Homophobic Comments

If you have feedback about the site or the forum, leave it here

Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

Homophobic Comments

Post by IanD »

Assume this goes here.

Can the Mods please put in a ploicy to remove/ban Homophobic comments from this site. I think it is digracefull that people get away with calling Soccer Puff Ball etc. Not wanting to talk for the Gay community but I think it is totally degrading to Gay people and people who like football.

On another point maybe there should be a list of other words/phrases that should be banned. ie. Retard
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Re: Homophobic Comments

Post by Avenger »

Personally I'd agree with you.
We'll have to see what the consensus is. Stay tuned.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Am I being naive? Isn't the insult "poof" (sorry). Puff can parse for me as lacking in substance. e.g. huffing and puffing, or in terms of inflating something up.

Is is just the references to soccer or are there problems with other comments?
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Sure, if anyone takes offence at anything, that there is a "report post" function. let the moderators know and they'll decide whats right and whats wrong.

personally, I've no problem with Puffball - just like us being ladyboys and munster being turnipstani. I'd have thought that you'd have to be a particularly thin skinned homosexual to take offence to the phrase puffball.

But, I'm not gay so what would I know.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

ronk wrote:Am I being naive? Isn't the insult "poof" (sorry). Puff can parse for me as lacking in substance. e.g. huffing and puffing, or in terms of inflating something up.

Is is just the references to soccer or are there problems with other comments?
Correctomundo ronk, Poof is the synonym for Gay and not Puff. In fact Puff refers to Powder-Puff, which indicates that the sport is for Ladies...

Leo: If there are Gay people taking offence at the term, then let them raise the point you are trying to make poorly. This is a forum after all, so if we're going down that "PC/Thought Police" road let's open up the debate about what is acceptable and unacceptable/offensive and draw clear guidelines because there's lot's & lot's of more offensive terminology used everyday on here. Mostly in jest/ignorance and just occasionally malevolently..
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

There are a number of words that I would be personally offended by that are in parlance. I never know if I'm oversensitive or if they're really offensive.

We do have a swear filter in place so if people see words that are offensive that are missed, report the post and let us deal with it

Oh and for the record this is a puffball

Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

i think people are generally cautious with what they write on the site especially if you were to look at boards.ie or further a field so your complaint is erroneous.

slagging/ nicknames and the malark is all part of the banter and if someone posts a horrific comment or spiel of abuse, report it.
China censors, Leinster doesnt!
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

PC gone mad (or is that offensive to mad people?).
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Danthefan wrote:PC gone mad (or is that offensive to mad people?).
:clap: Well said. Personally, I would be in favour of giving forum members as much freedom as conceivably possible so long as they don't resort to personal abuse of other members, incitement to hatred or defamation. The example cited in the original post of this thread serves only to make the sentiments contained therein even more ridiculous. Some people really need to lighten up a bit and appreciate that not every piece of casual banter amounts to a heinous assault on a particular social minority.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

im in the "people need to lighten up" brigade. that and i cant see this forum functioning without people hurling abuse at each other
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

gfo wrote:im in the "people need to lighten up" brigade. that and i cant see this forum functioning without people hurling abuse at each other

Thats cause ur a tw@t.

sorry wrong thread
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan