AIB Leagues

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

General Collins
Graduate

Re: AIB Leagues

Post by General Collins »

Exile,

it appears you're becoming a bit of a College fan.....

i'm glad to see you've opted for a free-flowing exciting brand of rugby in your adopted city. Not surprising really given the brand of rugby you're used to watching.

Unfortunately we underperformed last weekend in the local derby with Highfield. Big two games coming up over the next few weeks.

Young Munsters at home on Feb 9th should prove very decisive
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

General Collins wrote:Exile,

it appears you're becoming a bit of a College fan.....

i'm glad to see you've opted for a free-flowing exciting brand of rugby in your adopted city. Not surprising really given the brand of rugby you're used to watching.

Unfortunately we underperformed last weekend in the local derby with Highfield. Big two games coming up over the next few weeks.

Young Munsters at home on Feb 9th should prove very decisive
Well General, College pay my salary, so my loyalty can be bought! I'm a fan of Colleges rugby anyway.

I stood in the monsoon in Highfield last week. College were beaten by a combination of the rain, slope and a very aggressive Highfield pack. I felt Highfield were on the brink of being over hyped-up in the first half in particular.

Anyway College have a good pack & the out-half is handy enough. I'd worry about them being promoted. They look physically smaller than another college team in Div 1, UCD. For the team to survive in Division 1 the players would have to stay on after finishing their primary degree - which would be very popular down Cork Con way.....
General Collins
Graduate

They are certainly smaller, even when compared with College sides from the last ten years, but for some reason they're able to withstand the pressure.
This side appear more technically skilled - which is testament to the training methods employed by the new coaches over the past two years.

This UCC side are certainly less cavalier than previous teams, but they're also a little more street wise.

It's funny, the club appears 50/50 split on the promotion issue. Many of the members fear that getting promoted will mean that players will stick around long after their degree is completed. While it's obviously good for the club to be playing at the highest level, the essence of College rugby is that the team remoulds itself every 2/3 years and new youngsters come in and take over the jersey. I'm still not sure what side of the argument i'm in favour of.

As for that filth hole club on the other side of the city - with its constant suffocation of the rest of Cork rugby.... Well the less i say about them the better..... :wink: :wink:
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Not sure if I'll make the Young Munster game on 9 Feb GC, Wales v Scotland is on tv at the same time. The France v Ireland game kicks off at 4.00 on 9 Feb so even a 2.30 kick-off for UCC wouldn't suit. It might make more sense to make it at 12.00 kick-off or play the game on 10 Feb.

I'm in two minds about UCC being promoted, I'd like them to go up & stay up, but that would mean the players staying on. That would mean fewer palyers coming through though. In my time here in The Gulag I have seen quite a few players come through for Munster (unfortunately) and Ireland (fortunately) including Stirnger, O'Driscoll, Flannery & Leamy. Never got to see O'Gara play for UCC, the year I arrived here he'd gone to Cork Con - even though he was still a student!

If you really want to annoy your self go to the Cork Con website & look at the page with Cork Con Irish internationals. Included is one Denis Leamy, how many games has he ever played for Con???????..........................0! They're shameless!
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Exile wrote:Not sure if I'll make the Young Munster game on 9 Feb GC, Wales v Scotland is on tv at the same time. The France v Ireland game kicks off at 4.00 on 9 Feb so even a 2.30 kick-off for UCC wouldn't suit. It might make more sense to make it at 12.00 kick-off or play the game on 10 Feb.

I'm in two minds about UCC being promoted, I'd like them to go up & stay up, but that would mean the players staying on. That would mean fewer palyers coming through though. In my time here in The Gulag I have seen quite a few players come through for Munster (unfortunately) and Ireland (fortunately) including Stirnger, O'Driscoll, Flannery & Leamy. Never got to see O'Gara play for UCC, the year I arrived here he'd gone to Cork Con - even though he was still a student!

If you really want to annoy your self go to the Cork Con website & look at the page with Cork Con Irish internationals. Included is one Denis Leamy, how many games has he ever played for Con???????..........................0! They're shameless!
The Shannon one from a few years back was even worse. :lol: :lol: :lol: More Cork lads than Limerick
T - 45
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Great win for Collidge today. We're in with a chance of a playoff spot
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Exile wrote:Not sure if I'll make the Young Munster game on 9 Feb GC, Wales v Scotland is on tv at the same time. The France v Ireland game kicks off at 4.00 on 9 Feb so even a 2.30 kick-off for UCC wouldn't suit. It might make more sense to make it at 12.00 kick-off or play the game on 10 Feb.

The Shannon one from a few years back was even worse. :lol: :lol: :lol: More Cork lads than Limerick
I coughed up 10 Euro watch Cork Con beat Dungannon yesterday. Why was Cronan Helay the odd man out? All of the other Cork Con backs are ex-UCC. Although Con won 40-12 Dungannon weren't that bad, quite well coached but lacking a bit of spark, especailly in the backs.

Can't imagine Galwegians were too thrilled to see Alan Quinlan, Tony Buckly & Donnachadh Ryan playing for Shannon yesterday.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Exile wrote:
CRAZYDAVE wrote:

I coughed up 10 Euro watch Cork Con beat Dungannon yesterday. Why was Cronan Helay the odd man out? All of the other Cork Con backs are ex-UCC. Although Con won 40-12 Dungannon weren't that bad, quite well coached but lacking a bit of spark, especailly in the backs.

Can't imagine Galwegians were too thrilled to see Alan Quinlan, Tony Buckly & Donnachadh Ryan playing for Shannon yesterday.
Got a bit of a shock when I saw Paul Warwick and a couple of the Academy players lining out for UL Bohs at the weekend. They played reasonably well, but without Warwick would not have been within an asses roar of Tarf in the end. Their cause wasn't helped by the fact that they kept getting injured at every break in play (while playing against the wind) in the second half. Although they went 8-5- ahead with 10 minutes to go, Alan Lewis had no real option but to play the 10 minutes injury time, at the end of which Tarf winger Derek Keane went over for a winning try for the second week on the trot. (It makes a nice change from snatching defeat from the jaws of victory)

A tougher prospect in the AI Cup next weekend against Garryowen awaits. A 4:30 kick off at Castle Avenue for those interested.
T - 45
General Collins
Graduate

Yeah, we've had quite a few players come through the club and on to bigger things over the last ten years.

You could also add in John Kelly, Frankie, Steve Keogh, Conrad, Frank Murphy and even Mike Ross. It was surreal to watch Ross up against Andrew Sheridan on Friday night during the Sale Harlequins game.... The guy struggled to play minor rugby when he first came on the scene back in '98. Good luck to him though.

I headed off to watch Highfield against Trinity on Saturday. Bloody hell the ref was some homer.
Highfield were 23 - 0 up before Trinity decided to start playing. Got it back to 23-19, before 'Field finished them off with a few Brian O'Meara penalties and a late try.
Trinity however had an excellent out-half. Some guy call Johnny Watt. Anybody know his story?
Excellent boot, fine turn of pace, good hands and a good eye too. He actually fluctuated between 10 and 15 for the entire game. He reminds of that Leinster player who went to West Hartlepool a few years back, I think his name was Emmet Farrell.
Mustapha
Knowledgeable

Post by Mustapha »

He's only a young guy, about 22 I think. Played Ulster and Irish Schools and Ulster 21s. Goes to Trin. Good lad. Very good player.
A little known fact about JC (not Jerry, the other one. The nice Jewish boy) was that he was a top-level statistician. Where does the bible tell us this? Mark 6:30-44

His Poisson distribution skills were miraculous.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

thecoolfreak wrote:Great win for Collidge today. We're in with a chance of a playoff spot
fock yeah!!!
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Blackrock hammered collidge yesterday to go into the semis of the cup.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

tate wrote:Blackrock hammered collidge yesterday to go into the semis of the cup.
Joining Tarf in the Semi's after Saturday's win over Garryowen. One penalty try plus a second half intercept run in from inside his own 22 by Phil Howard (ex DU). Keatly had a 100% record with kicks :shock: :shock: :shock: (most of which were in front of the posts)
T - 45
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

tate wrote:Blackrock hammered collidge yesterday to go into the semis of the cup.
was always a possiblity. Rock are a very experienced unit going in against a youngish but talented UCD team.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Darce wrote:
was always a possiblity. Rock are a very experienced unit going in against a youngish but talented UCD team.
Story goes that Munch weighed-in with two tries for Rock....
T - 45
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Darce wrote:
didnt help we were missing kev mcloughlin and ronnie mccormac as well. Its only the cup, hopefully they can retain their strong league position
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

tate wrote:
Darce wrote:
didnt help we were missing kev mcloughlin and ronnie mccormac as well. Its only the cup, hopefully they can retain their strong league position
Aye,
A strong UCD is important for Leinster
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

its important for the academy players all right, and with bobby byrne coaching them they'll know what they have to do
oh no where do we go!
Beginner

Post by oh no where do we go! »

are college playing ireland u-19's this sunday in belfield?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

oh no where do we go! wrote:are college playing ireland u-19's this sunday in belfield?
not sure but i can try and find out for you