Quoting Posts

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

Eve
Mullet Moderator

Quoting Posts

Post by Eve »

Oscar wrote:And what's with the "You may only embed 3 quotes" business?
Stops people endlessly quoting through the thread and making other people's brains bleed
Summer is ready when you are

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Re: Leicester rugby club hits sponsorship jackpot

Post by Danthefan »

Eve wrote:
Stops people endlessly quoting through the thread and making other people's brains bleed
But now unclosed quote tags and not being immediately sure who's written what it making our brains bleed. :(
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Danthefan wrote:
Eve wrote:
But now unclosed quote tags and not being immediately sure who's written what it making our brains bleed. :(
Not sure there's much we can do about that - except maybe run a posting tutorial. Perhaps people should prove they've mastered the basics in the test forum before they're let loose on the rest of the board :lol:

Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Eve wrote:
Danthefan wrote:
Eve wrote:
Not sure there's much we can do about that - except maybe run a posting tutorial. Perhaps people should prove they've mastered the basics in the test forum before they're let loose on the rest of the board :lol:

If it's a choice between too many quotes, and unclosed quote tags, I'd pick the former every time. i'm no web-designer, but there must be a way of setting the forum to delete the 4th quote itself as the post is created, mustn't there?

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Bank of Ireland Leinster jersey, and I hope Canterbury keep making our jerseys for many years to come.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

To continue the quotes discussion, the quote function on boards.ie does not seem to nest quotes at all. When you quote a message it quotes that message only and will not quote anything quoted in that message (if you get me). I've no idea how hard that would be to do but it's a good system.
RuggieBear
Bookworm

Post by RuggieBear »

Danthefan wrote:To continue the quotes discussion, the quote function on boards.ie does not seem to nest quotes at all. When you quote a message it quotes that message only and will not quote anything quoted in that message (if you get me). I've no idea how hard that would be to do but it's a good system.
boards.ie uses vBulletin while Lf.com uses phpBB...not sure if phpBB allows you to modify the quotes in the admin cp but i'm sure at worst there is a hack/mod to allow you to do it.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

temp

Post by Danthefan »

Case in point here:

What is the story with this sites obsession with discussing the ramifications of things that have not yet happened... Danthefan last week - Munster will win the HEC because Heymans has a shocker but no one will be allowed to point this out. Post above - so you think Carter and some of the NZ back-row will expose O' Gara's defense? Fair enough. But then this stuff about the reaction against the Leinster players for something that has not yet happened... well it's just bizarre. Particularly, in this instance, because ROG's defense was exposed the last time he was in NZ and nobody (correctly) pointed the finger at our 12 on the day - Leisnter's Gordon D'arcy.

Can the moderators please stop people turning threads into Munster v Leinster.[/quote]
This is a Munster Messageboard isn't??????????????????[/quote]

i think sin a bhfuil makes a very valid point.. lads whats the obsession with munster and fantastic conspiracies?
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

RuggieBear wrote:
Danthefan wrote:To continue the quotes discussion, the quote function on boards.ie does not seem to nest quotes at all. When you quote a message it quotes that message only and will not quote anything quoted in that message (if you get me). I've no idea how hard that would be to do but it's a good system.
boards.ie uses vBulletin while Lf.com uses phpBB...not sure if phpBB allows you to modify the quotes in the admin cp but i'm sure at worst there is a hack/mod to allow you to do it.
phpBB 3 allows me to specify the maximum number of quoted posts allowed, but puts the responsibililty on the poster to make sure that they don't exceed that number.

Also, because phpBB 3 is still fairly new, there are very few hacks out there for anything at all and I'm not sure that I could be bothered to hack the code myslef.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

limecat wrote:
...puts the responsibililty on the poster....
There's your problem!
RuggieBear
Bookworm

Re: Quoting Posts

Post by RuggieBear »

ah grand... TBH i'm more used to the one quote box from Boards but i see the usefulness of the quote upon quote system utilised here
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Re: temp

Post by Eve »

Danthefan wrote:Case in point here:

What is the story with this sites obsession with discussing the ramifications of things that have not yet happened... Danthefan last week - Munster will win the HEC because Heymans has a shocker but no one will be allowed to point this out. Post above - so you think Carter and some of the NZ back-row will expose O' Gara's defense? Fair enough. But then this stuff about the reaction against the Leinster players for something that has not yet happened... well it's just bizarre. Particularly, in this instance, because ROG's defense was exposed the last time he was in NZ and nobody (correctly) pointed the finger at our 12 on the day - Leisnter's Gordon D'arcy.

Can the moderators please stop people turning threads into Munster v Leinster.[/quote
This is a Munster Messageboard isn't??????????????????[/quote

i think sin a bhfuil makes a very valid point.. lads whats the obsession with munster and fantastic conspiracies?
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok - you've made your point :lol:

We'll take a look at this again. I don't think we should remove the quote limit altogether (do you not remember Zulu and D4's 'conversations' last year) but perhaps we could increase the number of quotes allowed so that brain bleed inducing moments such as that above happen less frequently.....

meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

It's a threaded forum, so surely a given thread is contextual enough to realise the flow of the conversation? If so, then you shouldn't need to quote more than 1 person. Why? Because you're either replying directly to one opinion/point (using 'quote' for targeted context), or more generally to the thread (with no quote). If there's a running theme through the thread, then those reading the thread will be aware of it, so there should be no need to reply to A who was replying to B (as that, by definition has now evolved in the thread context, rather than an individual point being addressed). Etiquette on BBS (them were the days), extremely busy forums and mailing lists (where anyone bothers to define the etiquette) all seem to follow that principle.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

We thought 3 would be plenty but it's become obvious it isn't.......

meinster
Rhys Ruddock

Post by meinster »

Well, one quick fix that could delay the etiquette debate would be to add a newline after each opening and closing tag (which should be easily done).. that way, it's much harder to screw nested quotes up. Still possible, no doubt, but less likely now, at least.
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A paedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert"
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass I know you guys have better things to do with your time but is this being looked at again at all? It's happenening so often now, you start reading something to find [/quote] at the end of the sentance.
Eve
Mullet Moderator

Post by Eve »

Danthefan wrote:I don't mean to be a pain in the ass I know you guys have better things to do with your time but is this being looked at again at all? It's happenening so often now, you start reading something to find "/quote" at the end of the sentance.
It's fairly annoying alright but we need to get a balance between not having ridiculous amounts of quotes which people have done in the past (and which is particularly annoying on Blackberrys and such like I'm told) and forcing people to edit multiple quotes which is causing the errors. I may try and up the limit for a while and see how we get on.......

Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Eve wrote:
Danthefan wrote:I don't mean to be a pain in the ass I know you guys have better things to do with your time but is this being looked at again at all? It's happenening so often now, you start reading something to find "/quote" at the end of the sentance.
It's fairly annoying alright but we need to get a balance between not having ridiculous amounts of quotes which people have done in the past (and which is particularly annoying on Blackberrys and such like I'm told) and forcing people to edit multiple quotes which is causing the errors. I may try and up the limit for a while and see how we get on.......
Even upping it to 4 quotes (on a trial basis) would help a lot I reckon.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I'd be more in favour of going the other way and limiting the size and number of quotes. I know it's a minor complaint but when reading the boards on a balckberry (rather than have them appear on the internet log in work) it's a pain when someone quotes an entire lengthy post just to applaud or say "exactly" or even address just one point in the post.

Of course intelligent quoting from intelligent users would remove the problem and would also remove the multiple embedded quotes issue.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Broken Wing wrote:
Of course intelligent quoting from intelligent users would remove the problem and would also remove the multiple embedded quotes issue.
Exactly :clap: :clap: :clap:
A proud Winsome Fluter
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Certainly it would help if people didn't quote entire articles and selected the parts they wished to reference. If anyone's unsure of how to do it try it out in the test area
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4