Dublin GAA Thread

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Dublin GAA Thread

Post by thecoolfreak »

Team announced for Sunday. A few surprises

DUBLIN (SF v Longford) – S Cluxton; N O’Shea, B Cahill, D Henry; P Casey, C Goggins, P Griffin; C Whelan, S Ryan; K Bonner, A Brogan, B Cullen; T Quinn, C Keaney, M Vaughan.

The players who were not considered for selection owing to injury were Darren Magee, Declan O’Mahony, Derek Murray, Pat Burke and Stephen O’Shaughnessy.
Last edited by thecoolfreak on June 18th, 2007, 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Dublin are going nowhere with that half-back line. Don't get me wrong the guys selected are to a man fine players defensively. On the ball however...ouch! Colin Moran is needed back to full fitness pronto. A fit and in-form Paddy Christie would also release Barry Cahill to play further out the field.

I have to say, the midfield axis of Whelan and Ryan has never really impressed me either.

Bonner is an interesting choice. I'd have probably gone for Declan Lally to be honest.

By the way, although it doesn't sound like it, I'm actually quite optimistic this year! :D
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

I think Moran is close enough to full fitness. I have seen him up in the gym quite a few times. As for the half back line i agree its not great going forward even though Goggins has been playing very well in attack for the club but he never seems to play like that for the Dubs
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Duke Raoul wrote:A fit and in-form Paddy Christie would also release Barry Cahill to play further out the field.
One of the lads in work plays with Christie for Ballymun Kickhams and says there is feck all chance of him playing at all for Dublin this season. He's lost all of his form, is unfit and keeps picking up niggly injuries. He's nowhere near inter-county level at the moment. :?
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Leinsterman wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote:A fit and in-form Paddy Christie would also release Barry Cahill to play further out the field.
One of the lads in work plays with Christie for Ballymun Kickhams and says there is feck all chance of him playing at all for Dublin this season. He's lost all of his form, is unfit and keeps picking up niggly injuries. He's nowhere near inter-county level at the moment. :?
Niether am I, but that's probably because I don't know the rules.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Its not too difficult Flash. I'd say you'd make a fine footballer :wink:
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Leinsterman wrote:
Yep, that's the word on the street right enough. He's been one of the Greats though has Paddy. Hopefully there will be another full-back along off the Kickhams conveyor belt soon.
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.

Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

thecoolfreak wrote:
But I only have one boot.......can you give me another one Cool? :wink:
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

thecoolfreak wrote:

I heard Flash can only 'kick with the left'. At that level he'd be found out soon enough...

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

Flash Gordon wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:
But I only have one boot.......can you give me another one Cool? :wink:
:x :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Duke Raoul wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote:

I heard Flash can only 'kick with the left'. At that level he'd be found out soon enough...
Hes deffo a left footer alroysh :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote:
thecoolfreak wrote: Its not too difficult Flash. I'd say you'd make a fine footballer :wink:

Hes deffo a left footer alroysh :lol:
Oi!!!! I'm a right footed kicker, its you lot who are lefties.....help me out here ePaddy/Sexy Rexy/Big Deep Blue....... :lol:
groundhog
Knowledgeable

Post by groundhog »

Dublin will not win an All-Ireland with that midfield and in fact I'll think they'll struggle to win a Leinster, Whelan for all his talents just disappears too much and Shane Ryan is he even a footballer :roll:

Would actually move Brogan in full-forward, I think he gets a bit lost at CHF and if I was marking Goggins I would just run at him all day. That team will beat Longford but in Croke Park against a Laois they might struggle through the middle.
The French pulled up the Scots' kilts and discovered they had no balls - Zinzan Brooke
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

groundhog wrote:Shane Ryan is he even a footballer :roll:
Shane Ryan is the work horse of the Dublin team ...

I do think he would be best served in the half back line with Magee partnering Whelan in midfield but we won't have Magree back for a few weeks.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

Colm wrote:

I do think he would be best served in the half back line with Magee partnering Whelan in midfield but we won't have Magree back for a few weeks.
I'd agree with that Colm. Ryaner would probably be one of the best wing-backs in the country...if he ever got to play there. His versatility has really seen him messed around in the last few years.

thecoolfreak
Shane Jennings

Post by thecoolfreak »

if I was marking Goggins I would just run at him all day
While i know he has never been great playing with the Dubs, he was picked i would imagine based on his club form recently which has been spectacular. Hopefully he can carry this form forward to the blue jersey
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

Duke Raoul wrote:
Colm wrote:

I'd agree with that Colm. Ryaner would probably be one of the best wing-backs in the country...if he ever got to play there. His versatility has really seen him messed around in the last few years.
Dead on Duke. Unfortunately Whelan doesn't put in the work for the full game. Whelan explodes out of the blocks, sometimes a little too over-enthusiastically (Remember getting a Yellow Card BEFORE the throw in against Meath last year .. .savage punch tho!) so I can understand Pillar sticking Ryaner in beside him.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

Colm wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote:
Colm wrote: Shane Ryan is the work horse of the Dublin team ...

Dead on Duke. Unfortunately Whelan doesn't put in the work for the full game. Whelan explodes out of the blocks, sometimes a little too over-enthusiastically (Remember getting a Yellow Card BEFORE the throw in against Meath last year .. .savage punch tho!) so I can understand Pillar sticking Ryaner in beside him.
Dublin will only get so far in the Championship as the GAA need them to fill Croke Park. With Meath and possibly Kildare out, Croker won't be full for any Leinster Championship fixtures unless the Dubs are there. They will be kept in the competition until such time as Croke Park has other fixtures that will fill it ! Oh, and expect a few "Draws" to be thrown in there, to allow those Gullible enough, think that their making progress !!
Colm
Mullet

Post by Colm »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Colm wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote: I'd agree with that Colm. Ryaner would probably be one of the best wing-backs in the country...if he ever got to play there. His versatility has really seen him messed around in the last few years.
Dublin will only get so far in the Championship as the GAA need them to fill Croke Park. With Meath and possibly Kildare out, Croker won't be full for any Leinster Championship fixtures unless the Dubs are there. They will be kept in the competition until such time as Croke Park has other fixtures that will fill it ! Oh, and expect a few "Draws" to be thrown in there, to allow those Gullible enough, think that their making progress !!
Eh ... This is Leinster football ... not Ulster Football. Check the amount of draws in Ulster compared to the amount of draws in Leinster last year.
Duke Raoul
Seán Cronin

Post by Duke Raoul »

CRAZYDAVE wrote:
Colm wrote:
Duke Raoul wrote: I'd agree with that Colm. Ryaner would probably be one of the best wing-backs in the country...if he ever got to play there. His versatility has really seen him messed around in the last few years.
Dublin will only get so far in the Championship as the GAA need them to fill Croke Park. With Meath and possibly Kildare out, Croker won't be full for any Leinster Championship fixtures unless the Dubs are there. They will be kept in the competition until such time as Croke Park has other fixtures that will fill it ! Oh, and expect a few "Draws" to be thrown in there, to allow those Gullible enough, think that their making progress!!
pssst.

I have this theory right, I reckon that JFK wasn't assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald at all. Oswald was in fact nothing more than a patsy for a cabal of Mafia/CIA/Cuban/Leinster Council conspirators. Are you with me? :wink: