AIB Leagues

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Beltza
Learner

Re: AIB Leagues

Post by Beltza »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:Ridiculous situation in Castle Avenue last Saturday when the AIL1 match between Tarf & Stones had uncontested scrums for the last 30 minutes of the game. Farcical.
Would some kind soul mind telling me what happened? I gather Clontarf won in the end...?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:Ridiculous situation in Castle Avenue last Saturday when the AIL1 match between Tarf & Stones had uncontested scrums for the last 30 minutes of the game. Farcical.
Was there injuries to two props or two hookers? If there was, absolute correct call to go uncontested.
You'll need to explain the situation more
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Beltza wrote:
Would some kind soul mind telling me what happened? I gather Clontarf won in the end...?
Stones prop picked up a calf injury early in the first half. He tried to continue but was unable and was replaced after 30 minutes.

Don't know what happened second prop (Stephen Snell), but a scrum collapsed on the Stones 5 metre line and he didn't get up too quickly afterwards. Don't know what exactly happened but Cian Healy got yellow carded for something at the same scrum (possibly some "afters"). Snell had to leave the pitch and Stones had no further replacement front rows on their bench, so that effectively turned the last 30 minutes into a game of rugby league. AFAIK teams are only obliged to have one replacement prop on the bench. A bit messy from the home teams point of view, as Tarf couldn't turn the screw using their pack at the set scrum in the second half.

I know that debates have taken place on this site about uncontested scrums in the past. Whatever about Junior level, perhaps its time for the IRFU to look at having two replacement props on the bench for AIL matches from next season onwards.
T - 45
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Beltza wrote:
Stones prop picked up a calf injury early in the first half. He tried to continue but was unable and was replaced after 30 minutes.

Don't know what happened second prop (Stephen Snell), but a scrum collapsed on the Stones 5 metre line and he didn't get up too quickly afterwards. Don't know what exactly happened but Cian Healy got yellow carded for something at the same scrum (possibly some "afters"). Snell had to leave the pitch and Stones had no further replacement front rows on their bench, so that effectively turned the last 30 minutes into a game of rugby league. AFAIK teams are only obliged to have one replacement prop on the bench. A bit messy from the home teams point of view, as Tarf couldn't turn the screw using their pack at the set scrum in the second half.

I know that debates have taken place on this site about uncontested scrums in the past. Whatever about Junior level, perhaps its time for the IRFU to look at having two replacement props on the bench for AIL matches from next season onwards.
Dunno. Perhaps have two props on the bench as replacements and then you can only use 7 of the 8 subs in normal circumstances and you can only use the 8th sub for a prop injury
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Pain in the ass for 2nd choice replacement prop though who'll have to turn up week in week out and not get a game. Uncontested scrum only happens now and then...let it be!
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

I know it slipped under the radar over the weekend but Dungannon did a good bit of business beating UL Bohemians. It lifts them above Stones, Nure & Landsdowne with only three games to go.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

General Collins wrote:Yeah, it's on Sunday March 16th - the day after the Ire vs Eng game in Twickers....
Hard to believe the game finished 0-3, never seen kickers more off-radar. Can't remember a game where there were more yellow cards than points.

If the game had lasted till midnight I doubt if the ref woudl have pinged Young Munster once for offside or crooked lineout. I don't think the hooker threw the ball in straight once in the entire game.
General Collins
Graduate

Post by General Collins »

I know - it's extremely disappointing.

one of the more upsetting things was the actual skills levels on display. Both sides looked scared of playing, the burden of promotion appeared to stifle their play. In over 15 years i've never seen a 0 - 0 half at a home College game.
Both these sides have played fantastic attacking rugby all season and then in front of 1,000+ spectators they fail to deliver.

I think YM did enough to shade it. Their defence around the fringes when just 5 yards from their own try-line mid-way through the second-half was very impressive.

So, that's another year in Div II for College - not a bad thing really as i suspect this side would have been steam-rolled in Div 1.
Best of luck to YM - their travelling support was immense and they are certainly a big enough club to warrant a place in the top tier.
If only you'd given me time,
what a country we'd now live in.......
Leinster Zulu
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinster Zulu »

Lansdowne got a crucial win over Dungannon at the RDS this afternoon - coming out on the right end of a 6-0 scoreline. If we are to stay up then we need to follow this up with a win at Lakelands over Terenure in three weeks' time in the final round of fixtures.

The bottom of the table currently looks like this:

14. Dungannon 19
15. Lansdowne 18
16. Greystones 18

But potentially crucial if all the teams finish level on points 'Stones will survive as they've currently won four matches as to the other two teams' three. Dungannon are away to Ballymena in their final match whereas 'Stones are away to Shannon. So more than likely 'Stones will be down - which is a shame - while it's touch and go as to who'll join them. Bonus points and/or points difference could be crucial.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

UCD got hammered by shannon on saturday. Shannon had too much to play for and UCD f%~k all. Oh well, they've already got more points than ever before in div1, which considering the number of players that left at the start of the season is some achievement.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Saw Tarf go down to Con this afternoon.

Tarf won plenty of ball but didn't do much with it. Con were Scots/Edinburgh like in their playing of the offside line. Tarf were unlucky to give away an intercept try before half-time.

Paul O'Donoghue wasn't playing, was he injured?
msp
Beginner

Transfers

Post by msp »

Anyone know of any of the transfers gone through this year??
mclove
Beginner

Post by mclove »

For some reason, i aint looking forward to this season, lost a few influential people in Coonagh
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

mclove wrote:For some reason, i aint looking forward to this season, lost a few influential people in Coonagh

...including Mick Galway? Did he jump or was he pushed?
mclove
Beginner

Post by mclove »

Well i think he wanted job with Ireland or some sort and Shannon offered director of rugby role or something. Shannon didnt want to be left without any manager seeing as OC were after Moylan too.

I think thats how it went down.
TheGopher
Beginner

Post by TheGopher »

AIB League Fixtures for 08-09 have been announced today.