Schools Rugby 2008-09

Forum for the discussion of Irish Club, Schools, Womens and all underage Rugby in Ireland.

Moderator: moderators

thebigcheese
Beginner

Schools Rugby 2008-09

Post by thebigcheese »

New season starting. Who are the teams to look out for this year at Senior and Junior level. I presume Rock will go in as favorites at both levels. Their seniors won the Juniors Cup 3 years ago at a canter if I remember and their juniors are supposedly unbeaten since 13s. What about the rest. Nure must be due a good cup team soon and Clongowes seem to be getting back to their 1990s form. Is there a CBC type team out their to challenge. I remember Pres Bray having a brilliant Junior team 3 years ago and blowing it but I assume there has been the now customary annual exit of their best players on scholarships. Gonzaga had a couple of really good years too. It would be great to see Roscrea building on their recent good form at Junior level.

Is there any hope for a return to standard from Wesley, Templeogue, High School, Kings Hos and CUS. It seems to be the league semi finalists (at Junior and Senior) most years come from Gonzaga, CBC, Pres Bray, St Andrews and Roscrea with Newbridge and St Gerards scraping through the odd time.

Any good friendlies coming up that might be worth heading along to?
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Re: Schools Rugby 2008-09

Post by jaybyrne »

i would fancy rock for the senior cup and clongowes for the junior
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Yet again, my blinding faith says CUS all they way in the SCT and beaten finalists in the JCT.
Get in the f%~king bag.
its about winning
Bookworm

Post by its about winning »

Leinster League

Group 1

Skerries
Newbridge
Roscrea
Kings Hospital
Templeogue
Pres Bray
CUS
Wesley

Group 2
St. Andrews
Kilkenny
St. Gerards
Columbas
CBC Monkstown

Gonzaga & Castleknock might be the other 2 teams - not sure.
1st/2nd in both groups go into semi final:
North side living - south side educated
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

cus hav a good chance in the jct
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

The CUS JCT are very, very strong this year. they've beaten most of the big schools at U14 level and have been training very hard this summer. They have two very good coaches and I'd expect to see them go on a run this season
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

Its Rock all the way in this years seniors i'm afraid. Its not that they're an incredibly talented team, just that everyone else is on a level below. Rock are hungry too, been dumped out of the cup at the q-final stage 2 years in a row will hurt. Zaga made the Jct final against rock in 06 but if im honest a large reason is that everybody else wasn't up to it at J level and they had a good draw. They'll be contenders for sure though(with them not playin league too gives them a huge advantage), they should probably make the semi finals for the 1st time in zaga history. I do remember Pres having a good team at J level(although they'll be hoping that have their team hasn't left like last time they had a good team). The league should come down between them, KK and CBC. Although CBC lost nearly all their 'star' players this year they wont go away, they have a good system in place and a few handy players left over.
thebigcheese
Beginner

Post by thebigcheese »

CUS being talked up on this forum. Now there is a surprise!! As big a fan as I am of them, beating teams at under 14 level doesn't mean anything. They need to be kept grounded. Its not as if our rugby teams can compare to our cricket teams!! Good to hear that they will be competitive though
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

rock to win the senior cup with ease.... rock/marys and michaels to contest the junior cup
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

thebigcheese wrote:CUS being talked up on this forum. Now there is a surprise!! As big a fan as I am of them, beating teams at under 14 level doesn't mean anything. They need to be kept grounded. Its not as if our rugby teams can compare to our cricket teams!! Good to hear that they will be competitive though
Face the facts oh Grande Fromage - the CUS will kick ass this year, they were just finding their feet last year. you mark my words, tenner to win on CUS please, mr p. power.
Get in the f%~king bag.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

clongowes are better than blackrock next year at jct
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

jaybyrne wrote:clongowes are better than blackrock next year at jct

yeah actually i've heard they are strong again this year
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

Livestrong7
Bookworm

Post by Livestrong7 »

Basically if u have any sort of money head down to the bookies and put a bet on rock to win....there sensational
'I've played for this team for ten years some guys for 11 or 12 and I've loved every minute of it...It was worth the wait. I love Leinster and i couldn't have won it with a better bunch of players' Brian O'Driscoll.
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

anyone got any preseason friendly results??
bunty85
Knowledgeable

Post by bunty85 »

…0
Last edited by bunty85 on May 3rd, 2023, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
pulldownthemaul
Beginner

Post by pulldownthemaul »

What were the results of the Junior Cup three years ago (who will now be playing SCT) ?
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

pulldownthemaul wrote:What were the results of the Junior Cup three years ago (who will now be playing SCT) ?

rock walked it, most of the big schools were on their side of the draw too, gonzaga managed to get to the final and lost 36-0 to rock or something like that
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

thebigcheese
Beginner

Post by thebigcheese »

true blue 06 wrote:

Thats all grand at under 14 level as CUS also beat them last year but juniors is a different story
choran

Post by choran »

thebigcheese wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:

Thats all grand at under 14 level as CUS also beat them last year but juniors is a different story
You've got to bear in mind that clongowes would've had a fair few u14's on the jct last year too.
Steamtrain
Beginner

Post by Steamtrain »

thebigcheese wrote:
true blue 06 wrote:
jaybyrne wrote:yeah actually i've heard they are strong again this year
You've got to bear in mind that clongowes would've had a fair few u14's on the jct last year too.
1 minute before 10 o' clock on a Saturday night? I thought they shut your cages at 8pm?
Day 6 :

The sickness runs deep doctor. The disease is spreading like wildfire but people choose to ignore it and deny it is real.