for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Re: Ryder Cup

Post by Flash Gordon »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Project Scorpio wrote:http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlojsnidcw/

ye, agree, can't believe he picked Chad Campbell over rocco mediate, CC hasn't played well for a couple of years, sean ohair is a great player, also hunter mahan after all his comments - terrible team - will probably be the one time they gel and whoop us
Yep, can't help but think Faldo will be another Mark James :(
I was in the lounge at the airport as the picks were announced on Sunday. Ian Woosnam was sitting beside me. He made it pretty clear that he thought Clarkey should have been picked, that the way the wild cards had been handled was a bucket of shoite and .....well, probably best to say that he took the "majority view" in his opinion on Faldo.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Project Scorpio wrote:http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhqlojsnidcw/

ye, agree, can't believe he picked Chad Campbell over rocco mediate, CC hasn't played well for a couple of years, sean ohair is a great player, also hunter mahan after all his comments - terrible team - will probably be the one time they gel and whoop us
Yep, can't help but think Faldo will be another Mark James :(
Very much the vibe at the moment. I wonder if he's pick the same eight players for all his fourballs and foursomes (including both his best chums) and leave another four (non-English of course) players to the mercy of the singles on the lads day. Cause after all, he's "his own man!". :roll:

While I'm not hugely impressed with Azinger's wildcard pics, I still think he'll be the type of fiery captain to get his team going. There's still a fair bit of quality on that team in Mickelson, Cink, Furyk, Kim and Leonard. With a very boisterous crowd (that will apparantly make that shower at Brookline look like the Royal and Ancient Club) things could get very tricky. In the face of that you'd hope the camararderie of the team will pull them through. But will that be there with this captain as he swans around flirting with his beloved little Poulter, while the rest of the team stand there shuffling uncomfortably.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

well, we all rememeber the Stennsen incidents last time out...look how that worked out
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:well, we all rememeber the Stennsen incidents last time out...look how that worked out
Eh? :?
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:well, we all rememeber the Stennsen incidents last time out...look how that worked out
I assume Darce is talking about Henrik Stenson, who holed the winning putt in the K club. Not sure what incident he is referring to though
A proud Winsome Fluter
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Faldo is a c~*k but hates losing. I think Europe will be without a lot of the team spirit and partnerships of past tournaments, but won't implode. The US is a lot stronger than people say. Most of those guys are capable of incredible hot streaks and the Zinger will be a good captain. Kim, Curtis, Furyk, Mickelson, Cink are all guys that you'd know you had your work cut out to beat in a singles game. Kim could be the star of the whole show and Curtis is back to his Open winning form.

I think there'll be a point and a half in it at most and not sure which side will do it, maybe Europe by a hair.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Grumpy Old Man wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
I assume Darce is talking about Henrik Stenson, who holed the winning putt in the K club. Not sure what incident he is referring to though
Oh I know it's Stenson, but I can't recall him doing anything controversial. He qualified for the team and was a model pro by all accounts. Sunk the winning putt.

Unless he's thinking of Thomas Byorn, who was left out and who criticised Woosie, perhaps?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Donny B. wrote:Unless he's thinking of Thomas Byorn, who was left out and who criticised Woosie, perhaps?
Bjorn... thats the one.

My apologies
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Unless he's thinking of Thomas Byorn, who was left out and who criticised Woosie, perhaps?
Bjorn... thats the one.

My apologies
Ah right, although in that case the only real person criticising Woosie was Byorn himself, who came across as a bit of a spoilt child. There was very little criticism of Woodward and Clarke as the picks from the media IIRC.
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Donny B. wrote:
Darce wrote:
Bjorn... thats the one.

My apologies
Ah right, although in that case the only real person criticising Woosie was Byorn himself, who came across as a bit of a spoilt child. There was very little criticism of Woodward and Clarke as the picks from the media IIRC.
I assume you mean WESTWOOD?

Bjorn apologised within days of his comments so he's forgiven in my books.

That does lead me on to another thing, I note the way Henrik Stenson holed the winning putt but Sky Sports and the BBC spent weeks analyzing times to see if they could prove that Luke Donald was the one who holed the winning putt. I mean, christ almighty, both channels make a huge deal about the team morale but always try to find ways to do their Best is British bullsh1t ... also sticking in that little, "Luke Donald could well have holed the winning putt, oh and did we mention, he's English."
When Google can't find something, they Norris it.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Colm wrote:
I assume you mean WESTWOOD?

Bjorn apologised within days of his comments so he's forgiven in my books.
No I meant Edward Woodward, he was always a great equalizer! :P :oops:

Yeah Westwood of course. Bjorn did apologise later alright, but I'm not sure if it was that quickly and I believe it remains a sore point between him and Woosie.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Buzz really starting to build up now.

Trying to focus on the team and forget about Faldo.
Jesus, he's such an embarrasment. Every time he opens his gob trying to funny and wacky he comes across a really creepy Uncle. He actually reminds me of Pat Kenny! :?

But feck him, who are the foursomes going to be?

From the BBC!

Faldo was pictured with a piece of paper with some of his team's initials on, which he joked was the lunch list.

But he later revealed they were Thursday's practice pairings.

"OK, I've been caught - I learned a lesson," he said. "You now know the pairings and we are going to play foursomes on the front nine."

Faldo's note paired Sergio Garcia with Lee Westwood, and Padraig Harrington with Robert Karlsson.

Underneath them were the initials of Justin Rose, Ian Poulter, Graeme McDowell and Paul Casey, then on the next line Oliver Wilson, Soren Hansen and Miguel Angel Jimenez. Henrik Stenson's name was missing.

