The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

for discussion of other sports

Moderator: moderators

Mackman15
Mullet

The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Post by Mackman15 »

This possibly needs a thread at some stage given that its getting closer and closer. The great debate about the Captain's picks shall rage between now and show time.

As an aside, the brother and i are going for the Sunday matchs and are contemplating the Boat and driving to Newport. Has anyone here done the drive through Wales or have you choosen to stick to motorways etc? Are their any pearls of wisdom out there as regards Holyhead to newport?
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Ryder Cup 2010, Celtic Manor.

Post by Hornet »

Mackman15 wrote:As an aside, the brother and i are going for the Sunday matchs and are contemplating the Boat and driving to Newport. Has anyone here done the drive through Wales or have you choosen to stick to motorways etc? Are their any pearls of wisdom out there as regards Holyhead to newport?
Go via Rosslare, not into Holyhead. It will take you longer to Drive through Wales than the combined Drive down to Rosslare and Drive from Fishguard or Pembroke Dock to Newport. Roads from West Wales to Newport are Dual Carriageway/Motorway. Takes about 2hrs to 2:30hrs from Ferry Port to Newport.
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Unfortunately the Ferry times for Rosslare are muck. First light on Saturday and 2:40 on the Monday morning. You'd have driven back to Holyhead by that stage to get a similarly timed Ferry to Dublin.

I was looking at flying into to Cardiff on Sunday morning and hiring a car but wait for it... The hire car companies don't open till lunch hour. It wouldn't happen under Michael Smurfit.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Bristol???
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

think I'm going into Bristol - there are trains to Newport - guess there might be shuttles
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Now looking at flying into Cardiff Sat lunch Hour, hire car to get around and out via Bristol.
Very Reasonable at €163.
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

Mackman15 wrote:This possibly needs a thread at some stage given that its getting closer and closer. The great debate about the Captain's picks shall rage between now and show time.

As an aside, the brother and i are going for the Sunday matchs and are contemplating the Boat and driving to Newport. Has anyone here done the drive through Wales or have you choosen to stick to motorways etc? Are their any pearls of wisdom out there as regards Holyhead to newport?
Yeap have driven it, and its a wagon of a drive. It is incredibly slow. Don't bank on averaging more than 35mph.
LEINSTER pour toujours
simplythebest
Enlightened

Post by simplythebest »

By the way, delighted that Darren Clarke and Paul McGinley have been picked as Vice Captains. Great choices and two real nice guys.
LEINSTER pour toujours
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

simplythebest wrote:Yeap have driven it, and its a wagon of a drive. It is incredibly slow. Don't bank on averaging more than 35mph.
Yikes, i drove it via Birmingham once but couldn't help but think that we were going round the world to get there.
Yeah great news on Clarke and McGinley. I wouldn't entirely write off Clarke from getting in around the house and challanging for a position. In fact, being asked to become a vice captain would serve as much as an encouragment to proove himself as capable of doing it again.
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Hornet wrote:
Mackman15 wrote:As an aside, the brother and i are going for the Sunday matchs and are contemplating the Boat and driving to Newport. Has anyone here done the drive through Wales or have you choosen to stick to motorways etc? Are their any pearls of wisdom out there as regards Holyhead to newport?
Go via Rosslare, not into Holyhead. It will take you longer to Drive through Wales than the combined Drive down to Rosslare and Drive from Fishguard or Pembroke Dock to Newport. Roads from West Wales to Newport are Dual Carriageway/Motorway. Takes about 2hrs to 2:30hrs from Ferry Port to Newport.
Yep, that would be the sensible shout alright direct into South Wales....
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Am only going for the Thursday and Friday - flights return including taxes into Bristol (Wed to Sat) are €20. IBIS Bristol near train station good price too.
"Look what Leinster have done again"
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

simplythebest wrote:Darren Clarke - real nice guy
You think?
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

World Points List
Pos Player Name
1 Lee WESTWOOD
2 Rory MCILROY
3 Graeme MCDOWELL
4 Luke DONALD

5 Edoardo MOLINARI
6 Ian POULTER
7 Padraig HARRINGTON
8 Justin ROSE
9 Martin KAYMER
10 Francesco MOLINARI

European Points List
Pos Player Name
1 Lee WESTWOOD
2 Graeme MCDOWELL
3 Ian POULTER
4 Rory MCILROY
5 Ross FISHER
6 Martin KAYMER
7 Francesco MOLINARI
8 Miguel Angel JIMÉNEZ
9 Padraig HARRINGTON
10 Ross McGOWAN

Westwood in trouble, Langer 'Not being ruled out'
Garcia effectively pulling out this morning.
One good week required from Harrington and he's automatically in.

It's all happening this week in Ryder Cup Watch.
dod
Knowledgeable

Post by dod »

Now that Casey has the last qualifying place ( for now ) who do you think will get the 3 picks?? I think that monty will pick paddy h ( his old foursomes partner ). Also then in the reckoning will be Alvaro Quiros ( all that power would be very helpful in a fourball ) and Franceso Molinari to partner his brother.. That leaves donald and rose as the unlucky 2 get left out. However with 2 games left to play both Molinari and Quiros could play themselves in.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

World Points List
Pos Player Name
1 Lee WESTWOOD
2 Rory MCILROY
3 Martin KAYMER
4 Graeme MCDOWELL

5 Luke D.
6 Ed Molinari
7 Ian Poulter
8 Paddy H.
9 Justin Rose
10 Francesco MOLINARI

European Points List
Pos Player Name
1 Lee WESTWOOD
2 Martin KAYMER
3 Rory MCILROY
4 Graeme MCDOWELL

5 Ian P.
6 Ross FISHER
7 Francesco MOLINARI
8 Miguel Angel JIMÉNEZ
9 Paul Casey

10 P Harrington

1) Can't continence Harrington not being picked, just can't see it. Although there was great 'Copy' made of the fact last time that Faldo had given Poulter a free pass from Gleneagles rather than challanging him to go and get himself into the team and provide Faldo with two choices rather than the one, a position enforced by Poulter. PH has told Monty that he is committed to a Special Olympics event on at the same time as Gleneagles and that he won't be changing his schedule. Terrific organisation that it is i accept and a very strong gesture from Harrington IMO which could, (albeit unlikely) blow up in his face. Monty doesn't strike me as one to be backed into a corner and if the cap fits last time out....... Same can be said in some respects for Casey who is standing at the Cliff edge.

2) The Langer thing is a non story ...... Move on.

4) Very hard to see passed Donald and Rose simply on standings both are within touching distance on both points lists. Donald being a nose in front.

5) No Swede/ Scandinavian and a certain absence of experience. Without wishing to make it sound like a political move i do believe that it will serve a function to have one of the many Swedes on the team. Hanson is there or there abouts, Stenson is off the boil completely so i would suggest the most likely on form alone is Robert Karlsson. I accept that his putting can be very nervy at times and that this is only a theory but he fits the experience route and has the distance for Celtic Manor.

6) i'd accept the 'Molinari brothers' suggestion if Monty had more room to play with but alas it isin't there and he unlikely to pick a debutant to partner another debutant regardless of them being brothers...... Could you imagine two italian brothers pucking the head off each other if things went pear shaped.... It would be more entertaining than any 'Team Phil &Tiger' show from the past.

7) Discount anybody beyond Rhys Davis on either list. Sorry Darren.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Mackman15 wrote:World Points List
Pos Player Name
1 Lee WESTWOOD
2 Rory MCILROY
3 Martin KAYMER
4 Graeme MCDOWELL

5 Luke D.
6 Ed Molinari
7 Ian Poulter
8 Paddy H.
9 Justin Rose
10 Francesco MOLINARI

European Points List
Pos Player Name
1 Lee WESTWOOD
2 Martin KAYMER
3 Rory MCILROY
4 Graeme MCDOWELL

5 Ian P.
6 Ross FISHER
7 Francesco MOLINARI
8 Miguel Angel JIMÉNEZ
9 Paul Casey

10 P Harrington

1) Can't continence Harrington not being picked, just can't see it. Although there was great 'Copy' made of the fact last time that Faldo had given Poulter a free pass from Gleneagles rather than challanging him to go and get himself into the team and provide Faldo with two choices rather than the one, a position enforced by Poulter. PH has told Monty that he is committed to a Special Olympics event on at the same time as Gleneagles and that he won't be changing his schedule. Terrific organisation that it is i accept and a very strong gesture from Harrington IMO which could, (albeit unlikely) blow up in his face. Monty doesn't strike me as one to be backed into a corner and if the cap fits last time out....... Same can be said in some respects for Casey who is standing at the Cliff edge.
He will pick Harrington because he rates him so highly. Potentially a Cup winner, however, more likely to hinder Europe with his form at the moment. His singles record is going south whilst his driving would infuriate a 4somes partner. Politically tho', Monty won't cause a sensation and will pick him. I wouldn't pick him but I'm not captain.

