Team for Southern Kings

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Re: Team for Southern Kings

Post by Leinsterman »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Jeez what was the basis for being picked for this team? Looks like a very random selection to me!

If S.A. get another Super 14 spot, i.e. if it expands further - they would like a team based in Port Elizabeth. The Souther Kings consists of a few guys from that area but to be fair, the team is an utter shambles.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Oldschool wrote:Does anyone know of a link where the previous tour matches can be viewed?

best i know of is the8/10 min highlights you can get on Rugbydump.com. TBH even 10mins is to much. The games have been muck & very hard to watch/get into
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
len
Beginner

Post by len »

Scott wrote:
Oldschool wrote:Does anyone know of a link where the previous tour matches can be viewed?

best i know of is the8/10 min highlights you can get on Rugbydump.com. TBH even 10mins is to much. The games have been muck & very hard to watch/get into
Diwana.org has the first 4 tour matches available to download - in HD as well.
true blue 06
Mullet

Post by true blue 06 »

i laughed when i heard DOC was captain... the lad is a messer!
mike blair is the only obvious other candidate but maybe someone like simon shaw. about time darce gets a run
"Hickie is racing away, he's gonna get past Pelous. He's gotta time his pass, D'arcy back to Hickie... HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! That is awesome!"
Sky Sports 01/04/06

HEC CHAMPIONS 2009

LEINSTER- MAGNERS LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2008
bootlace
Knowledgeable

Post by bootlace »

Congratulation to DOC,the third Irishman to captain the Lions this tour :happy clapper: , and in fairness he has played well ,his lineout work has been really good,think he will have a blinder.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

bootlace wrote:Congratulation to DOC,the third Irishman to captain the Lions this tour :happy clapper: , and in fairness he has played well ,his lineout work has been really good,think he will have a blinder.

funny how the brits have been mentioning everyone else as a partner/replacement for POC other then DOC. think he can get himself on the bench for the first test with a good performance tomorrow
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Leinsterman wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Jeez what was the basis for being picked for this team? Looks like a very random selection to me!

If S.A. get another Super 14 spot, i.e. if it expands further - they would like a team based in Port Elizabeth. The Souther Kings consists of a few guys from that area but to be fair, the team is an utter shambles.
Well, that's the thing - the S14 South African franchise will base themselves in Port Elizabeth, and, I think, East London. I believe they will be called the Southern Spears, so perhaps that's what this team should have been called. However, this team is almost like a South African Barbarians selection, and there seems little point in selecting most of these guys. Anyone familiar with the S14 over the past few years will recognise most of the guys, then throw in a few journeymen like Marco Wentzel. This has the potential to be a very sticky game for the Lions though. Whereas the Kings XV in Rustenburg were all journeymen pros hacking about in the lower levels of the Currie Cup, this team, and subs, has a smattering of former Boks and reasonably talent players. Tyibilika is ridiculously strong, and there is some positive points in the back line. You'd imagine the likes of JVDW and Human will have serious points to prove.

Also, I think the best hooker in the country, whether he be Irish, English, Scottish, Welsh or South African is playing in that position for this line up tomorrow, Derick Kuun. Anyone read the interview with Bismarck du Plessis in the ST? They singled him out as being one of the greatest Springboks ever by the time he retires. Kuun is a quality hooker too though. Reminds me a lot of Jerry Flannery
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Xanthippe wrote:British & Irish Lions vs Southern Kings

15. Keith Earls (Munster/Ireland)
14. Shane Williams (Ospreys/Wales)
13. Riki Flutey (London Wasps/England)
12. Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster/Ireland) :D :green clap: :D
11. Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster/Ireland)
10. James Hook (Ospreys/Wales)
9. Mike Blair (Edinburgh/Scotland)

8. Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues/Wales)
7. Joe Worsley (London Wasps/England)
6. Nathan Hines (Perpignan/Scotland)
5. Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster/Ireland) captain :shock:
4. Simon Shaw (London Wasps/England)
3. Euan Murray (Northampton/Scotland)
2. Ross Ford (Edinburgh/Scotland)
1. Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks/England)

Replacements

16. Matthew Rees (Scarlets/Wales)
17. Adam Jones (Ospreys/Wales)
18. Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers/England)
19. David Wallace (Munster/Ireland)
20. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers/England)
21. Ronan O'Gara (Munster/Ireland)
22. Ugo Monye (Harlequins/England
Looks very much like a (provisionally) 2nd string team. Not looking good for Luke. There's a very unusual shape to this squad, a few players may be find their versatility makes the difference in making the test side. Hines starting at 6 with Croft wearing 18.

Also interesting to see Flutey get a run at 13. But I suppose with Kearney injured, it made sense to put Earls 15.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I disagree that it looks poor for Luke – I'm of the opinion that he's giving him a second game at 11 to get another look at him. Playing 2 games in 5 days is definitely not impossible for a chap that's as young as Fitz, and winger is probably the least physically demanding position to play in terms of games in close succession.

Not saying that it's easy, but it doesn't have the same amount nor degree of collisions as the pack, and it certainly isn't as aerobically draining as the second row or backrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he has another good game and will get the call for the first test match.
Dublinner
Bookworm

Post by Dublinner »

I think DOC has done very well on tour. No silly stuff just getting on with the game and playing very well. The captaincy might actually be good for him. Fair Play :clap:
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Williams out, Monye in, Bowe on the bench
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Delighted for DO'C. Captaining the Lions is a huge honour and I hope he makes the most of it.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

downsouthdukin wrote:
bootlace wrote:Congratulation to DOC,the third Irishman to captain the Lions this tour :happy clapper: , and in fairness he has played well ,his lineout work has been really good,think he will have a blinder.

funny how the brits have been mentioning everyone else as a partner/replacement for POC other then DOC. think he can get himself on the bench for the first test with a good performance tomorrow
Similar to last tour I wouldn't bet against DOC making test appearances before the tour is out. Thought he was very good at weekend. Certainly as good as anything I've seen from other contenders so far.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Darce wrote:Williams out, Monye in, Bowe on the bench
So potentially all of the test wingers are involved in today's match? Perhaps they should have gotten a replacement in for Halfpenny after all. (Hook wasn't a replacement he was an extra out-half).

While I appreciate they wanted a small, tight squad, I feel they should have gotten in proper replacements in time for Halfpenny and Ferris. Armitage and Strokosch should be starting today's match and next Tuesdays too.
Last edited by Donny B. on June 16th, 2009, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Yeah, it is a worry to have Monye and Fitz both playing when one of them will be playing on Saturday.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

suisse wrote: I believe they will be called the Southern Spears
Originally that was the name for the franchise but they've since changed it to Kings.

http://www.planetrugby.com/lions-09/sto ... 21,00.html

The preliminary squad for this match was quite strong. Featured players like Neil de Kock and Brent Russell.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 98,00.html
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Darce wrote:Williams out, Monye in, Bowe on the bench
Now amended to: Monye in, Williams on the bench, Bowe out
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

ceemec wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:

Similar to last tour I wouldn't bet against DOC making test appearances before the tour is out. Thought he was very good at weekend. Certainly as good as anything I've seen from other contenders so far.
Not an anti Munster thing but have felt DOC has looked really mediocre all tour. What's Ian Gough doing this weather? Is he injured. At least he would have added a bit of beef.
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Murray and Hook gone already, this match could prove very costly.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

How bad is that?

Earls about the best player on the park, a few good breaks but the final ball lets him down.

Blair should be sent home on the next plane!!

Hook - taken off as a precaution. My eye - he doesn't know the day of the week!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4