Lions Team named for 3rd Test

Forum for discussion of the British and Irish Lions trip to South Africa in 2009

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Lions Team named for 3rd Test

Post by Oldschool »

Fair play to McGeechan, he obviously decided to rest as many Irish players as he can,
so that they'll be fully fit for the big one against the Boks in GAA Central in the Autumn.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Luke dropped for defensive errors last week according to McGeechan. I thought he played well last week but it does look like he's struggling with Edward's defensive system. Certainly couldn't get to grips with the new alignment at 13 against the Cheetahs. 13 is the key guy in Edward's defensive system... Earls was never going to get it either, though no place on the bench for either Earls or Fitzgerald is harsh.

Joe Worsley playing a test match for the Lions is a poor, (yet inaccurate reflection) of NH back row talent. Best, Quinlan, Ferris, Strokosch, Jennings, Leamy, Ryan Jones are all superior players.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Oscar wrote:
tinker wrote:If Morne Syeyn has missed that kick last week and this game on Saturday was to level or win the series would the management still have picked the same side??
Somebody asked the same question on PR, and this was my reply there;

"Well injuries did force 4 of the changes (props and centres), so yes we would have seen some of them no matter what.

And I think it's plain to anyone that something had to change in the backrow to legislate for Brussouw; hence bring in Nugget for deck work/continuity, and Worsley for Croft, to make up for the drop-off in power from Wallace to Williams. And the backrow changes had the knockon effect of altering the makeup of the bench, so the 5-2 split comes about, and ROG can't have any part of that bench.

So I think the only change that might not have been made is Williams for Fitz, which really is a shot in the dark and hoping against hope that Ickle can wind back the clock to 2008. I would not only have picked Fitz, Earls or D'Arcy over Williams, I would have Blair, Flutey or even Croft out of position there over him."

Adding to that, I would say that Bowe is in the best form on tour of any of the players who can cover centre, so it makes sense to play him there. He did well when he switched in the 2nd test. Flutey vs D'Arcy for his partner is a judgement call, neither have been electric so far. I would have gone for D'Arcy because the breakdown is going to be so important, but Flutey does bring a kicking dimension.

The thing this lineup does tell us is how costly the injuries have been to the team. The 22 would be so much stronger with Murray, O'Leary, Halfpenny, Ryan Jones, Flannery and Ferris in place.
+ Shanklin, - Ryan Jones
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Comer Toes wrote:Luke dropped for defensive errors last week according to McGeechan. I thought he played well last week but it does look like he's struggling with Edward's defensive system. Certainly couldn't get to grips with the new alignment at 13 against the Cheetahs. 13 is the key guy in Edward's defensive system... Earls was never going to get it either, though no place on the bench for either Earls or Fitzgerald is harsh.

Joe Worsley playing a test match for the Lions is a poor, (yet inaccurate reflection) of NH back row talent. Best, Quinlan, Ferris, Strokosch, Jennings, Leamy, Ryan Jones are all superior players.
Where did McGeechan say that Luke made defensive errors? I'm not disputing he made a few errors but I havn't seen that quote.

Totally agree with your Worsley comment. He doesn't deserve a test cap for the Lions. Also Shane Williams has gotten way too much game time on this tour and contributed next to nothing.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

dipper wrote:
Comer Toes wrote:Luke dropped for defensive errors last week according to McGeechan. I thought he played well last week but it does look like he's struggling with Edward's defensive system. Certainly couldn't get to grips with the new alignment at 13 against the Cheetahs. 13 is the key guy in Edward's defensive system... Earls was never going to get it either, though no place on the bench for either Earls or Fitzgerald is harsh.

Where did McGeechan say that Luke made defensive errors? I'm not disputing he made a few errors but I havn't seen that quote.

Totally agree with your Worsley comment. He doesn't deserve a test cap for the Lions. Also Shane Williams has gotten way too much game time on this tour and contributed next to nothing.
Said it in a press conference. Thing is he's dropping a guy because of defensive mistakes for Shane Williams..... :?

McGeechan has gone down alot in my book during this tour,
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Also what was said in Hugh Farrelly's article that was printed in the Times?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

tones wrote:
dipper wrote:

Said it in a press conference. Thing is he's dropping a guy because of defensive mistakes for Shane Williams..... :?

McGeechan has gone down alot in my book during this tour,
Ye agree 100% Geech secetion of the 22 over all 3 matches has been v odd! Shows what a big influence Jim Telfer was in '97. Gatty & Edwards found out big time
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Exactly what I was thinking.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

tones wrote:Also what was said in Hugh Farrelly's article that was printed in the Times?
In todays Indo he had a quote from Fourie claiming Ronan O'Gara have him a good eye-gougin!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 03872.html
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Sorry meant the Peter O'Reilly article.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Scott wrote:
tones wrote:Also what was said in Hugh Farrelly's article that was printed in the Times?
In todays Indo he had a quote from Fourie claiming Ronan O'Gara have him a good eye-gougin!

I had a quick look through the game and I have to say I didn't see it. They were only close together once, very briefly that I noticed.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

Scott wrote:
Ye agree 100% Geech secetion of the 22 over all 3 matches has been v odd! Shows what a big influence Jim Telfer was in '97. Gatty & Edwards found out big time

if you are to assume team selection was down to geech and the style of play down to gatty, edwards and howley i would say geech let everyone down with his bench selections especially but the way the lions have played rugby gatty, edwards and howley can hold their heads high. infairness i didnt see the second test
(was sluming it over in glasto) but most articles have commented on the good rugby that was played.
however im not a fan of edwards defensive system. it leaves no room for error. les kiss imo has a much better system
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Scott wrote:

if you are to assume team selection was down to geech and the style of play down to gatty, edwards and howley i would say geech let everyone down with his bench selections especially but the way the lions have played rugby gatty, edwards and howley can hold their heads high. infairness i didnt see the second test
(was sluming it over in glasto) but most articles have commented on the good rugby that was played.
however im not a fan of edwards defensive system. it leaves no room for error. les kiss imo has a much better system
The bench worked out incredibly badly in the second test (before the match I was saying I was worried Hook wasn't on it - lack of versatility hurt in the end) and failure to use it in time hurt the first test. But the rugby looked good.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

fourthirtythree wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:
Scott wrote:

The bench worked out incredibly badly in the second test (before the match I was saying I was worried Hook wasn't on it - lack of versatility hurt in the end) and failure to use it in time hurt the first test. But the rugby looked good.

agreed.. hook should have definately been there and i thought earls/darcy had a good shout after the emerging boks game due to their versatility. with hook and earls/darcy all places in the back line would have been covered
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Scott wrote:

If we're going to borrow American Football terminology (as rugby has been wont to do lately) we might call it a "bend but don't break" defence.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Scott wrote:

To be honest, in the first test his starting selection and probably squad one was poor. His constant listening to Wlesh lads about Shane Williams has been a travesty. In the 2nd test his poor selection was seen with a lack of versatility on the bench. The actual tactics weren't bad and certainly had the Boks in trouble, but unliek the supposed McGeechan mantra they were very reactionary to what was going on in front of him instead of him ebing able to forecast.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

ronk wrote:
Scott wrote:

I had a quick look through the game and I have to say I didn't see it. They were only close together once, very briefly that I noticed.
Surprise surprise. Turns out he was talking shite.

From the Telegraph:

Meanwhile, Springbok centre Jaque Fourie has back-tracked from a claim that he had been the victim of eye-gouging by a Lions player in the climax of last Saturday’s series-clinching victory in Pretoria.

When asked to clarify his claim, Fourie said: “It wasn’t eye-gouging. I went into a ruck just before I scored my try and when I came out I couldn’t see out of one eye. I could easily have been one of my players as much as them, so it was an accident. It isn’t an issue for me.”
We're all red on the inside.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Munsterboy wrote:
Surprise surprise. Turns out he was talking shite.

From the Telegraph:

Meanwhile, Springbok centre Jaque Fourie has back-tracked from a claim that he had been the victim of eye-gouging by a Lions player in the climax of last Saturday’s series-clinching victory in Pretoria.

When asked to clarify his claim, Fourie said: “It wasn’t eye-gouging. I went into a ruck just before I scored my try and when I came out I couldn’t see out of one eye. I could easily have been one of my players as much as them, so it was an accident. It isn’t an issue for me.”
What's this? Is Fourie the Bastareaud of Saffa rugby? Did ROG get him drunk and assault him over the TV remote or something? Was it on the way home from the match...
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Thrilled for the Lions. What a brilliant performance. Probably should have tagged on a couple more tries, but at this stage who cares? Tommy Bowe's corner flagging was fantastic for dislodging the ball out of Zane Kirchner's grasp and the tackle of Odwa Ndungane (seriosuly though, how sh!t is that chap's technique? Touch and go if you'll make it, what does he do? Shunts his right leg towards the touchline like a baby deer - never should have been in touch). Not sure Shane Williams was the best player on the park, but he made a serious contribution. Reckon Heaslip gave away a couple of stupid penalties to get the award, but definitely the best performance of his Tour. Joe Worsley tackled like a bus, and made some half decent breaks, but like Ndungane, his technique is awful. Why can't he hold onto the ball? Brilliant defensive performance from Mike Phillips.

Morne Steyn looked average, Kirchner has pretty poor, but that left winger with the 4 tries versus the Wallabies isn't an international. Way out of his depth. Did he do anything?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I thought Heaslips and Phillips were the best players on the park. And I have a general dislike for Phillips. Good performance from POC too. His best of the tour. Some good work on the deck.

Shane Williams surprised me with a decent performance but nothing like his form of last year. Ellis played well too.