2) The Langer thing is a non story ...... Move on.
Non event.

4) Very hard to see passed Donald and Rose simply on standings both are within touching distance on both points lists. Donald being a nose in front.
Both these are fine technical exponents of the game. Finding suitable 4somes partners is a big conumdrum for Monty, Donald is straight off the tee but very short and a distinctly average putter, no great loss IMHO. Rose is by far the better Golfer but who to pair him with? I think Casey would be a good option.

5) No Swede/ Scandinavian and a certain absence of experience. Without wishing to make it sound like a political move i do believe that it will serve a function to have one of the many Swedes on the team. Hanson is there or there abouts, Stenson is off the boil completely so i would suggest the most likely on form alone is Robert Karlsson. I accept that his putting can be very nervy at times and that this is only a theory but he fits the experience route and has the distance for Celtic Manor.
I wouldn't mind either on the team. They are proud Men who won't let Europe down. Swedes and Danes have a great record in the Ryder Cup. Karlsson hammered Leonard 5&3 in the singles on 2008. Hes played 4somes with Harrington and has the 54 hole record around celtic manor.

6) i'd accept the 'Molinari brothers' suggestion if Monty had more room to play with but alas it isin't there and he unlikely to pick a debutant to partner another debutant regardless of them being brothers...... Could you imagine two italian brothers pucking the head off each other if things went pear shaped.... It would be more entertaining than any 'Team Phil &Tiger' show from the past.
I agree with your assertion, IMHO the jury is still out on Eduardo Molinari. The opposite could happen where the 2 of 'em develop a complex and siege-like mentality much like those those other 2 latin legends Seve & Ollie. I wouldn't discount them just yet.

7) Discount anybody beyond Rhys Davis on either list. Sorry Darren
Maybe so Mackman but Clarke has a habit of upping his game for the Ryder Cup..a la K Club. He rarely if ever lets us down and is a real jewel in the European crown. Ask Lee Westwood who he'd like to partner going into battle against Mickelson & Furyk, Woods & DiMarco, Duval & LoveIII etc. And whats more, I know who my money would be on
3 Gold Stars
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

One scenario which hasn't been considered yet is what would happen if Westwood were to be declared unfit.
It certainly sounds as if he'd be physically fit but whether he'd be 'match fit' is another thing.
If that were the case I assume it goes to the next best qualified which at this stage is Harrington.

We should add in to the mix

8 ) The Czech Open– Don’t be surprised if someone like Dyson or Hanson comes right out of the pack and straight in there to scatter the bottom order. Realistically i think only the winning of it would cause waves but nonetheless.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Mackman15 wrote:One scenario which hasn't been considered yet is what would happen if Westwood were to be declared unfit.
It certainly sounds as if he'd be physically fit but whether he'd be 'match fit' is another thing.
If that were the case I assume it goes to the next best qualified which at this stage is Harrington.

We should add in to the mix

8 ) The Czech Open– Don’t be surprised if someone like Dyson or Hanson comes right out of the pack and straight in there to scatter the bottom order. Realistically i think only the winning of it would cause waves but nonetheless.
..also

9) Celtic Manor is a US type Golf Course. This will suit the yanks and it won't be the stroll in the park for Europe that some are suggesting.
3 Gold Stars
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

On the 'getting there' question, birmingham to newport on the train is less than two hours and cheap as chips if booked in advance. The drive would also be quicker than Holyhead, and probably similar to Fishguard.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Degz wrote:On the 'getting there' question, birmingham to newport on the train is less than two hours and cheap as chips if booked in advance. The drive would also be quicker than Holyhead, and probably similar to Fishguard.
Flights in and out of Bristol are the gig for me.