Team for Southern Kings

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Team for Southern Kings

Post by Xanthippe »

British & Irish Lions vs Southern Kings

15. Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland)
14. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England)
13. Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland) :D :green clap: :D
11. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster/Ireland)
10. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
9. Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland)

8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
7. Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England)
6. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
5. Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland) captain :shock:
4. Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England)
3. Euan Murray (Northampton/Scotland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks/England)

Replacements

16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
18. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
19. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
20. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
21. Ronan O'Gara (Munster/Ireland)
22. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)
Last edited by Xanthippe on June 16th, 2009, 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
shelly94
Knowledgeable

Re: Team for Southern Kings

Post by shelly94 »

Glad to see D'arcy get a start, hopefully he can impress. Sure Donncha will do a grand job :happy clapper:
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Surprised by DOC as captain but fair play to him. Him being captain does suggest to me that he's out of contention for a test 22 spot though. Looks like AWJ and POC for the starting locks so and Vickery and Jenkins for the props. Flankers will be Wallace, Williams and Croft in the 22 one would think if this selection is any indication. Fitz still in with a shout but a very slim one. Will need a top performance to get in ahead of Monye. Monye on bench suggests his selection is not set in stone yet.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

So can we assume that Luke won't be in the Test squad or just not starting? Would be unfortunate for him not to be in the 22.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Fair play to DOC. He has shown up well in his couple of games
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Must be heaviest starting pack ever, of any team, not just lions: I make it 926kg or 18st 3Ilbs per man. Jeeeez.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Isaac4leinster wrote:Must be heaviest starting pack ever, of any team, not just lions: I make it 926kg or 18st 3Ilbs per man. Jeeeez.
You do enjoy your stats!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I suspect DOC is captain because they don't think Blair will be fit. Hope Luke and Darce have stormers!!!
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

ceemec wrote:
Isaac4leinster wrote:Must be heaviest starting pack ever, of any team, not just lions: I make it 926kg or 18st 3Ilbs per man. Jeeeez.
You do enjoy your stats!
I have a weakness for them alright, to the point where I email websites if I believe that they have incorrect ones. Could be a coincidence but I emailed the Official Lions site when it has a number of the Irish players weights wrong and it has been put right since. I have definitely got the IRFU to change a few.

NB: I do realise that I need to get a life.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

So we can pretty much work out the test 15... Only a couple of places still in question.

Byrne
Bowe
BOD
Roberts
Monye (Maybe Fitz)
Jones (Maybe ROG)
Phillips
Heaslip
Croft (maybe Wallace)
Williams (maybe Wallace)
POC
Jones
Jenkins
Mears
Vickery
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

tones wrote:So can we assume that Luke won't be in the Test squad or just not starting? Would be unfortunate for him not to be in the 22.
I noticed Graham Rowntree saying that some guys will play both Tuesday and Saturday, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Hippo wrote:
tones wrote:So can we assume that Luke won't be in the Test squad or just not starting? Would be unfortunate for him not to be in the 22.
I noticed Graham Rowntree saying that some guys will play both Tuesday and Saturday, so I wouldn't write him off just yet.
They've said a number of times the squad isn't being picked till after the game on Tuesday. If Luke puts in a big performance tomorrow I think he'll be in with a great shout of starting on the wing, the same goes for S Williams, while he hasn't been playing well, one big performance could push him into the side. The three second rows playing also have a great chance to push for a spot in the 22
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Anyword on the Southern Kings Team?
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Nevermind:

15. Tiger Mangweni, 14. Wylie Human, 13. Frikkie Welsh, 12. De Wet Barry, 11. Mat Turner, 10. Jaco van der Westhuyzen, 9. Francois Hougaard, 8. Darron Nell, 7. Solly Tyibilika, 6. Mpho Mbiyozo, 5. Ross Skeate, 4. Marco Wentzel, 3. Ruan Vermeulen, 2. Derick Kuun, 1. Jaco Engels.

Replacements - from: Simon Westraadt, Kevin Buys, Lungelo Payi, Heinrich Stride, Josh Fowles, Mzwandile Stick, Elger Watts, Bevin Fortuin, Henry Grimes, Michael Coetzee.

Note Mat Turner is english and Heinrich Stride plays AIL fro Tarf
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Darce wrote:Nevermind:

15. Tiger Mangweni, 14. Wylie Human, 13. Frikkie Welsh, 12. De Wet Barry, 11. Mat Turner, 10. Jaco van der Westhuyzen, 9. Francois Hougaard, 8. Darron Nell, 7. Solly Tyibilika, 6. Mpho Mbiyozo, 5. Ross Skeate, 4. Marco Wentzel, 3. Ruan Vermeulen, 2. Derick Kuun, 1. Jaco Engels.

Replacements - from: Simon Westraadt, Kevin Buys, Lungelo Payi, Heinrich Stride, Josh Fowles, Mzwandile Stick, Elger Watts, Bevin Fortuin, Henry Grimes, Michael Coetzee.

Note Mat Turner is english and Heinrich Stride plays AIL fro Tarf
Jeez what was the basis for being picked for this team? Looks like a very random selection to me!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Apparently Williams is out with a bug and Bowe is on standby which i presume means Monye will now start. Looks like a very foolish idea not to have more cover now!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Does anyone know of a link where the previous tour matches can be viewed?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sickaroll
Learner

Post by sickaroll »

Does looks like most of those players won't be starting the first test, surprising, I'd have thought that Hook is the form 10 in the group, certainly the least flappable kicker,and Euan Murray seemed to me to be a likely member of the 22 anyway. The rest seems fair.
I'm delighted to see Luke Fitz started where he should and man of the hour D'Arcy getting a start, cap an incredible return from injury for him. Looking forward to it, could be a big game.
Throw Blair into that pack and you've got a nice even metric tonne too, take that Bokke.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

thecoolfreak wrote:
Hippo wrote:
They've said a number of times the squad isn't being picked till after the game on Tuesday. If Luke puts in a big performance tomorrow I think he'll be in with a great shout of starting on the wing, the same goes for S Williams, while he hasn't been playing well, one big performance could push him into the side. The three second rows playing also have a great chance to push for a spot in the 22
Ok cool, had got the impression those playing on Tuesday were out of the reckoning for the first test
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I suspect DOC is captain because they don't think Blair will be fit. Hope Luke and Darce have stormers!!!
I suspect DOC is captain because Blair is a useless piece of sh!t! Too late for D'Arce to force his way into the 22 but a good performance from Luke should see him home, while an superb one might even see him leapfrog Monye into the 22.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent