UFC - Any thoughts?

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Re: UFC - Any thoughts?

Post by RoboProp »

Just wondering what are people's favourite fights and fighters?
Fighters for me
Mir, Forrest, GSP, BJ Penn and Marcus Davis.

Fights just off the top of my head
Mir V Sylvia (if you haven't seen it check it out!)
GSP V anyone
Frank Shamrock V Igor Zinoviev (first time anyone was knocked out with a slam) other good slam KO incl Tito V Tanner (RIP) and Matt Huges V Carlos Newton
And Forrest V Shogun Rua.
They're just off top of my head. I should try and do a more detailed list.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Favourite fighters: Cro Cop, Bisping, Anderson Silva.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

Fighters:
Fedor Emelianenko - The best fighter on the planet for the last 10 years
Mauricio Shogun Rua - legend, rumours are he'll be next to fight Machida
Machida - see ufc 98
gsp - never in a dull fight
Wanderlai 'the axe murderer' Silva - all his pride fights - animal
anderson silva - amazing fighter - can't wait to see him fight forrest griffen on Aug 8th @ ufc 101
Randy couture - legend - see tito fight or tim silvia
chuck - legend
Hughes - legend
Damien Maia - best brazilian jujitsu in mma - see http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=13103
brock lesnar - 285lbs and started his fight v herring with a sprint & flying knee :shock: can't wait for mir v brock
CroCop - right leg knocks you out, left leg puts you in hospital :lol:
John 'Bones' Jones - only a young fella but like his style - see last fight v Bonnar - http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=12682

Fights:
Forrest Griffen V Stephan Bonnar - 1st Ulimate Fighter final - saved UFC by getting them a tv deal, 3 round stand up war - dana gave them both 6 fig contracts when it was only supposed to be the winner - http://www.megavideo.com/?v=JVALJEFB
Matt Hughes v Frank Trigg 2 - amazing fight - http://www.mmalinker.com/xExternal.php?vidid=16134
Randy couture v Tim silvia - hate silvia, massive size diff and randy kicked his hoop for 5 full rounds, magic
Rampage Jackson v Ricardo Arona - best slam KO ever - can't find link sorry
fedor v anyone - see v kevin randleman for best recovery from worst(best) slam ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_uw6g4T ... r_embedded

DVD: this dvd is great for seeing how good fighters were in Pride :
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/718452/P ... oduct.html a bargain
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Isaac4leinster wrote:Favourite fighters: Cro Cop, Bisping, Anderson Silva.
I'm not a huge fan of The Count Bisping, i think he's been protected by ufc and dana white and will get his hole kicked by Dan Henderson
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Project Scorpio wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of The Count Bisping, i think he's been protected by ufc and dana white and will get his hole kicked by Dan Henderson
Have to agree I dont have much gra for The Count either. Matt Hamill was robbed at UFC 75. I believe you are right in that he is being protected by Dana (so that the UK market can grow). Hate Tim Sylvia too. Has anybody read the books of Tito, Chuck or Matt Hughes? I think Chuck's book is the best. Hughes is a bit of a jerk as is Tito but there is something you have to respect about the both of them in fairness.

Randy is another favourite of mine. Love it in UFC 44 where he gives Tito a spanking...literally! :lol:
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:
Project Scorpio wrote:
Have to agree I dont have much gra for The Count either. Matt Hamill was robbed at UFC 75. I believe you are right in that he is being protected by Dana (so that the UK market can grow). Hate Tim Sylvia too. Has anybody read the books of Tito, Chuck or Matt Hughes? I think Chuck's book is the best. Hughes is a bit of a jerk as is Tito but there is something you have to respect about the both of them in fairness.

Randy is another favourite of mine. Love it in UFC 44 where he gives Tito a spanking...literally! :lol:
Have to disagree. Heard about the Hamill fight and watched it later on internet, wanting to see what people were talking about and for me Bisping was a clear winner. The conspiracy theory that he is being protected to keep UK interest high is nonsense. His only loss is to Evans who before 98 was unbeaten? Think hes quality. Not the full package yet granted.

Fighters I hate Randy. Hughes, is a egotistical, arrogant tool. Agree with Serra on him. I quite like Tito, showed his true side as a TUF coach, as did Shamrock who is a tool. I hated Matt Linland above all else. What a lemon.

One of my favourite fights is Bobb Sapp versus Kimo in K1. Hilaruous! Forrest Bonner obviously. Not that many spring to mind.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

All Sapps fights are a farce, he's fighting Bobby Lashley in the next couple of months, will be hilarious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sapp
v
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Lashley

Mongos.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Project Scorpio wrote:All Sapps fights are a farce, he's fighting Bobby Lashley in the next couple of months, will be hilarious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Sapp
v
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Lashley

Mongos.
yes, Sapp is a freak, thats mainly why he so popular with the Japenese. Some of those k1 fights are closest thing you can get to Street Fighter II in real life. Some of them are there just because of their size, like that Korean dude 7'4. Sapp is always worth a watch though.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Thats Choi Hong-Man from South Korea, he's 7-3 and approx 330lbs. Also he just fought in the DREAM 'Super Hulk' Tournament against Josè Canseco(yes, none other than that Baseball player who was in the Simpsons) who is 44 yrs old and i think only about 220lbs :shock:

..C&P'd..
Choi Hong-man (2-2) beat Jose Canseco (0-1) in 1:17. Choi weighed 330 to 253 for Canseco. Canseco, 44, showed
up with very limited training. In fact, his entire entourage consisted of one person, girlfriend Heidi Northcutt, who he then
proposed to after he got his ass kicked. I don't know if she gave him an answer. He claimed after the fact that he got his
right knee injured in training and thus was limited in what he could do. Canseco came out to the song 'Wild Thing'• which
in Japan is noted as 1990s Atsushi Onita entrance music, but the music was actually chosen because it was the theme
to the movie 'Major League'• He was actually a lot quicker than the lethargic giant, landed an overhand right and even
some sidekicks. Choi reacted like Andre the Giant in a 70s TV jobber match. Choi grabbed a clinch and went for a knee,
but Canseco got out of the way. However, when Choi hit a jab, Canseco started running. In running away, he tripped on
the ropes, stumbled, and hurt his knee. Still, he threw a kick to Choi's thigh, and then Canseco went down, with the knee
given out. Choi started with the ground and pound and Canseco tapped out. Canseco got a reported six-figure payday
for this. As ridiculous as the idea was, and of him running away looked, he did probably better than anyone could have
expected. Although the pre-surgery Choi would have hurt him bad, as would have anyone else in this tournament.
future international
Enlightened

Post by future international »

Tony Buckley is roughly the same size as Sapp
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

future international wrote:Tony Buckley is roughly the same size as Sapp
Yes but not half as lazy as Sapp.....oh wait, Buckley did you say?
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Bobb Sapp, fighting ability aside is a freak athlete, his proportions and his relative body fat are ridiculous.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Isaac4leinster wrote:
Bobb Sapp, fighting ability aside is a freak athlete, his proportions and his relative body fat are ridiculous.
Yes, Sapps ability to take copious amounts of steroids is legendary, as far as fighting goes though he's pjss poor, he also fought on that Super Hulk DREAM 9 show

1. Minowaman (42-30-8) beat Bob Sapp (10-4-1) in 1:15. Sapp went to Japan at 370 pounds, flying out right after the
press conference in Biloxi for the Bobby Lashley fight. Instead of promoting the show everywhere, he went to the
mountains in seclusion to the national judo facility and worked strictly on conditioning. He weighed in at 319 pounds (he
had told me he expected to get to 330 to 340 and hopefully with stamina he's lacked in the past). But the added stamina
didn't help him. Minowaman, at 196 pounds, is a big crowd favorite whether he wins or loses, which is why he's on so
many shows. It's amazing that a guy can lose to Katsuyori Shibata and come back and beat Sapp. Minowaman went for
the takedown, but Sapp was on top and tried an armbar and Kimura. Minowaman then reversed him, grabbed a leg and
used an Achilles tendon lock for the submission. Crowd was really into both guys.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Sapp by name and by nature. I think Matt Hughes is a bigger freak of nature. The guy is made out of granite. In his book he claims he handed Lesnar his orse. Granted Brock had no MMA experience at time but still some feat guy is twice his size
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:Sapp by name and by nature. I think Matt Hughes is a bigger freak of nature. The guy is made out of granite. In his book he claims he handed Lesnar his orse. Granted Brock had no MMA experience at time but still some feat guy is twice his size
Knowing that w&%ker Hughes ego it probably b*%&!x. Lesnar was one the best collegic wrestlers of his generation and I doubt anyone would completely own him, jujitsu aside.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Isaac4leinster wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Sapp by name and by nature. I think Matt Hughes is a bigger freak of nature. The guy is made out of granite. In his book he claims he handed Lesnar his orse. Granted Brock had no MMA experience at time but still some feat guy is twice his size
Knowing that w&%ker Hughes ego it probably b*%&!x. Lesnar was one the best collegic wrestlers of his generation and I doubt anyone would completely own him, jujitsu aside.
It was with Jits that he took him out with allegedly. Lesnar was a NCAA champion which is no small feat. Lashley was an accomplished collegiate wreslter as well. Think he is training with American Top Team at the moment. I wonder if he will make the transition to the success Brock did?

On a different topic do any pubs show the UFC PPVs? I would love to have a couple of pints and watch UFC100 on a big screen. That would be sweet.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:
It was with Jits that he took him out with allegedly. Lesnar was a NCAA champion which is no small feat. Lashley was an accomplished collegiate wreslter as well. Think he is training with American Top Team at the moment. I wonder if he will make the transition to the success Brock did?

On a different topic do any pubs show the UFC PPVs? I would love to have a couple of pints and watch UFC100 on a big screen. That would be sweet.
In crowes after a good few magners league games UFC was on the telly. I think its free to air once you pay for setanta. Isn't it?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I would really like a pub that put it on the big screens etc. Are there any Dublin based UFC fan clubs? The card for 100 is really shaping up. I hope Hendo hands Bipsing his orse...sorry I4L
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

RoboProp wrote:I would really like a pub that put it on the big screens etc. Are there any Dublin based UFC fan clubs? The card for 100 is really shaping up. I hope Hendo hands Bipsing his orse...sorry I4L
Don't think so, apart from the fact it's live on Setanta at 3am as the event is in Vegas, I have never seen it on in any pubs, it's not that big...yet.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I see that Kimbo Slice is going to be a participant on the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, the guy is a wannabe. Reckon he will get his backside handed to him.