for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Re: UFC - Any thoughts?

Post by Slipper1 »

Project Scorpio wrote:
They show
Brock the footage of Mir tapping him out, and Brock gets more and more angry at referee Steve Mazzagatti and finally
SNAPS~!, saying "THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER!!," storming off, and then punching his wall so hard that the adjoining
door falls off the hinges. Said to be must-see TV, and if that scene looks anything like it reads then this show is doing
1.5 million buys easy.
Well after reading that...I just cant wait.
Get in the f%~king bag.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

should've just hit him with the F5
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Post by Project Scorpio »

gfo wrote:should've just hit him with the F5

after googling that(hit him with the F5) I see you know more about wrestling than I, good on ya, not my bag though
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Looking forward to this card. I'm torn between Brock and Mir, I'm fans of both. Maybe a slightly bigger Mir fan.
I want GSP to win over Alves and I think that he will. Want Hendo to beat Bisping, but I don't think that he will.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:Looking forward to this card. I'm torn between Brock and Mir, I'm fans of both. Maybe a slightly bigger Mir fan.
I want GSP to win over Alves and I think that he will. Want Hendo to beat Bisping, but I don't think that he will.
If Brock has worked on his ground game sufficently and doesn't gift wrap any submissions for Mir, it could get very ugly. Think Mir is a wee bit overweight. He used to be 250ilbs and swelt, last time I saw him he was same weight but looked a bit unfit. Or is that just me?

Really hope Bisping does the business. Alves came to power when I didn't have access to UFC, but I understand he is quality, though GSP is superb.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Isaac4leinster wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Looking forward to this card. I'm torn between Brock and Mir, I'm fans of both. Maybe a slightly bigger Mir fan.
If Brock has worked on his ground game sufficently and doesn't gift wrap any submissions for Mir, it could get very ugly. Think Mir is a wee bit overweight. He used to be 250ilbs and swelt, last time I saw him he was same weight but looked a bit unfit. Or is that just me?

Really hope Bisping does the business. Alves came to power when I didn't have access to UFC, but I understand he is quality, though GSP is superb.
Should be a great night, I think Lesnar will have too much for Mir, he wants revenge too much - not writing Mir off as he looked really good against Nog in his last fight and there is always the fact he's a BJJ blackbelt and can get a quick sub, but I will be putting Brock in my accum.

Really don't know what to think for the GSP Alves fight as GSP is just one of the best P4P fighters on the planet and gets better everytime he fights, but Alves is seriously good too and is a massive welterweight - cuts to 170lbs for weigh ins but walks into octagon at over 200lbs - gsp walks in at aboot 190, will be an amazing fight.

Bisping should do fine against Hendo, I always underestimate him and he does get better each time i see him, this fight could go either way but I will be backing Hendo as I think he will shade it.

As far as I can find out UFC 100 will be on Setanta Ireland @ 3am live on Sunday morning...giggity :D
Hank Scorpio: Homer, on your way out, if you want to kill somebody, it would help me a lot.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

U always here that guys are walking into the ring far heavier, but i think 2 stone is a bit excessive. 30ibs, or over 2 stone is nearly 14 litres of water to lose and regain in less than what is it 36 hours? IF he was cutting that much his body would be f%~ked come fighting time, 20ILbs maybe, but 30Ilbs, I doubt it. I remember seeing an ALves fight and Joe Rogan said that he looks much heavier, but Joe talks some awful shite sometimes
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Jul-9-2009
UFC® 100 TO AIR LIVE in EIRE and N IRELAND on Setanta Ireland
BIGGEST

SHOW IN MMA HISTORY TO BE BROADCAST AS PART OF 9-HOUR UFC MARATHON

London, England – UFC 100®, the biggest mixed martial arts event in history, will be televised live on Setanta Ireland in Eire as well as Northern Ireland this coming Saturday, July 11, the Ultimate Fighting Championship® organization has confirmed.

The live action gets underway from 3am in the early hours of Sunday (July 12) morning and Setanta Ireland will broadcast full main card action from the Mandalay Events Center in Las Vegas.

And to celebrate the biggest fight night of the year, Setanta Ireland’s coverage will begin at 9pm, Saturday, for a nine hour UFC marathon.

As the hours tick down to UFC 100, Setanta Ireland will run five episodes of the ‘UFC’s Top 100 Fights’. These unique insights into the history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship(R) will be followed by the official ‘Countdown to UFC 100’ show, acting as the ideal appetiser ahead of the main course at 3am.

