Wimbledon 2010

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Wimbledon 2010

Post by Hickiefan »

Underway today.

Roger Federer off to a shaky start 2-0 down in sets but back to 2-1 now.

Anyone got any predictions? Can Nadal do it this time? Murray for GB (he'll be Scottish if he loses mind)?
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Wimbledon 2010

Post by sarah_lennon »

Federer was pretty lucky. Now being written off, which you do at your peril!

Roddick is in Fed's draw, I fancy them to meet in a semi and this time Rod to win.

I've put my money on Nadal
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hope you're right about Roddick Sarah. Always been a fan and I'd hate for him to lose to Federer yet again. Didn't think he'd get another chance to win it after last year's final but I'd love to see him do it.
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

I'm backing Nadal.
madridlion
Knowledgeable

Post by madridlion »

Federer showed some steel, wouldn´t write the greatest off just yet but he doesn´t seem up to his best.
GrahamC
Bookworm

Post by GrahamC »

Check out the game on tv at the moment - in the 5th set, for the past 5 hours. Currently 45 ALL!!!!! And no end in sight......
AidanSloan
Knowledgeable

Post by AidanSloan »

GrahamC wrote:Check out the game on tv at the moment - in the 5th set, for the past 5 hours. Currently 45 ALL!!!!! And no end in sight......
Unreal. Play suspended at 59 all in the 5th set. The game going into it's 3rd day tomorrow.
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

AidanSloan wrote:
GrahamC wrote:Check out the game on tv at the moment - in the 5th set, for the past 5 hours. Currently 45 ALL!!!!! And no end in sight......
Unreal. Play suspended at 59 all in the 5th set. The game going into it's 3rd day tomorrow.
Couldn't believe that Mahut wanted to finish up for the evening. Isner looked like he was about to fall over!!
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Terraceman wrote:
AidanSloan wrote:
Couldn't believe that Mahut wanted to finish up for the evening. Isner looked like he was about to fall over!!
Yeah, it really should have been the other way around in terms of who wanted to continue. I predict that Isner will win this match within a few games tomorrow. When he's fully rested and serving well, he's one of the most difficult players to break in the world. Mahut also has the added pressure of having to serve each time to stay in the match, so I can't see him lasting for too much longer.

It's a real pity that someone has to lose; they're both incredibly nice, humble guys. I hope Wimbledon place some sort of commemorative plaque beside Court 18 to record this phenomenal display.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
Skinfull
Mullet

Post by Skinfull »

Terraceman wrote:
AidanSloan wrote:
Yeah but Isner looked like that since the 40th set! And he was still piling through "leading" the game. Mahut was putting too much effort into looking like he was still able for it, to his detriment I think. I really thought it would be Isner to collapse first, he still wanted to play on. Cant imagine either of them being up to much tomorrow and worse it gives their opponent another rest day so I wouldn't put money on whomever wins getting much further.

Dammit I really enjoyed that extended coverage yesterday. Wont get to see the conclusion today except through text streaming online. :(
"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!" - Kirk
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Terraceman wrote:
AidanSloan wrote:
Thats because Mahut is a cheese eating surrender monkey.
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Mahut could have been very clever - if the game went to a third day, wouldnt the next game the winner plays be delayed until the following day? If they finished last night, the winner would play today, but they stopped last night, play a couple of games this morning to close the game then the winner gets the rest of the day off until the next game, thus more time to recover.
Get in the f%~king bag.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Anyone know why it couldn't have been moved on to centre court and played under floodlights? I know there might have been an issue with moving the crowd but wouldn't have thought it was insurmountable.

Incredible stuff to watch, really hope they're both physically ok today. They looked reasonably fresh in the interview afterwards so fingers crossed they are.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Slipper1 wrote:Mahut could have been very clever - if the game went to a third day, wouldnt the next game the winner plays be delayed until the following day? If they finished last night, the winner would play today, but they stopped last night, play a couple of games this morning to close the game then the winner gets the rest of the day off until the next game, thus more time to recover.
Not necessarily. It would be within the norms to schedule them to play a second match on the same day if required if a player had only played a few games in the first match. However, in this instance they are taking into account the duration spent on court yesterday and only starting them late in the day today so it would be unlikely.
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Skinfull wrote:
Terraceman wrote:
AidanSloan wrote: Unreal. Play suspended at 59 all in the 5th set. The game going into it's 3rd day tomorrow.
Yeah but Isner looked like that since the 40th set! And he was still piling through "leading" the game. Mahut was putting too much effort into looking like he was still able for it, to his detriment I think. I really thought it would be Isner to collapse first, he still wanted to play on. Cant imagine either of them being up to much tomorrow and worse it gives their opponent another rest day so I wouldn't put money on whomever wins getting much further.

Dammit I really enjoyed that extended coverage yesterday. Wont get to see the conclusion today except through text streaming online. :(
Watched it when I got in from work last night, no great interest in it but better than the Ghana v Ger game. Epic (if not exactly high quality), didnt know who to root for. I cant believe Isner had 5 match points- that must break a man altogether.
Surely the two of them are going to be in agony today? I would expect to see a racket inadvertently fly out of someones hand at some stage!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Anyone else find the marathon kind of boring?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

No! Tenis is only the 4th most boring major sport (To watch) in the world.
Behind
Horse Racing
Golf
and cricket
in that order.

Hey!!! What am I doing on a Tenis thread????

That's not fair :(
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Golf is a game
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Anyone wanting to watch Isner V Mahut