Schools Cup Games Under Lights?

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

thebigcheese
Beginner

Schools Cup Games Under Lights?

Post by thebigcheese »

Have there ever been any Senior or Junior Cup games played under lights? Given the popularity of these games, it surely makes sense to play them in the evening when those of us who work could go and watch them. Apart from the games on Setanta, this is the only place where I can keep up with how games have gone, but if they were played on Weekday evenings after 5pm, more past pupils would attend. I'm pretty sure that most school kids would still go.
oh no where do we go!
Beginner

Re: Schools Cup Games Under Lights?

Post by oh no where do we go! »

the way schools rugby is going we may see a 'friday night lights' type scenario in the future
Phil
Beginner

Post by Phil »

They'll never take our half days away!!
bgmusic
Knowledgeable

Post by bgmusic »

The second half of the JCT game between Belvedere and St.Marys on Jan.31 was played under lights because of the weather conditions.
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

Phil wrote:They'll never take our half days away!!
Funny but I dont care anymore since I'm in 6th year. I think it would be great. The League Final between Andrews and Monkstown was in Seapoint under lights - a brilliant occasion!!! There was so many past pupils at the game which made the atmosphere better on the CBC side. Dont know about the Andrews side but it looked crowded on their side also.
Even better because we won!!!
kerpal
Beginner

Post by kerpal »

ye would be good, to be honest most games are under lights u just dont notice!!! nighttime kickoffs wud be interesting tho, but wudnt suit the people who matter, the players, they wudnt be used to playing and training so late and to be honest i think leaving a player on final day wait for 12 hours till kick off would be torture!!
Forget about the supporters and past pupils, its not about what suits them!
ruggerbugger
Beginner

Post by ruggerbugger »

kerpal wrote:ye would be good, to be honest most games are under lights u just dont notice!!! nighttime kickoffs wud be interesting tho, but wudnt suit the people who matter, the players, they wudnt be used to playing and training so late and to be honest i think leaving a player on final day wait for 12 hours till kick off would be torture!!
Forget about the supporters and past pupils, its not about what suits them!
Ye, but the Cup is a money making operation and the Leinster Branch must see the potential increase in gate receipts if kickoffs were later.