

Post by bluerugbyrules »

That final is not on for another few weeks, as the Culliton Cup starts next week and is also on the following week. Which two players play for ireland? I didn't think they had selected the irish Youth Team yet. Not all the players who went to the trials will be selected, there were around 40 players trialled as they held two matches.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

the irish squad was selected a few weeks ago

Provincial Youth Squad:

Backs -

Luke O'Dea (Shannon), Michael Lawton (Ards), Tchad Collins Francois (Truro College), Kailyn Domican (Naas), Eoin Griffin (Corinthians), Andrew Boyle (St Brigid's), David Lynch (Naas), Ben Doyle (Wicklow) Gavin Nyawata (Kilkenny), CallumMcKie (Brentwood), Niall Earls (Wicklow), Nathan Mc Mullan (Rainey OB), Adam Kennedy (Buccaneers)

Forwards -

Josh Bennett (Gloucester), James Stephenson (London Irish), Dominic Gallagher (Lisburn), Dean Landy (Carrick on Suir), James Simpson (Ballynahinch), Charlie Armstrong (Truro), Shane Casey (Castlebar), Declan Farrell (Leeds Carnegie), Kark Egan (Corinthiams), Paul Molloy (Waterpark), Kieran Brookes (Fylde), James Robinson (Corinthians), JP Cooney (Thurles).
Jibbly
Beginner

Post by Jibbly »

Final on the 9th of March in Donnybrook i've been led to believe. Should be a good one!

Round 3 of these two teams rivalry!