Marys V Belvo 2008 SCT Final

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

Hammy

Marys V Belvo 2008 SCT Final

Post by Hammy »

Alright - this is a tough one to call. Both teams were underdogs in their respective semis. Marys were brilliant against CBC but not sure what they were like before that. Belvo haven't shown too much, and would be considered lucky to have beaten Clongowes.

What was the result of the marys belvo friendly??

Who will win the final??
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Re: Marys V Belvo 2008 SCT Final

Post by Darce »

Think Mary's might sneek it
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Uncle Mort
Shane Horgan

Post by Uncle Mort »

Darce wrote:Think Mary's might sneek it
They're the dark horses alright and sitting nicely on the rails. Shane Horgan-esque determination as exhibited by young Mr O'Neill will always get a team out of trouble and act as a big lift to the rest. The final won't be a walk over but they've done what they have to so far. It could just be their year.
"I don't think Edinburgh is the place it used to be"
oh no where do we go!
Beginner

Post by oh no where do we go! »

The Friendly betwen them earlier in the season was extremely one sided.

Belvedere ran in 5 tries and took them apart, belvo have in all honesty had the far tougher draw, so while it will be a good match up you have to give a slight edge to belvo.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

i honestly don't think the friendlies matter. cwc beat belvo well in a friendly this year. michaels beat marys well too. the team that wants it more will win it . i liked the way marys played but their celebrations at the end were fairly over the top. i can understand fans getting carried away but the players have another 70 minutes to play... there's nothing to celebrate yet.

i'm tipping belvo to swing it just because they still haven't played well and they'll want to prove themselves. mary's won't have learnt much from the belvo tapes but if belvo can stop that energetic pack of mary's then they could really damage them.

is this going to be an all ticket affair?
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

CBC's cup final was the QF against Michaels.
Mary's final was the win over CBC.
Belvo will win.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

true blue 06 wrote: is this going to be an all ticket affair?
I doubt it, not with an 18k capacity. You never know though. Does anyone know what time kickoff is? And it's on the 16th, right?
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

jrc wrote:
true blue 06 wrote: is this going to be an all ticket affair?
I doubt it, not with an 18k capacity. You never know though. Does anyone know what time kickoff is? And it's on the 16th, right?
Also its on the telly
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
cud
Mullet

Post by cud »

Mary's are probably favourites, but only just. Gotta fancy the team that knocked out CBC.
jrc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by jrc »

cud wrote:Mary's are probably favourites, but only just. Gotta fancy the team that knocked out CBC.
What about the team who knocked out the team who knocked out Rock?? Belvo definitely had a tougher draw....
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Very tough to call. While you could be right in saying that Marys win over CBC was their cup final you could also say that Belvo have had a lot of luck in getting to the final. Marys did get a good deal of luck against CBC but were far more deserving winners than Belvo against Clongowes. I think its interesting that the 2 most lauded teams coming into the semis were beaten, video analysis had a massive part in it I reckon. Marys will get much of the cudos for their performance against CBC so that could be their downfall. And Belvo haven't shown their full hand yet I'd guess so I'll plump for them.

EDIT: Oh yeah rock weren't that good this year in terms of ability. They were driven by 5th years, a good coach and lots of heart from their players. TBH they went above themselves in getting the draw and more credit to them for doing so. They weren't as good in the pack but played unbelievably well in defense and relied on their good backs to get them the draw. Just cause they were Rock doesn't mean they were amazing.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

i missed the first half and missed the tackle everyone is talking aout it... don't suppose there's anyway of seeing it no? mary's lads... is richard bent a representative player?
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
kerpal
Beginner

Post by kerpal »

cj wrote:CBC's cup final was the QF against Michaels.
Belvo will win.

Are u for real???
now being a cbc man im gutted we lost, and to be fair i thought the marys players were ,although understably excited, quite composed afterwards, having the graciousness to ignore the melee of past pupils and going straight to shake hands with our boys.No gloating or anythin like that.
However, Belvo have been through 3 cup finals in my eyes, a last minute win against nure( pitch invasion 1), held up roscrea 3 times and only won by 10 points(glossed over by a last few minutes try), and a last minute win against clongowes )pitch invasion 2!!!

Anyhow, i really hope the guys involved with our sct this year can use the buzz created this year and bring it into next year and hopefully the TOWN will be back in the mix for the senior cup in years to come!!!

and btw true blue, the tackle is a must see, that little fecker oneil.....
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Last edited by bunty85 on May 3rd, 2023, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Ye it wasn't our day, the amount of stuff i heard that didn't go the teams way(freak injury before the game, the wind incident at the start not to mention the unreal chances the lads had). I hope its a catalyst for us finally winning it back, it got rid of a lot of the pesimism surrounding rugby in cbc. Well done to the team for that.

And I hope to God that Marys win, the luck that Belvo have had beggers belief at this stage and some of their supporters are ridiculously arrogant about them winning the 'real' final in the semis.[/quote]

:clap: :clap: :clap: Here Here

Well done to all of the players from the "Town", you have helped to re-ignite rugby in CBC, hopefully some momentum can be built over the coming years.
Also well done to Monty, Ossie, Marty & all of the coaching team, it was good to see the famous Skinner also....
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
o_dricilles
Knowledgeable

Post by o_dricilles »

bunty85 wrote:
kerpal wrote:
Belvo will win.

Are u for real???
now being a cbc man im gutted we lost, and to be fair i thought the marys players were ,although understably excited, quite composed afterwards, having the graciousness to ignore the melee of past pupils and going straight to shake hands with our boys.No gloating or anythin like that.
However, Belvo have been through 3 cup finals in my eyes, a last minute win against nure( pitch invasion 1), held up roscrea 3 times and only won by 10 points(glossed over by a last few minutes try), and a last minute win against clongowes )pitch invasion 2!!!

Anyhow, i really hope the guys involved with our sct this year can use the buzz created this year and bring it into next year and hopefully the TOWN will be back in the mix for the senior cup in years to come!!!

Ye it wasn't our day, the amount of stuff i heard that didn't go the teams way(freak injury before the game, the wind incident at the start not to mention the unreal chances the lads had). I hope its a catalyst for us finally winning it back, it got rid of a lot of the pesimism surrounding rugby in cbc. Well done to the team for that.

And I hope to God that Marys win, the luck that Belvo have had beggers belief at this stage and some of their supporters are ridiculously arrogant about them winning the 'real' final in the semis.
I dont think it's fair to call it luck. They scored well-worked trys at the end of the terenure and cwc games. No luck involved there in my opinion... and please explain this 'ridiculous arrogance' you're on about.
Make new friends with salad.
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Eh well lets see the 1st try against CWC had a forward pass and in the winning try in that game the winger stepped into the dead ball zone. Not to mention the fact that 3 tries were held up against Roscrea, fair play to the team they showed a lot of character to get where they are but have had a good deal of luck to still be in the comp. I've seen all their games in the cup and they've had some good moments but nowhere near what they can play. Now the arrogant supporters I speak of- a poster on this forum said the game on sunday was the 'real' final, rather insulting to the other semi finalist teams and numerous of my college Belvo mates said that was the perceived wisdom around them. Its nothing personal against the Belvo team I'd just prefer to see Marys win(had some luck in the semi mind you) but deserved to win and because they seem to have the most adaptable team in the competition.
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

bunty85 wrote:
kerpal wrote:
Belvo will win.

Are u for real???

And I hope to God that Marys win, the luck that Belvo have had beggers belief at this stage and some of their supporters are ridiculously arrogant about them winning the 'real' final in the semis.
Monkstown lads, we suck!!!!! For the next few years, it'll be the same old story - losing in the 1st round or Quarter-Finals. It doesnt make sense why we never really compete like we did this year because we are roughly the same size school as Michaels, Marys, Terenure etc.

If we get rid of that absolute f%~king w&%ker of a man who is running the school then we will improve but it is also the old guard teachers that are coaching us.

Foxy, how many years coaching the S? Semis were his best result and a runners-up in the League twice (01 & 03). The Vinnie Inch doesnt count because Monkstown should never be in the Competition. We should at least qualify out of our group in the League every year. Also, he doesnt even have a 100% record in the Vinnie, 4 times in the Competition(2003,2005,2006,2007), 4 Finals (03,05,06,07), 3 times Champions (03,05,07). Poor coach.

Having Benny Roe coach anyone is insulting. Real nice guy but a joke of a coach. Leyden = 2 JCTs and out in the 1st round of both (not even to good teams, Roscrea in 2006 and Gonzaga this year). Berry is the definition of negativity and is a hindrance rather than a help. Ferguson hasnt had great results but he is young, a CBC man and understands rugby. Walsh looks like he has given up which is a shame (1998 Junior League Champs). Monty did a good job this year with Corcoran and others. It is a shame DK is leaving especially from a rugby point of view. After the 6th years leave, there is nothing keeping him there. He is not liked by the other teachers and he isnt allowed coach rugby even though he won the Junior League in 2005 with these 6th years.

A good Monkstown team comes along every 7-10 years. There was this year then in 2000 we lost to Terenure 28-22 in the semis and before that? 1984? 1976? We have produced some very good players but not very good players in the same year like we had this year. Even last year was a good team. When they were Js in 2004 they had a good run beating Roscrea and Belvo before losing to eventual winners Rock in the semis, 0-0 at half time. There is potential in CBC and a lot of it but the kids need to be coached properly.

The Cup won't be coming to CBC for quite some time unless Keating f%~ks off, Foxy, Benny and Jazzy are never on a rugby field again and we leave it to the young coaches like DK, Monty, Corcoran and Ferguson. Also, if we are to succeed we need some proffesional coaches for our Js and especially the SCT.

Anyway, thats my rant
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Last edited by bunty85 on May 3rd, 2023, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.