Munster v Leinster Good Friday

Forum to enable fans to provide help and tips on travel arrangements to away matches, as well as for opposition fans travelling to the Irish capital for matches.

Moderator: moderators

pitcher girl
Knowledgeable

Munster v Leinster Good Friday

Post by pitcher girl »

Tickets and hotel booked:-)
If the no drinking on Good Friday is putting you off
I am reliably informed that the bar will be open before the game and a couple of hours after the game.
The nighclubs will open at midnight.
In training
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: Munster v Leinster Good Friday

Post by sheepshagger »

pitcher girl wrote:Tickets and hotel booked:-)
If the no drinking on Good Friday is putting you off
I am reliably informed that the bar will be open before the game and a couple of hours after the game. The nighclubs will open at midnight.
AFAIK they are limiting numbers for safety reasons in each of the bars so theres no guarantee you'll get in (given a load of people will be trying to get pints before/during/after the match).
awol
Bookworm

Post by awol »

Any idea what Hotels have a bar thats open?
Debating staying in Limerick that night even if it is only a 90 minute drive home for me!
Wexford man stuck in Cork....
sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Post by sheepshagger »

awol wrote:Any idea what Hotels have a bar thats open?
Debating staying in Limerick that night even if it is only a 90 minute drive home for me!
Think I read somewhere that the Clarion, Maldron and George Hotels all have bars that will be serving.
Leinster_Dave
Bookworm

Post by Leinster_Dave »

Maldron are doing booze for the residents
gERI
Knowledgeable

Post by gERI »

I'm in the Radisson, must send them an email and see if the bar will be serving to residents.

Geri
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Hotel bars are all licensed to sell alchol on Good Friday. It is for "Residents Only" and goes back to years ago and is similar to the way in which the bars on the trains can serve alchol on Good Friday in that travellers or even people travelling were allowed to avail of a drink to break up their journey. So there you are!
Cliffy
Bookworm

Post by Cliffy »

also as far as I know the court case to see if "normal" bars can open is tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Irish Times wrote:GARDAÍ HAVE objected to the application by publicans in Limerick to open for business on Good Friday. Judge Tom O’Donnell will give his decision tomorrow.
Limerick District Court was told yesterday by the city’s State solicitor, Michael Murray, that a rugby clash between Munster and Leinster at Thomond Park on April 2nd did not constitute a “special event”. The Magners League game must be deemed to be one to qualify for a court order allowing bars to open on Good Friday.
The city’s publicans have sought to prove that the match is indeed such an event and so qualifies for an exemption from licensing laws.
The court heard that gardaí had two difficulties with the application, made by Jerry O’Dea, chairman of the Limerick Vintners Federation.
First, the area it covered was wider than had been expected. Second, there was a legal impediment – the absence of a special event. “I think that is the real nub of the matter,” said Mr Murray.
Solicitor for the publicans Gearóid McGann agreed that the nub of the case was whether the rugby game was a special event.
Mr McGann said no legal definition of a special event existed. He quoted case law, referring to historical actions concerning a mart and a dance. He also gave Oxford Dictionary definitions for the words.
Mr Murray said that in order to qualify for an exemption from the licensing laws, an event needed to be not usual or common, and it had to be singular. Magners League matches were usual enough, he said. “The fixture is not so much a special fixture but it’s on a special day.”
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

The vintners might have ruined their chance by including the whole of Limerick city instead of limiting the area, I would expect them to loose their case especially with a Garda objection
rummyometer
Bookworm

Post by rummyometer »

"Limerick publicans have been granted a special exemption to open for business on Good Friday.

They had sought the exemption to accommodate over 26,000 people who will attend the Munster and Leinster rugby match at Thomond Park. Judge Tom O'Donnell noted in his judgment today that the publicans only made the application as a last resort. He also noted that Thomond Park had a special stadium licence and they would be allowed to serve drinks from when they open their doors until after the match. Judge O'Donnell said it seemed absurd to him that pubs in the locality could not open for business as well. He said he was also making the ruling for health and safety reasons when 26,000 people would be spilling out of Thomond Park immediately after the match. He said the pubs could stay open from 6pm until 11.30pm that night. The State had opposed the application by the publicans."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0325/limerick.html
Kingdomblackrock

Post by Kingdomblackrock »

I bought tickets off the leinster site and got them posted to my address in kerry. When i got home for the weekend last night there was no sign of the tickets. I have the receipt confirmation but no tickets. I tried ringing ticketmaster customer services but there offices are closed today, I tried ringing leinster rugby offices but could'nt get through, I tried ringing muster ticketoffices in cork and limerick and couldn't get through. I finally got through to thomond park and got through to the ticket office and they told me there will be no ticketmaster kiosk outside the ground tonight. Im supposed to be collected at 3 to go to the match. I dont want to go without a ticket though.
badger79
Bookworm

Post by badger79 »

I have one spare for the East Terrace. Am heading up from Cork shortly. If you are still stuck give me a PM
Kingdomblackrock

How do you do the PM ticket. I'll deffo take it thanks alot.
Kingdomblackrock

badger79 wrote:I have one spare for the East Terrace. Am heading up from Cork shortly. If you are still stuck give me a PM
I am unable to use the PM function as I am newly registered. If you could text/ring me on **Edited by Mod** I would really apreciate it if you could meet me to sort a ticket.
Last edited by Eve on April 3rd, 2010, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Phone number removed
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

In 2010 there was much media coverage about a Special Exemption to serve alcohol on Good Friday due to a Munster v Leinster Magners League Match in Thomond Park.....in 2018 a Leinster "A" v Munster "A" match [at 3pm on Good Friday] and every pub in the country can open if they want !