Included on the historic UFC 100 card are UFC Championship(R) battles between heavyweight juggernauts Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir and welterweight wrecking machines Georges St. Pierre and Thiago Alves. Plus, Ultimate Fighter(R) coaches collide as British superstar Michael ‘The Count Bisping and former PRIDE champion Dan Henderson throwdown in a middleweight showdown.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

well? Did either of you lads see it? Great fight night, i'll wait to see if you have seen it before i post any results, have it on dvd if you missed it or have no access
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Project Scorpio wrote:well? Did either of you lads see it? Great fight night, i'll wait to see if you have seen it before i post any results, have it on dvd if you missed it or have no access

Great coverage by Setanta on the night especially with the build up. Some amazing fights. I really loved from the highlights the fight where Pete "Drago" Sell and his buddy Smith knocked each other out. Classic! I have it on DVD but still always good to see. I won't say anything about UFC 100 until Isaac chimes in. Don't want to ruin it in case he missed it.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

RoboProp wrote:
Project Scorpio wrote:well? Did either of you lads see it? Great fight night, i'll wait to see if you have seen it before i post any results, have it on dvd if you missed it or have no access

Great coverage by Setanta on the night especially with the build up. Some amazing fights. I really loved from the highlights the fight where Pete "Drago" Sell and his buddy Smith knocked each other out. Classic! I have it on DVD but still always good to see. I won't say anything about UFC 100 until Isaac chimes in. Don't want to ruin it in case he missed it.
Sorry been away for a bit. I did see it and I have too say very sad to see Bisping so easily beaten. Was quite gutted to see it. He looked bizarrely underpowered, he looked too gaunt for the weight. I think wishful thinking got the better of me but he really should have performed better.

Lesnar and GSP very impressive. I really can't see anyone stopping Lesnar at the moment. Unless someone can knock him out in the few brief moments before he takes them down I really don't see anyone living with him. Maybe if a simliar size dude with wrestling might stand a chance. Maybe if they could fast track Kimbo through TUF he might have the power to survice a few minutes with Lesnar. WHo knows.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Kimbo? Are you having a Turkish I4L? He's rubbish. His being on TUF is win-win for UFC though.
I see Bisping's next opponent is Wanderlei Silva in Manchester. Wanderlei unlike Hendo can knock people out with other hand! :lol:
GSP and Lesnar were amazing. Cain Velasquez may provide a challenge for Lesnary or Gabriel Gonzaga, but other than that I don't see it. Maybe if they shaved a silverback and tried to pass it off as a person to fight Brock?
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Agree, Kimbo is pants and would get his arse kicked by any heavyweight in the UFC, he's only on the ultimate fighter for ratings, don't think he'll win it or even come close. Will be looking forward to seeing Carwin V Velasquez, i think Lesnar fights the winner of Randy Couture V Nogiera and then Carwin or Velasquez will get a shot, Carwin is actually similar size to Lesnar and can take and give a punch, also Afflictions last event is on in a couple of weeks and maybe Dana White will be able to get Fedor, who would get an instant title shot - Fedor is supposed to be fighting josh barnett in affliction 3 in 2 weeks but barnett failed a drug test and is not able to fight, there is talk of Vitor Belfort fighting fedor or maybe even Tito Ortiz, that would be a bad move by tito as he's been out injured for a good while and hasn't fought in ages, fedor as his first fight back would be a massacre.

I loved that KO by hendo on The Count but he shouldn't have said in his apres fight interview that he knew Bisping was out when he smashed him in the face to shut his mouth up, Bisping iosd totally overrated and it showed here with the way the dosy tw@ circled straight into Hendo's right, I think Wandy will destroy Bisping too. I liked the Sexyama(Akiyama) fight with Alan Belcher and certainly didn't agree with Goldberg and Rogan that belchar got robbed, they can be very biased sometimes and it annoys me
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

This is going to sound slightly retarded considering the nature of the sport but didn't like at all the fact Henderson smashed Bisping in the face when he was knocked out. Most fighters seem well able to realise it's not personal, they'll touch gloves and congratulate each other after the fight etc, but with Henderson and Lesnar there was quite a nasty element to it.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Danthefan wrote:This is going to sound slightly retarded considering the nature of the sport but didn't like at all the fact Henderson smashed Bisping in the face when he was knocked out. Most fighters seem well able to realise it's not personal, they'll touch gloves and congratulate each other after the fight etc, but with Henderson and Lesnar there was quite a nasty element to it.
I was disgusted by Lesnar's display post-match. He's an idiot. He was made apologise afterwards at press conference and I'd say by the look of things judging by his body language that Dana White gave him a right auld bollicking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMUCHjqEwpE
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Was only messing about Kimbo though I think you need someone of his size to really stand up to Lesnar in the power stacks.

Would love to see Fedor fight Lesnar, thought dont really follow pride. Did Fedor retire for a period?

Vitor Belfort, would that be at LIght Heavy, with Fedor dropping for it?

Bisping will bounce back, he really didn't look himself, looked like he had lost alot of power in his punches.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Project Scorpio wrote:Agree, Kimbo is pants and would get his arse kicked by any heavyweight in the UFC, he's only on the ultimate fighter for ratings, don't think he'll win it or even come close. Will be looking forward to seeing Carwin V Velasquez, i think Lesnar fights the winner of Randy Couture V Nogiera and then Carwin or Velasquez will get a shot, Carwin is actually similar size to Lesnar and can take and give a punch, also Afflictions last event is on in a couple of weeks and maybe Dana White will be able to get Fedor, who would get an instant title shot - Fedor is supposed to be fighting josh barnett in affliction 3 in 2 weeks but barnett failed a drug test and is not able to fight, there is talk of Vitor Belfort fighting fedor or maybe even Tito Ortiz, that would be a bad move by tito as he's been out injured for a good while and hasn't fought in ages, fedor as his first fight back would be a massacre.

I loved that KO by hendo on The Count but he shouldn't have said in his apres fight interview that he knew Bisping was out when he smashed him in the face to shut his mouth up, Bisping iosd totally overrated and it showed here with the way the dosy tw@ circled straight into Hendo's right, I think Wandy will destroy Bisping too. I liked the Sexyama(Akiyama) fight with Alan Belcher and certainly didn't agree with Goldberg and Rogan that belchar got robbed, they can be very biased sometimes and it annoys me
Interesting, was just looking up bits on youtube on Carwin and it was interesting to look at his physique in earlier, non ufc fights. He looks far larger and more defined. When he is in the UFC he looks to have dropped a hulleva lot of weight and less defined. IF one didn't know better you might be lead to believe that he was possibly a user of anabolics. Have a look the difference is marked.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Danthefan wrote:This is going to sound slightly retarded considering the nature of the sport but didn't like at all the fact Henderson smashed Bisping in the face when he was knocked out. Most fighters seem well able to realise it's not personal, they'll touch gloves and congratulate each other after the fight etc, but with Henderson and Lesnar there was quite a nasty element to it.
Totally agree on the Hendo thing, sometimes it happens as you fight till the ref stops it and it can get stopped too late and sometimes too early, but Hendo said in his interview after the fight to Joe Rogan that he knew Bisping was out and the last shot(face smash) was to shut him up a little - totally offside, but to actually say it was retarded. It stems from the ultimate fighter show as Hendo has little or no personality and said very little all show but Bisping talked it up for the whole show, it would seem Hendo did his talking with his right fist. As far as Lesnars antics after his fight i really enjoyed it, Frank Mir was rippin the piss out of Lesnar for weeks in the buildup about what a rookie he is and how when he taps lesnar out again, he'll show him how to do it after the fight, Lesnar just got caught up in th mo with adrenalin, also the crowd were booing him so thats what he played up to, Dana White took him aside to kick his ass not for his behaviour but because he said in his apres fight interview with Rogan that he was heading home for a Coors Light as Bud wouldn't pay anything, Bud Light are the main UFC sponsors and this is what pissed off Dana White, all the other antics will just mean he will sell more and more PPV's each fight he has, I think they were lucky Brock went off like he did as it totally took the focus off what Hendo did and said which was much worse imho. The UFC have ongoing court cases with different states to try get MMA sanctioned - New York being the main one as they want to run Madison Square Garden and it's what Hedo did that will hurt this process, not Lesnar being a Heel when the crowd are booing him for the whole fight anyway.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Isaac4leinster wrote:Was only messing about Kimbo though I think you need someone of his size to really stand up to Lesnar in the power stacks.

Would love to see Fedor fight Lesnar, thought dont really follow pride. Did Fedor retire for a period?

Vitor Belfort, would that be at LIght Heavy, with Fedor dropping for it?

Bisping will bounce back, he really didn't look himself, looked like he had lost alot of power in his punches.
Pride went out of business a couple of years ago and all the vidoe and a few of the contracts were bought by UFC, Fedor fights for Affliction and is supposed to be fighting on their 3rd show this or next weekend but i have just heard that it is cancelled and Affliction is done, so hopefully UFC will get some of their best fighters, in particular Fedor. Bisping is just over rated and was protected for a good while as he was the only British star and was needed for that market, Wandy will fock him up.
Project Scorpio
Bookworm

Interesting, was just looking up bits on youtube on Carwin and it was interesting to look at his physique in earlier, non ufc fights. He looks far larger and more defined. When he is in the UFC he looks to have dropped a hulleva lot of weight and less defined. IF one didn't know better you might be lead to believe that he was possibly a user of anabolics. Have a look the difference is marked.[/quote]

I have to say that all fighters, in particular Pride FC fighters look much less ripped and angry when they go to the UFC, this is because there was no commission sanctioning Pride like there is in UFC, all fighters in UFC get tested all the time, they didn't in Pride and were all seriously juiced up. Carwin was a pro wrestler for a while like Lesnar so no doubt he was on Istabraq tablets pre UFC