In another photo, Stenson's name appeared on its own underneath Harrington and Karlsson, with Casey's name absent.

Meanwhile, video footage showed an entirely different line-up, with Westwood and Hansen together, Garcia with fellow Spaniard Jimenez, and Harrington with McDowell.

Faldo first addressed the issue in a light-hearted manner, saying the note was "sandwich requests for the guys, just making sure who wants the tuna, who wants the beef, who wants the ham."

When pressed further on the issue, he said: "I haven't put numbers next to them yet, have I? We don't know what order they're going out in, so I'm safe.

"And that was on the seventh tee. If the photographer was on the 13th or 14th it all changed, so it's all different now."

But when he was asked about it again, Faldo, who became increasingly irritated during an uncomfortable news conference, finally explained the notes referred to Thursday's practice pairings.

BBC Radio 5 Live correspondent Iain Carter, who attended the news conference, said it was the first sign of cracks in Faldo's captaincy.

"Faldo struggled to keep his composure after his initial joke that the list was the players' lunch requirements had frankly fallen flat.

"His attempts to dissolve the significance of the footage coming to light were far from convincing.

"This, for the first time, is a sign that the Europe captain is feeling the pressure. Will it have an effect on the match? Probably not, but the inevitable critical headlines certainly don't help."

Meanwhile, American captain Paul Azinger says he has already decided who he will send out for Friday morning's foursomes and the afternoon's fourballs.

Since the same three groups were sent out for practice together again on Wednesday, the pairings are starting to emerge.

Kentucky pair Kenny Perry and JB Holmes played with Jim Furyk and Boo Weekley, while Stewart Cink and Steve Stricker took on Ben Curtis and Chad Campbell.

Three-time major winner Phil Mickelson and Anthony Kim then teamed up with Hunter Mahan and Justin Leonard.
All the way back logue
Graduate

Post by All the way back logue »

i reckon Faldo is trying to do a bluff with that piece of paper - he seems more intent on the mind games than anything else - im worried that he's more obsessed with a Faldo victory than a European victory.

I reckon he'll go with

Sergio/Jiminez
Karlson/Stenson
Westwood/Rose
Padraig/McDowell

I think its a very strong looking European team this year
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Wasn't too keen on him (Faldo) until this evening. Seems ok. Must say that usually overseas Bands make a hash of our Anthem. tonight the local high school band played it well. BRING IT ON!!!!!!! (now how do I manage the match tomorrow night AND Ryder cup at same time)
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

icebaby wrote:Wasn't too keen on him (Faldo) until this evening. Seems ok. Must say that usually overseas Bands make a hash of our Anthem. tonight the local high school band played it well. BRING IT ON!!!!!!! (now how do I manage the match tomorrow night AND Ryder cup at same time)
You think? Thought it was pretty cringe inducing myself! As for the anthem, well at least they didn't bring out a guy to sing it in English, like they did four years ago!
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Donny B. wrote:
icebaby wrote:Wasn't too keen on him (Faldo) until this evening. Seems ok. Must say that usually overseas Bands make a hash of our Anthem. tonight the local high school band played it well. BRING IT ON!!!!!!! (now how do I manage the match tomorrow night AND Ryder cup at same time)
You think? Thought it was pretty cringe inducing myself! As for the anthem, well at least they didn't bring out a guy to sing it in English, like they did four years ago!
Oooh glad I missed that rendition. RE mr Faldo , maybe I just expeted him to be really bad. He mixed up a a few things but sounded like someone more used to playing than talking.
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

RYDER CUP OPENING FOURSOMES
Mickelson/Kim v H'ngton/Karlsson
Leonard/Mahan v Stenson/Casey
Cink/Campbell v Rose/Poulter
Perry/Furyk v Westwood/Garcia

Surprised Jiminez is left out. Three pretty strong pairings, Rose and Poulter could be suspect
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

icebaby wrote:
Donny B. wrote:
Oooh glad I missed that rendition. RE mr Faldo , maybe I just expeted him to be really bad. He mixed up a a few things but sounded like someone more used to playing than talking.
Jaysus, I thought that was the worst speech ever, he talked pure waffle forever & then spent five minutes telling us about his family. The guy is so caught up in himself he has'nt got a clue...

As for the pairings, I think Harrington & Karlsson will struggle, so will Rose & Poulter, but Europe should win the other 2 games....
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

silly punt wrote:
Jaysus, I thought that was the worst speech ever, he talked pure waffle forever & then spent five minutes telling us about his family. The guy is so caught up in himself he has'nt got a clue...

As for the pairings, I think Harrington & Karlsson will struggle, so will Rose & Poulter, but Europe should win the other 2 games....
I missed half of it (thankfully) but got in in time to hear him introduce Harrington with the words - "He hits more golf balls than they plant potatos in Ireland" :roll: What a tool!

Why do you think Harrington and Karlsson will struggle btw, to my mind it's a very strong pairing.
silly punt
Enlightened

Post by silly punt »

Donny B. wrote:
silly punt wrote:

I missed half of it (thankfully) but got in in time to hear him introduce Harrington with the words - "He hits more golf balls than they plant potatos in Ireland" :roll: What a tool!

Why do you think Harrington and Karlsson will struggle btw, to my mind it's a very strong pairing.
It's more the opposition than the pairing, I think Kim is a serious operator & Mickelson can be majestic around the greens which is what you need for foursomes. If they can get a half it would be a great start, hopefully I'm wrong & they win it.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their failures